Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly tying kit  (Read 5193 times)

Bassonator

• Old Timer
Fly tying kit
« on: August 26, 2009, 10:09:29 AM »

Any one know where to pick up a starter fly tying kit at a reasonable price, or is it better to buy seperately.
Take the T out of Morton.

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Fly tying kit
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 12:10:51 PM »

I would recommend buying it separately.  MOST of the time, not all, but most, you'll get second rate equipment and materials when you go with a kit.  Top notch stuff REALLY does make tying easier....I struggled with a crappy set of scissors and lousy bobbin for years before upgrading, it was a revelation haha...

Go to a shop where the guys tie their own, they will know what works, and have them set up a kit for you.  Have fun, nothing as rewarding as catching on your own inventions.

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 12:34:17 PM »

It would cost more to make your own, Nut I would do it. The stuff you get in a starter kit is not very good.

Get a decent vice, bobbin, scissors, etc.... (Don't buy a Cheap vice you will regret it), but you don't need to spend hundreds to get a good one either.

Then, figure out what kind of flies you want to start to tie and get the materials for them. From there, you WILL by more and more materials!!!

In my FlyTying class that I teach, I start with a few simple patterns;

-Micro Leech
-Chironomids
-Wooly Bugger
-Doc Spratley
-And one dry fly (Tom Thumb or Caddis)

That is how I would start.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 01:04:13 PM »

Thnx for the input guys, I will head to fly shop on friday and see whats available.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 02:15:47 PM »

OH AND very important.....

organize your stuff FROM THE BEGINNING!!!!

you'll waste way less and have far fewer multiple purchases.....I've bought the SAME bead eyes about 3x because I can't find my old ones.....then a day later they show up mixed in with my scissors and other stuff. Also, stuff that might seem obvious but lots of people don't do it....keep epoxy away from all your other materials.  Get some "kitchen" scissors for thicker materials that will ruin your nice scissors, and DONT skimp on tying thread.

Wal mart has a nice sized "organizer" type tackle box right now, its huge, for about 35 bucks or something in that arena.  It'll serve as a good basic container for most of your gear.  You pay too much at fishing shops for the organizers.  Depending on how much space you are going to dedicate to tying, you might want to get some of the rolling organizers too, stack of 5 drawers on wheels....very nice and you can tuck it into the closet when not in use.

Zip-loc and natural fibres (fur, bucktail, deer hair etc.) you have, and when you open the bag to use them, hold yer breath :D

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 02:18:44 PM »

OH AND very important.....

organize your stuff FROM THE BEGINNING!!!!

you'll waste way less and have far fewer multiple purchases.....I've bought the SAME bead eyes about 3x because I can't find my old ones.....then a day later they show up mixed in with my scissors and other stuff. Also, stuff that might seem obvious but lots of people don't do it....keep epoxy away from all your other materials.  Get some "kitchen" scissors for thicker materials that will ruin your nice scissors, and DONT skimp on tying thread.

Wal mart has a nice sized "organizer" type tackle box right now, its huge, for about 35 bucks or something in that arena.  It'll serve as a good basic container for most of your gear.  You pay too much at fishing shops for the organizers.  Depending on how much space you are going to dedicate to tying, you might want to get some of the rolling organizers too, stack of 5 drawers on wheels....very nice and you can tuck it into the closet when not in use.

Zip-loc and natural fibres (fur, bucktail, deer hair etc.) you have, and when you open the bag to use them, hold yer breath :D

GREAT ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 08:57:09 PM »

Thnx again going out tomorrow to spend some money..... ;D

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 09:15:15 PM »

Bassonator you can get a knock off Regal vice for like $50 bucks. I have one and it works great for big hooks to little tiny ones. its not a rotary vice unless your creative LOL but as a beginning tyer you wont want a rotary yet anyhow. My next vice will be a full rotary because i could really use it alot of the time to speed me up.

I started with a beginners tying kit because i got one for a Bday years ago. it sat in a box until about a year and half ago.. since then i have probably dropped over $1000 on tying materials and tools and i dont think i even used any of the material from the beginners kit except the vice for a bit  ::)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 10:53:34 PM »

There are only two starter kits I would recommend. "Angler" available at Walmart and "Dragonfly" available at most fly shops; these two were designed for BC and our fish. Every other one I have see, no matter what the price, look to made generic for all of North America, which does not work. Both the "Angler" and the "Dragonfly" will get you started off on the right foot, but be aware that you will want to be adding to these basic supplies quickly.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 11:06:48 AM »

--fly shop should give you a discount and make up a starter kit. 
--they should also have equipment to try.

--If you take lessons from the shop you will likely get to try different tools and then make best selecton for you.
--these are reasons to go to a specialty fishing store rather than buy off the rack stuff at a big box discount store.