Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hooked in the corner of the salmon's mouth - proper or flossed or you can't  (Read 10343 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

if the hook is in the corner of the salmon's mouth - properly hooked or flossed or you can't really tell?

river walker

Re: hooked in the corner of the salmon's mouth - proper or flossed or you can't
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 12:33:56 PM »

if it is hooked from the inside out it is proper.....Outside in flossed!
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 12:42:49 PM »

if it is hooked from the inside out it is proper.....Outside in flossed!

good;thanks
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:10:55 PM by dennisK »

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 12:49:14 PM »

In a lot of cases if the hook is on the outside the fish has been flossed but in some instances when the fisherman is late on the hook set the hook can end up embedded on the outer portion of the jaw,i am assuming of course that the type of fishing is not bottom bouncing,i have seen occasionally when fishing with roe or blades a fish get hooked on the outer jaw ,with roe this is usually caused by sleeping at the wheel and as a result a late hook set,with blades sometimes the fish will attack your blade from the side and not get the hook in its mouth,resulting in a hook in the outer portion of the jaw.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

one more cast

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 01:40:36 PM »

In a lot of cases if the hook is on the outside the fish has been flossed but in some instances when the fisherman is late on the hook set the hook can end up embedded on the outer portion of the jaw,i am assuming of course that the type of fishing is not bottom bouncing,i have seen occasionally when fishing with roe or blades a fish get hooked on the outer jaw ,with roe this is usually caused by sleeping at the wheel and as a result a late hook set,with blades sometimes the fish will attack your blade from the side and not get the hook in its mouth,resulting in a hook in the outer portion of the jaw.

That's my reasoning also...but is it a keeper if it's outside but in the mouth??

-Steve

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 01:48:54 PM »

Any fish that is hooked any

That's my reasoning also...but is it a keeper if it's outside but in the mouth??

-Steve
if a fish is hooked any where other than inside of the mouth it is considered to be snagged by legal definition,there for the fish should be released unharmed.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 02:13:34 PM »

If your fishing just off the bottom its hard to tell, but if your short floatin 2 or more feet off the bottom most likely the fish attempted to take the hook. Just because a hook is in a fishes mouth doesnt necessarly mean it bit, and even if the hook is out side the mouth, they could have tried to bite.

Iv seen different instances, where people have been bar fishing the fraser, and the fish (6 pound trout) attacked the spinning glow, and it ended up in the top of its head. Also seen spinned 18 inchs off a weight on a short float rig set a 1 inch, and the hook was set into the middle of the gill plate. But I believe the rules are the hook poinr must be within the mouth lining, although many people keep fish hook on the outside of the mouth lining.
The Bigger The Better!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 03:01:46 PM »

You need to look at the way the water flows. That is the biggest clue whether it is flossed or not!
weeeeeeeeeow!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 05:55:05 PM »

You can never really tell.
But if you keep you leader short and do not intentionally try to floss them,
you are ok.

poper

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 06:17:22 PM »

If the fish is hooked any where inside the mouth it is legal and if it is on the outside the mouth it is legal!It cant be in the outside of the head!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 06:21:50 PM »

I've flossed Fraser sockeye which ended with the hook in their tongue, as I have caught coho in frog water that certainly hit the fly, but the hook still ended on the outside of the lip.
From my experience, you can never tell 100%.

Where the hook ends doesn't really matter; what matters is the angler's intention.

fisherwithrod

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 04:12:12 PM »

Here is a definition from the regulation synopsis:
"snagging (foul hooking)… [is] hooking a fish in any other part of its body other than the mouth.
Attempting to snag fish of any species is prohibited.
Any fish willfully or accidently snagged must be released immediately."

My view? As long as the hook is at the mouth, be it outside or inside (of course, assuming that one does not intend to snag), it is ok to keep.

As someone earlier said, I also had trout biting at my worm and it ended up with the hook in the head or near the mouth, so it is difficult to tell...

The fish presumably bites the bait, which is almost always at some distance from the hook, so it is possible to bite the bait but not the hook, and when one sets the hook it is possible that the hook will end up outside the mouth.

Short leaders can also snag fish, of course, perhaps with a different rate of occurence, but it still happens...