Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 Federal Election - Questions to be asked  (Read 22944 times)

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
2008 Federal Election - Questions to be asked
« on: September 12, 2008, 12:32:56 PM »

For those that don’t already know, the Sportfishing Defence Alliance (SDA) has written to the heads your political parties, with a series of questions, asking for a response by Sep 30.  Nice to know someone is asking.

Regarding the September/October 2008 Federal Election

1 – What position does your party have on the Common Law Right of Canadians to participate in the fisheries?

2 – Over the last few years the Habitat Protection Staff (Enforcement) of Fisheries and Oceans Canada has been reduced by over 60%. What is the policy of your party with regard to rebuilding and expanding the enforcement capability to protect our threatened fish habitat?

3 – Recently the Government of Canada voted to approve legislation bringing into and under constitutional law, a Treaty with the Tsawwassen First Nation in British Columbia. This legislation went to Parliamentary Committee for review and report back to the House before the House vote. This Parliamentary Committee refused to hear submissions from many concerned Canadians and Canadian Organizations regarding the impacts of this Treaty on the Rights of other Canadians.

Does your party support this refusal to hear from concerned Canadians as a standard policy or will you provide for the opportunity for such Canadians to appear before Committee in the future when similar legislation is before the House?

4 – The Tsawwassen Treaty just recently adopted by the House of Commons provides for the allocation of a fixed percentage of salmon for commercial harvest to the Tsawwassen band in perpetuity. This action, of excluding forever from public access, a percentage of the public resource is an infringement on the Public Right To Fish. Such an action is illegal without accompanying “competent legislation”.

Does your party support this permanent infringement on the Public Right? Will your party bring in “competent legislation” to legalize this infringement?

58 – Canadian negotiators have just recently successfully negotiated a new agreement with the U.S. for the Canada/U.S. Pacific Salmon Treaty. The negotiated terms for this Treaty, particularly as they relate to Chinook and Coho salmon are a major step forward in aiding in the rebuilding these stocks and ensuring Canadians have a greater opportunity to reap the benefits of our own fish production.

Upon completion of this election campaign and the return of the House of Commons to operation, will your party vote to have the currently negotiated Pacific Salmon Treaty, approved, confirmed and adopted by the government of Canada?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: 2008 Federal Election - Questions to be asked
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:33:25 AM »

Thanks for posting and the SDA should also be asking the Federal Government why their FOC bureaucrats are allowing their Provincial counterparts from the present Liberal Government to continue destroying fish habitat on the Fraser River and the Chilliwack Vedder Riverall in the name of the false statement that it is for flood protection.

The present Provincial Environment Minister to date has refused to meet with the Fraser River Ad Hoc Gravel Committee, I guess I can understand as he knows the stand they are taking is wrong and it will cause his government less harm to stay away and hid in a corner.

My experience over the years has been it is better to face up to any issue than just hoping it will go away which this is not going to happen let me tell you.

A final note is even if the position the Ad Hoc Committee is presenting was 100% wrong at least have the decency to sit down in meet even if it means travelling to Victoria that Mr Penner did say recently in a Chilliwack Progress article which he has not responded to yet after a  request a few weeks ago by one of our members. Very disappointing to me as one that worked for the party for a number of years. :(  :-[ My Liberal membership card is still in my wallet but I can see a card burning ceremony in the not too distant future, on a Fraser River gravel bar, maybe just before the election next May.

Terry D

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 10:29:02 AM »

Chris, have you asked the SDA yet if they are taking any action on this matter?  I don't mind asking for you, but as a new resident to the area, I feel I don't have enough background information/experience in this area to take the arguments on myself.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 12:53:55 PM »

Chris, have you asked the SDA yet if they are taking any action on this matter?  I don't mind asking for you, but as a new resident to the area, I feel I don't have enough background information/experience in this area to take the arguments on myself.
I was on the SDA since it started many years ago but are not actively involved the last year as cut  back on some groups as no time to hunt or fish because of so many meetings. However I correspond with Bill all the time and he is working along with the Fraser River Gravel Ad Hoc Committee from afar.

One can always write letters to all levels of government showing your displeasure.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 02:47:57 PM »

Thanks for the reply Chuck and the invitation but I am away this Saturday at the senior games in Prince George. All the best in the election, I will be supporting you even though I am very concerned the way FOC and the Federal Government as well as the present Provincial Government is handling the gravel excavation on the Fraser River. As you may know the Fraser River Gravel Ad Hoc comittee has sent a petiton letter to the Auditor General some time ago so we will see where that goes. Our committee needs to meet with you at some stage to discuss this very important issue.

Regards,

Chris

----- Original Message -----
Date: Friday, September 12, 2008 2:55 pm
Subject: Personal Invitation to Open House - #2
To: Chris Gadsden

> Hi Chris,
>
> I sent out an email this week, asking people to comment on the
> election and the issues near and dear to their hearts. It looks
> like
> a case of "be careful what you ask for", because I got about 300
> responses! Thank you very much, though it means it's going to
> take
> awhile to respond to each one individually. In the meantime, if
> you're looking for some of the Conservative platform details,
> you
> might find some answers at my website … 
> www.ChuckStrahl.com
>
> >

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 08:17:19 PM »

Id vote conservative myself, ive been getting things to register to vote for a couple years now but havent even bothered...I guess young people just dont care about voting anymore  :D
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 10:49:25 PM »

I guess young people just dont care about voting anymore  :D
I vote.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 12:04:40 AM »

a joke dion, thats all
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Terry D

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 09:24:25 AM »

I'd like to vote but I'm not allowed to yet.  Nevertheless, I'll be taking notes until I can vote, probably sometime after Oct 2010.  Should have a better idea by then about who actually cares about fish and the fishing.

Terry D

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 12:31:20 PM »

The Conservative's response to the SDA's questions. As Bill says:-

To all - This appears to be the Conservative Response to our questions. These guys are even more warm and fuzzy than the Liberals, never thought that was possible.
Bill Otway

The Conservative Party of Canada

September 16, 2008

Bill Otway, President
Sportfishing Defence Alliance
P.O. Box 326 Merritt, B.C.   V1K 1B8

Dear Mr. Otway,
Thank you for your correspondence dated September 9, 2008.

As I'm sure you know, the Conservative Government is committed to ensuring that our country’s fisheries resources and operations are managed in a responsible manner for current and future generations of Canadians.  Our Government also recognizes that recreational fishing makes a valuable contribution to both the quality of life and the economic development of our communities.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns and would also like to take this time to thank your organization for the continued support of the Canada-US Salmon Treaty.

Sincerely,

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 05:55:21 PM »

I guess they didn't have the know how to correctly respond to this mail...

It does not suprise me, you really don't know the fine details of what you are getting when you vote conservative...

They are pro resource extraction, and anti environment... Their absence of an environmental plan should speak volumes about how much they care about salmon.

And with no salmon, there is no need to talk about treaties, or fishing management plans...

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 07:06:32 PM »

The Conservative's response to the SDA's questions. As Bill says:-

To all - This appears to be the Conservative Response to our questions. These guys are even more warm and fuzzy than the Liberals, never thought that was possible.
Bill Otway

September 16, 2008

Bill Otway, President
Sportfishing Defence Alliance
P.O. Box 326 Merritt, B.C.   V1K 1B8

Dear Mr. Otway,
Thank you for your correspondence dated September 9, 2008.

As I'm sure you know, the Conservative Government is committed to ensuring that our country’s fisheries resources and operations are managed in a responsible manner for current and future generations of Canadians.  Our Government also recognizes that recreational fishing makes a valuable contribution to both the quality of life and the economic development of our communities.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns and would also like to take this time to thank your organization for the continued support of the Canada-US Salmon Treaty.

Sincerely,

Alot of mumble jumbo

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 07:44:26 PM »

The letter to Barry Penner requesting a meeting with the Fraser River Ad Hoc tewardsip Gravel Removal Committee was written by yours truly on August 13.2008. To date there has been no reply and I will be writing an additional letter very soon. One month should be ample time for a response, don't you think? The current BC goernment has been referred to as "arrogant" and this no response is a prime example.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 08:11:03 PM »

The letter to Barry Penner requesting a meeting with the Fraser River Ad Hoc tewardsip Gravel Removal Committee was written by yours truly on August 13.2008. To date there has been no reply and I will be writing an additional letter very soon. One month should be ample time for a response, don't you think? The current BC goernment has been referred to as "arrogant" and this no response is a prime example.

Having worked for the government and did ministerial responses six weeks is not unreasonable. You should have received at least a letter of acknowledgement within 30 days.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 10:11:49 PM »

I just received my letter from the Adams River marina and condo protest, I sent that April 22nd, and they sent the response september 15th...

I was suprised to get a response at all...

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin