Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder gravel extraction?  (Read 25937 times)

circle c

Vedder gravel extraction?
« on: September 04, 2008, 08:54:02 PM »

Has anyone seen where they are taking gravel at this time and in recent weeks?  Are these decent places to try for coho in the later weeks?

Thanks, Tj

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder gravel extraction?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 09:30:21 PM »

As a matter of fact I have  ;D

This is down below the crossing.... There are also a few down at Lickman. These may not be very good at all this year for coho however because, unlike previous years, they have not dug trenches into these backwashes so nothing can get in or out of them. They may come back to dig places for water to enter and exit biut I highly doubt it.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 11:36:33 PM »

There is one at Webster, access via the gravel pit parking lot from the Vedder River Campground is denied. The whole pit is filled with a big mountain of gravel right now.

There is another one just downstream from the railway bridge.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 02:14:14 PM »

there is also one at browne rd.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 05:20:22 PM »

Should never be allowed as all it is, is a gravel grab just like on the Fraser River. One day when we stop the distruction of fish habitat on the Fraser we must tackle this too. Just think of the fish that come into these ponds and say "hey this looks like a nice place to raise a family". After they have laid there precious eggs the water level comes up with the Fall rains, the rising water caves in the sides of these destructive ponds and the eggs are lost being covered with many feet of gravel.

Also all this loosing of gravel cause the gravel to move around more than it should covering other spawning beds as well.

If it would not be for the Chilliwack River Hatchery the river would soon be devoid of fish and of course there would be little or no fishing opportunity.

Once again it is big business and some political parties that push for this every two years.

I donot know how those that allow this to happen and should be in charge of protecting fish habitat sleep at night, I know I could not but once again it seems money is more important than anything else, to some.  :'( :-[ :o :( >:(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 05:22:54 PM »

Can be good for fishing a lure or fly fishing properly but some people in the past just use these areas as snagging grounds.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 07:19:58 PM »

Chris I do not think that we will have problems with fish staging or for that matter even getting into these things this year. The gravel company no longer seems to be digging those trenches leading in and out of them anymore. The one down by Lickman has a small one but only like a foot deep at most so I dont think fish will be swimming in there, one can only hope I guess  ::)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 07:28:21 PM »

I hope you are correct but once the water level comes up water will flow in and out and the fish tend to hold in these deep holes.

circle c

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 10:12:59 AM »

Thanks for the replies and photos everyone.

Tj

slider51

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 08:01:12 PM »

Stupid question here but why are they digging up the gravel?

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 08:14:48 PM »

$

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 08:18:02 PM »

Preparation for flood of the century on October 5th. Everybody should stay home that day, the fishing will be terrible.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 08:29:26 PM »

Preparation for flood of the century on October 5th. Everybody should stay home that day, the fishing will be terrible.

;D  They say that every year.... it always come either a month early or a month late. I would say count on it to be in 8 days and don't come out fishing after that (as of course the river will be totally unfishable) ;D

TwoLabs

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 10:50:35 AM »

I can't believe this is allowed along a stream especailly one where anadramous fish travel through.  Where I live you must install a barrier if you are building along a waterway and you cannot even push rocks off the road into the river. they must be picked up and hauled away.

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 01:44:51 PM »

I had a look at the pond near Vedder Bridge just yesterday afternoon.  They have made a shallow opening at both ends so there is some flow in and out of the pond.  Although I can't see it staying neat and tidy for long as the 'walls' are sure to collapse down a bit with the next floods or any slight pressure.

The environmental experts really need to be in on this from start to finish, to see the true effects on the fish and their spawnings.  I hope they are, as I just can't see any news from this being good at the moment.