Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sage 3106L  (Read 18585 times)

dan

• I'm a llama!
Sage 3106L
« on: January 05, 2007, 09:00:31 AM »

Mod: This topic is split from the original post in the buy and sell. PLEASE carry on discussions in the general discussion area and stop hijacking buy and sell threads.

When did they make a "green" Sage 3106L drift rod blank
Factory built rods are "L's" and custom built rods are "LB's" "B" meaning blank correct???
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 05:05:34 PM by Rodney »

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Sage 3106L
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 10:14:28 AM »

its a factory rod therefore its green
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 10:33:26 AM »

its a factory rod therefore its green
You can just buy the green blank  now.

dan

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 11:15:44 AM »

Ok Thanks for clearing that up
Dan

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 11:42:20 AM »

What the difference between a 3106L and the 3113LB(in action wise or line rated).    Thanks

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 11:47:16 AM »

I heard the brown and green sage rods are all the same just painted different color

^ U HEARD WRONG ! IS THAT WHAT BIG STEEL TOLD U ?

MY OPINION : THEY SURE DON'T MAKE THEM LIKE THEY USE TO !

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 12:18:39 PM »

I was at a certain Tackle shop yesterday and I was told by both the owner and his worker that the two ( Green and Brown ) are made on the same machines with the same products by the same people and are exactly the same except for colour
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 12:52:23 PM »

i just don't believe that..... as a rod builder i notice the subtle differrences.. the greens are indeed faster...though maybe not by much, and i'd be very interested in putting two identical models in brown and green on a scale to see what the wieght difference is. I had a tackle shop owner tell me that the sage green blanks were going to go offshore .... i didn't necessarily believe that one either. Also, when they changed the ol' RPL fly rods to the VPS, evryone said they were the same blank, just cosmetically different..... I didn't believe that one either.... and rightly so. Who knows.... i just can't stand that sage can't just leave well enough alone.... I understand from a marketting perspective BUT as a retailer..... every time sage remodels a rod line... they leave us holding inventory that is now "outdated". Pick a winner and stay with it.... BRING BACK THE RPL and the BROWN blank drift/ocean rods! ;D ;D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 03:18:03 PM »

sorry to hijack this thread again ;D
 but.....the simple test we performed on the 4120, 3106 and the 3113 was this. fix 2 scotty or similar rod holders to a sturdy surface, set the angle at 45 degrees and inches apart. We used a very accurate digital scale to weigh exactly 5 oz of lead. each rod was strung with a loop in the line that went around the butt cap and up the rod through the guides with 2 feet hanging from the tip. The rods weere -placed in the rod holders and i used a fabricators angle finder to set the rod's angles to 45 degrees. the 5 oz weights were put on the end of the lines and the bends in the two rods were compared for each model. One holder held a new sage model and one held the brown blank model. you try it and you'll see what we found..... they just ain't the same animal.... close, but no cigar.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 03:34:09 PM »

It was actually the sage rep that had said that the new green and the old brown sages were in fact the same just a different color. Maybe they where told to say that because they have noticed a drop in sales. I do not know who is correct nor do I care as I own the old brown one  ;D ;D , but if I owned one of the green ones I would still enjoy fishing with it.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 04:34:09 PM »

i own a new green 3113mb and its a fantastic rod, id rather own it than an older brown one because if you break the new one they replace the broken piece and your ready to fish, they only replace the broken section by giving you the blank so you have to get it tied.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 04:51:28 PM »

don't get me wrong... the green sages are very nice rods... and definately a worthy purchase... just not for me ;D

mikeNW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 06:57:53 PM »

Any "B" in a sage rod designation simply means it's a blank not factory rod.The "L" version of any Sage drift rod means it has a slower action.If you have a 3106LB then it's a slow action 3106 blank.If it is a 3106L then it's a factory rod.That simple.And for the record the new green blanks from Sage have the identical action to the old brown ones.I've used the two side by side.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 07:01:33 PM »

Thank you for clarifing that. I always wondered what the LB was for.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 07:32:13 PM »

You guys crack me up, your describing how you test golf shafts...but it's done on a board..(which if you took one to a shop they could probably do a frequency analysis on it...

That all said, graphite golf shafts and rod blanks have a few minor similarities..one of them is, No two shafts are alike...I would assume that could also be said for the sage blanks...