Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WTB Looking for advice  (Read 1683 times)

EZ_Rolling

WTB Looking for advice
« on: November 19, 2006, 03:29:20 PM »

Hi

I have seen several posts re: Upgrading Abu Garcia reels ...

I am very interested in getting another reel but have noticed there are several different models and lines of this reel.

I am hopping I could get some advice as the first reel I bought this year is still at Fred's being repaired  :'( (I ripped the reel right off the seat and a new body is on order I assume the springs I was catching were to heavy for my Okuma 250

is the 6000 better than a 5500C3 I really could use some advice.

BTW the guy's at Fred's are AWESOME they gave me a loaner Diawa 400 loaner not sure how it compares to the Abu's but it is a nice reel

Thanks  ;D

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: WTB Looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 07:54:45 PM »

If you are going to be fishing for springs, and if you stick with an Abu Garcia then IMO you would want the 6500 C3. You will probably see on other threads that others would favour the Shimano reels but you will pay a bit more. One thing to keep in mind is the amount of pressure you put on the reel when fighting a fish. I have always been told that when fighting a big fish, only reel as you are pumping the fish in on the downward stroke. However, if you choose to winch a fish in, then that will cause a lot of wear and tear on the reel, and eventually a breakdown. Just my two cents worth.