Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GOODNESS of sockeye fishery  (Read 8062 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: GOODNESS of sockeye fishery
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 04:51:27 PM »

So you are out there one day and you are a law-abiding and nature caring person?
Sorry to burst your bubble. But a few family friend and my family visit parks, playgrounds, and fishing grounds do cleaning up many times a year, just to teach kids be sure not to be a burden on nature and society. 

We're glad that there are others that would help to make those fishing grounds a better place. But when you start being sarcastic, biased, over generalizing, you're not much better.

buck

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 04:58:41 PM »

Sockeye fishings finished guys, give it a rest.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 05:10:04 PM »

So you are out there one day and you are a law-abiding and nature caring person?
Sorry to burst your bubble. But a few family friend and my family visit parks, playgrounds, and fishing grounds do cleaning up many times a year, just to teach kids be sure not to be a burden on nature and society. 

We're glad that there are others that would help to make those fishing grounds a better place. But when you start being sarcastic, biased, over generalizing, you're not much better.

its my attempt at a "shame the Johns" deal.
I'm not gonna list my bad or good deeds, I didn't do em for credit or to be a hero, but I'm sure gonna squawk when I see something that hurts whatever I feel passionate about, and I wish more people would also.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 05:53:12 PM »

People should always bring at least a shopping bag along each time they fish, and do a little cleanup of the area around them. I try to do that every trip now, to make up for not going on one of those major clean ups you guy's do. Though I'm sure i'll join you soon cleaning up as well. I made special trips to the Coquitlam to pick up all the batteries left in and around the river. I do a lot of hiking up to places and you see the garbage in some of the most scenic areas :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

leadbelly

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 06:04:09 PM »

its true.In one conversation i had with a relative working in forestry I was told there is not one remote spot on the rock or the smaller islands that is bare of litter, the most common was MacDonald's wrappers.Thoughtlessness is rampant but i can only complain about or help deal with one area at a time.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 06:59:51 PM »

All good points from everyone both of the negative and the postive.  My GOODNESS of the fishery was that I got my future brother in law and his wife out and she managed to have a great time by hooking fish left right and centre.  She's been out in a float tube now and is learning to fly cast.  Anything to get people certainly more interested in fishing is the plus but any guest that was taken out was given strict instructions that this is only to be done here and nowhere else.  My new thing this year was to bring along a bag each time and clean the stretch of shore as best as I could.  I came at all times of the season so it should be pretty clear until next year.

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 11:38:14 PM »

This was the first time I had the opportunity to get out and partake in the harvest to the degree that I did!  Had a lot of fun and met some great people!  A lot of very good discussion other than fishing.  Witnessed several people cleaning up the banks and showing responsibile attitudes, at least where I did most of my fishing!  Yes Peg was a zoo!!!  Don't know what we can do!  But overall it was a good season. 

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2006, 11:42:49 PM »

Talking about litter,,, try your local middle or high school! Yes a lot of the banks were a mess but look around the lower mainland in general!  Where ever people are in large numbers there is a lot of garbage.  You should come up here after MOuntain Fest! If only we can get people to realize or at least care!

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2006, 11:53:17 PM »

Actually I had a chance to show my nephew (a younster new to fishing) what to do after we caught our limit. After we limited & packed up at Seabird, he saw me picking up bundles of tangled lines stuck to rocks & he asked why. He got a little lesson about showing some responsbility to the river and the goodness nature gives us. It is up to invidividuals what they want to do with their fishing. We cannot control what others want to do. We can only do our own. BwiBwi has a valid point. A great many sockeye fishermen do their own clean up in their own bars or parks w/o saying much. To blanket label them as villains to the river is not fair.

Even w/o a big gathering, you'll still find people throwing out garbages every where. Just look at all the garbages littered on both sides of the free way if the cleaning crew did not work that section for a while. They don't need festivities to dump their wastes.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 12:02:36 AM by funfish »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2006, 11:56:27 PM »

Talking about litter,,, try your local middle or high school! Yes a lot of the banks were a mess but look around the lower mainland in general!  Where ever people are in large numbers there is a lot of garbage.  You should come up here after MOuntain Fest! If only we can get people to realize or at least care!
Got to keep working at it, the more people that take the time to cleanup one day it may be the trendy thing to do. I am working with the Environment Minister to try to get more teeth in the laws. Hit them where it hurts, in the pocket book.

Talking about the litter problem at schools that is where it could help if the school board, principal and teachers can work with the students to keep the school grounds clean. Everyday have one class go out and cleanup what has been dropped, maybe they will think twice about throwing it if they have to go out and clean it up later.

There is something for you to start at your school bigguy. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2006, 12:01:29 AM »

Actually I had a chance to show my nephew (new to fishing) what to do after we caught our limit. After we limited & packed up at Seabird, he saw me picking up bundles of tangled lines stuck to rocks & he asked why. He got a little lesson about showing some responsbility to the river and the goodness nature gives us. It is up to invidividuals what they want to do with their fishing. We cannot control what others want to do. We can only do our own. BwiBwi has a valid point. A great many sockeye fishermen do their own clean up in their own bars or parks w/o saying much. To blanket label them as villains to the river is not fair.
I wish some of the hundreds that were at Peg during the opening would have done the same. :( :( We picked up so much line on Saturday and there is still more out there. I hope the ones still out there bb'ing do not drop more but I imagine they will continue to do so as they continue to fish non selectively after the request from FOC to do so. They just want to continue to do there own thing, very sad in deed.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2006, 12:11:40 AM »

Peg is really a bad example of bbing. Besides being crowded, for some reason, it is also a magnet for newbies. Line crossing from short casting is almost non-stop. Sometimes lines are hopelessly tangled that people need to cut the lines, which probably contribute to lots of broken lines on the bar. The only good things about that bar is being the closest major bar with very few snags, and you get to park not too far from where you fish. Other smaller or more remote bars seem to attract more seasoned rods, and generally people are much more friendly & socialable to each other, and they keep their bars in much better shape than the larger bars.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 12:13:54 AM by funfish »

leadbelly

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2006, 05:53:35 AM »

thats like saying Pickton is a really bad example of a murderer ::)

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2006, 07:01:11 AM »

people are people nothing we can do about that . hopefully through education we can change the younger angler and the newbies. but untill then we fish theses bars and when we are done we pick up our garbage and theirs and maqke it a better place to fish for a little while anyways

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 09:43:27 PM »

Talking about the litter problem at schools that is where it could help if the school board, principal and teachers can work with the students to keep the school grounds clean. Everyday have one class go out and cleanup what has been dropped, maybe they will think twice about throwing it if they have to go out and clean it up later.

There is something for you to start at your school bigguy. ;D ;D

It is a problem Chris and I am one of the "Garbage Patrol" but man it is hard work! I have watched young teens standing only feet away from the cans and still drop their trash on the ground.  Was tols by one little S*&^ that I get paid to work at the school so then I should clean it up! We are working hard at developing the citizenship needed!  But when our kids see the litter all around town etc. how can we win!  But we will keep trying!