Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what happened to this salmon  (Read 15838 times)

mistermongz

Re: what happened to this salmon
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2011, 10:57:19 AM »

I never seen a spawning salmon died , this is my first year salmon fishing and I just start to fish last year,
the ones I landed are definitely all identified, 100% sure, don't act like you are educating me, I will not post if I know what it is,
if I do hook a salmon, it never looks like the one in my pic, hey it's a dead salmon on a road
no question is stupid, if I were to just catch any fish I wouldn't even post anything and just take any fish, just remember dude, don't act like you are something pro and educate me

maybe it's a stupid question, don't forget when  you were young at something, you started from asking
you may fish for years but I just started. and fyi, I started salmon fishing by wanting to salmon fishing, maybe you should ask yourself why you want to eat, maybe coz you just want to eat

I think you need to Relax!! wow a little education helps too you know. Everyday people learn new things. Sheesh dont take it the wrong way if someone wants to voice out and give you a little lecture. Next time someone tries to educate you just say " Thank You" this is an internet forum dont get so deffensive. And my friend google is ur friend when you dont know anything.
Fish on!!!

purple monster

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2011, 03:57:34 PM »

En route salmon mortality does occur.  That means that salmon died before spawning.  I am not sure on how you guys identified that this fish has spawned out.  Did anyone cut his gut open to see if the sperm bag is empty or if the eggs are gone??  The suggested finger prints look a lot more like sea lice scars to me and not fingermarks.

During august and September, I have seen tons of floating fishes on both the Fraser and Harrison,(sockeyes) and they died before spawning.  Both the sperm bag and the eggs were still with the fishes, and in most cases, actually were blow out of the fish.  They were en route deaths cause by disease.  From what I have learned, the eye popping out, making it easier for the birds to grap can be   attributed to be caused by the disease spread by the sea lice's.  It is the first symptom of what is called "salmon leukemia.  I have seen sockeye' eyes blowed right out and the carcasses still chrome , fresh and full of sperm and eggs.   All the dead sockeyes I have seen floating on the river were both chrome, fresh and way before having any chances to spawn.  I have seen thousands floating during the last months of summer.   

So, before making all kinds of conclusion and jokes, please remember that something is going on with the increase amount of sea lice infections, and that en route mortality is in increasing numbers.  And, please hope that this scenario is not propagating to the Chums as well.

I am no expert in the matter, but, it is easy to tell when a fish died before spawning or when fresh and chrome fishes are floating on the river, with multiple scars from the sea lice, and that they entire organs are bursting out of their bodies, that there is something wrong.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2011, 04:42:55 PM »

En route salmon mortality does occur.  That means that salmon died before spawning.  I am not sure on how you guys identified that this fish has spawned out.  Did anyone cut his gut open to see if the sperm bag is empty or if the eggs are gone??  The suggested finger prints look a lot more like sea lice scars to me and not fingermarks.

During august and September, I have seen tons of floating fishes on both the Fraser and Harrison,(sockeyes) and they died before spawning.  Both the sperm bag and the eggs were still with the fishes, and in most cases, actually were blow out of the fish.  They were en route deaths cause by disease.  From what I have learned, the eye popping out, making it easier for the birds to grap can be   attributed to be caused by the disease spread by the sea lice's.  It is the first symptom of what is called "salmon leukemia.  I have seen sockeye' eyes blowed right out and the carcasses still chrome , fresh and full of sperm and eggs.   All the dead sockeyes I have seen floating on the river were both chrome, fresh and way before having any chances to spawn.  I have seen thousands floating during the last months of summer.   

So, before making all kinds of conclusion and jokes, please remember that something is going on with the increase amount of sea lice infections, and that en route mortality is in increasing numbers.  And, please hope that this scenario is not propagating to the Chums as well.

I am no expert in the matter, but, it is easy to tell when a fish died before spawning or when fresh and chrome fishes are floating on the river, with multiple scars from the sea lice, and that they entire organs are bursting out of their bodies, that there is something wrong.

Okay, but the fish in question does appear to be spawned out (without looking inside), and it is far from chrome (the deterioration on the dorsal fin and the black belly are clues to the advanced state it was in before it died, most likely post spawn, but possibly from being hooked, dragged onto the bank and kicked back in because it was so black.  The finger prints comment was in jest I am sure. The pre spawn mortality of sockeye, especially on the Harrison, is well documented and has long been attributed to a variety of causes including infection, but also warmer water temperatures.  The new evidence presented at the Cohen inquiry is showing that there may be a larger issue affecting the Fraser Sockeye (and possibly other species as well).
Not all those who wander are lost

purple monster

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2011, 05:55:44 PM »

of course the finger print issue is in jest, and it definitely appears that there is a larger issue.  What I have seen in the past years is also a larger amount of these "en route " mortality floating down the river.   We have to be careful to not indulge too far in denial as well.   

"Control the food source, and you will control the population" is my biggest concern.   Available wild stock would of course interfere with this concept.

fisher man

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2011, 08:18:33 PM »

Just my 2 cents, but I think about 95% of the posters on this forum have to "chill out".  ;)

It's pretty annoying to have to read about salmon ethics on almost every post made in here. People, why don't you try a PM or something private if you want to get all ornery with each other or to "EDUCATE". We don't need to be calling each other out at every mishap in species ID, or lack of a proper landing net.

That salmon, btw, looks fantastic, but you really should have tailed it properly in the water and released it. It does have its adipose fin. Looks like a hatchery spring to me. Maybe a big male pink.
perfect. Couldn't have said better myself

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2011, 08:50:28 PM »

I wouldn't say this fish is spawned out at all.  Spawned out fish tend to have a concave belly.  Also, look at the background color of the fish - it is honestly not that far from chrome.  I have seen fin deterioration on chrome fish, so that is certainly no indicator.  Chum colors vary tremendously, but post-spawning they are usually an olive background with tiger stripes of purple, red, or green.  The black color of the head and fins looks to have happened post-mortem. 

Thankfully, I haven't seen many prematurely expiring fish this year on the Chedder.  That said, I haven't seen a single chum yet either!  I applaud frozensalmon for being observant of what is happening on the river.  If you venture out later in the season when the majority of chum are spawning, sit down and watch them for a while.  It is fascinating to see the males jockeying for position and defending their redds. 

And thanks for starting this lively discussion!

fishyfish

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2011, 11:21:52 PM »

Your all wrong. That is one of those Japanese salmon that was spawning too close to the river near the  reactor after the earthquake. I heard on the news we could be seeing some of those here on the coast. I wouldn't get too close and if you ever see them cut in two with say a machete they are even more harmful. I bet those thongs were black before  you got too close to the radio activity and now they are blue. Probably turned purple by the time you got home. Next time be more careful chum!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:24:14 PM by fishyfish »

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2011, 08:53:39 AM »

I'm more concerned about wet wading in October.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2011, 05:28:50 PM »

I'm more concerned about wet wading in October.

I broke out the neoprene for the first time and the seams are coming apart.  Looks like I will be wet wading until at least my birthday in mid November.
Not all those who wander are lost

SS Fintastic

« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2011, 12:38:05 AM »

This thread should be stickied