Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what happened to this salmon  (Read 15818 times)

JPW

Re: what happened to this salmon
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 10:43:33 AM »

The previous posters are rank amateurs and deluded armchair fisheries experts.

This salmon was obviously hatched sightless, with no eyes. Yet somehow, miraculously perhaps, it survived to migrate to the sea, mature to adulthood, and return to its natal steam. Tragically, due to its visual impairment, it was unable to find a mate and here it beached itself to die a death of abject dismay and lonliness, its teeth forever bared in a silent curse to its miserable existence and tragic demise.

That is what happened to this salmon.

Love it!  ;D

joy-of-fishing

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 12:52:10 PM »

Fishhunter, CHILL OUT! so what if you call in idiots, Majority call in idiots everyday. The responses you are getting in this thread is because you could nto identify a fish that was clearly a chum. Even if you said pink or spring maybe we would at least understand, but a sockeye come on, sockeye are red.......

Sorry had to get this off my chest.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2011, 01:07:45 PM »

Good for the smoker.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2011, 01:53:21 PM »

You need to spend more time on the river.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 06:42:12 PM »

that will be a common site come november/december once the fall runs die off and the carcases get swept into the bushes by high water. 

It is concerning though that there was any uncertainty as to the species of that fish...absolutely a chum AND in full spawn colors.  we all will run into a mix of fish in much better condition than that and if you cant tell a fish in its full spawning colors you are going to be unable to properly identify a clean chum from a coho, sockeye, chinook, etc. 

I totally understand the critical comments when it comes to an inability to properly identify fish.  Just goes to prove what many experienced anglers here feel: DFO needs a fishing licence test similiar to the hunting test (CORE) where you need to be able to identify the species you are targeting.

Frozensalmon, how many salmon have you retained in your life, how did you start salmon fishing?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 07:32:46 PM »

oh gee, what a capitol crime I have just committed. forgive me oh great one but I don't fish chum and have never caught one. I have seen sockeye that lose their redness after spawning and become miscolored after being dead a few days, and the ones I saw looked much like pictures of chum I have seen. [And I know the ones I saw were indeed socekeye for sure]

didn't know there was a mandatory species identification test to post on this site. chill out.

Chill out? I wasnt mad. I just pointed out the obvious. The chum when in their spawning colors are very obvious.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Nuggy

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2011, 07:53:08 PM »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What happened to this salmon?

I`m with the crew that says this fish died :-\

Cheers
Nuggy

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2011, 08:19:28 PM »

After considerable study I too have concluded that this salmon has expired. It's now releasing it's nutrients back into the system for future salmon.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2011, 09:38:07 PM »

Looks like it has a hand print just above the adipose.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2011, 09:56:27 PM »

I saw it twitch? Still looks good for the smoker though.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Oilcruzer

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2011, 10:19:58 PM »

Oh man I hate it when salmon get their buddies all drunk and paint em up when theyre sleeping. 

That chum will be pis$ed when he wakes and sees himself in the mirror.

Chuck23

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2011, 10:40:24 PM »

Just my 2 cents, but I think about 95% of the posters on this forum have to "chill out".  ;)

It's pretty annoying to have to read about salmon ethics on almost every post made in here. People, why don't you try a PM or something private if you want to get all ornery with each other or to "EDUCATE". We don't need to be calling each other out at every mishap in species ID, or lack of a proper landing net.

That salmon, btw, looks fantastic, but you really should have tailed it properly in the water and released it. It does have its adipose fin. Looks like a hatchery spring to me. Maybe a big male pink.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2011, 10:42:54 PM »

That's a chum that died from improper handling by an angler that decided not to retain it.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2011, 10:46:46 PM »

You are all wrong.

That's a Cultus Lake sockeye wearing a spawned chum Halloween costume.
It's October after all.

frozensalmon

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2011, 11:03:35 PM »

that will be a common site come november/december once the fall runs die off and the carcases get swept into the bushes by high water.  

It is concerning though that there was any uncertainty as to the species of that fish...absolutely a chum AND in full spawn colors.  we all will run into a mix of fish in much better condition than that and if you cant tell a fish in its full spawning colors you are going to be unable to properly identify a clean chum from a coho, sockeye, chinook, etc.  

I totally understand the critical comments when it comes to an inability to properly identify fish.  Just goes to prove what many experienced anglers here feel: DFO needs a fishing licence test similiar to the hunting test (CORE) where you need to be able to identify the species you are targeting.

Frozensalmon, how many salmon have you retained in your life, how did you start salmon fishing?

I never seen a spawning salmon died , this is my first year salmon fishing and I just start to fish last year,
the ones I landed are definitely all identified, 100% sure, don't act like you are educating me, I will not post if I know what it is,
if I do hook a salmon, it never looks like the one in my pic, hey it's a dead salmon on a road
no question is stupid, if I were to just catch any fish I wouldn't even post anything and just take any fish, just remember dude, don't act like you are something pro and educate me

maybe it's a stupid question, don't forget when  you were young at something, you started from asking
you may fish for years but I just started. and fyi, I started salmon fishing by wanting to salmon fishing, maybe you should ask yourself why you want to eat, maybe coz you just want to eat

more coho, more coho... ::)