Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 78785 times)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2022, 07:39:57 PM »

OMG.  Blah Blah Blah...  You are exhausting.
X2

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #226 on: August 30, 2022, 08:51:59 PM »

Oh and Costco needs that money far more than any Fn person... we all know how hard up they are!

this is all FNs really wanted - a chance to earn some money off a resource that is theirs rather than Jimmy Pattison.

What are you talking about I was talking about how shutting down commercial fisheries because they use nets for recreational fisheries. Only transfers money from the commercial industry to rec fishing industry.

It was in response to this post

“If you want to eat a sockeye you should have to go out and catch it yourself.  Removing the cash from the equation would solve everything.”

Also I have no issue with First Nations selling fish I would buy off them if it was legal in fact get rid of fsc fishing all together and let them sell or keep. A dead fish is a dead fish. I do find it interesting tho when they lobby to increase their fsc need on Fraser fish from 1 mill to 1.25 million if they have a desire to sell fish why lobby for more fsc.

There has already been over a million Fraser river sockeye harvested I think they could of found some opportunities for the Rec fishermen and commercial fishery.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 10:05:04 PM by wildmanyeah »

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #227 on: August 30, 2022, 09:03:22 PM »

OMG.  Blah Blah Blah...  You are exhausting.

He probably hears this from his wife a lot LOL!

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #228 on: August 30, 2022, 09:13:52 PM »

Sitting in a Chilliwack pub this afternoon enjoying a cold one. Some sketchy looking dude came in to the pub and went from table to table asking to sell fresh sockeye. I told him to beat it. A couple of the bar patrons did go outside with him to buy.
:-\ sad to hear.. You know to me it makes more sense for first nations to sell fish than big organizations like costco. But I have a huge problem when I can't go out myself and catch even two a day.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #229 on: August 30, 2022, 09:31:16 PM »

:-\ sad to hear.. You know to me it makes more sense for first nations to sell fish than big organizations like costco. But I have a huge problem when I can't go out myself and catch even two a day.

Costco buys fish from, sea food distributors who in turn buy fish off commercial fishermen, man who are owner operators.

First Nations also tap into this network when they have economic openings.

Many of the First Nation caught sockeye in port alberni where they have decided that they want more sale fish then fsc fish end up at places like saint jeans, where they get processed and sold
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 09:33:00 PM by wildmanyeah »

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #230 on: August 30, 2022, 11:19:24 PM »

He probably hears this from his wife a lot LOL!

Rude. We may not agree on salmon policy in this thread but personal attacks are uncalled for :-[

Stratocaster

• Old Timer

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #232 on: August 31, 2022, 07:35:22 AM »

Rude. We may not agree on salmon policy in this thread but personal attacks are uncalled for :-[

I saw this coming. These folks aren't capable of anything else once they have exhausted their small pool of exaggerated complaints & falsehoods. But thanks just the same.

and the guy who called me exhausting? Hilarious! Poor man, whines for hours  because he can't catch a sockeye but I am exhausting. ROTFLMAO!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 09:41:59 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #233 on: August 31, 2022, 07:49:01 AM »

What are you talking about I was talking about how shutting down commercial fisheries because they use nets for recreational fisheries. Only transfers money from the commercial industry to rec fishing industry.

It was in response to this post

“If you want to eat a sockeye you should have to go out and catch it yourself.  Removing the cash from the equation would solve everything.”

Also I have no issue with First Nations selling fish I would buy off them if it was legal in fact get rid of fsc fishing all together and let them sell or keep. A dead fish is a dead fish. I do find it interesting tho when they lobby to increase their fsc need on Fraser fish from 1 mill to 1.25 million if they have a desire to sell fish why lobby for more fsc.

There has already been over a million Fraser river sockeye harvested I think they could of found some opportunities for the Rec fishermen and commercial fishery.

it was follow the money. Who ultimately gets the money from sales by Costco or from Save On? Costco is a US company. most of what they sell here does not come from BC. The O/Os in the Alaskan Fishery are mostly not even Alaskan. Most of the boats are based in Seattle. Jimmy Pattison is a billionaire. The commercial salmon industry is near dead, it's on life support and we are all waiting for the plug to be pulled. Even the salmon farming industry will disappear. within a generation. The salmon we eat will be grown in vats in high tech factories. It is being done in labs already.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/august-20-best-of-quirks-quarks-feeding-the-future-1.6364707

The only real fish will be what we catch ourselves or buy from traditional societies like FNs.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 09:20:27 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #234 on: August 31, 2022, 09:37:41 AM »

We sit on the sidelines all the while a huge pile of sockeye lays rotting away in the bush and individuals go around selling their catch in the pubs.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #235 on: August 31, 2022, 09:43:09 AM »

We sit on the sidelines all the while a huge pile of sockeye lays rotting away in the bush and individuals go around selling their catch in the pubs.

I think rod said it was 20 fish but a few days on the net and it grows to a huge pile. ::)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #236 on: August 31, 2022, 09:46:43 AM »

It’s every where

Maple Ridge Central Neighbours
) Courtney Frostad • 2d • 0
Hello friends!! Is anyone interested in FR3SH!!
sockeye salmon!! My grandmother lives on
Katzie First Nation in Pitt Meadows & they
recently had an opening for set netting and
caught a whole lot of fishys. If anyone is
interested !!!
20$ per fish
15$ if you buy more than 10
30$ each if you want it or (them) fillet.
Great size & condition see pictures below for
an idea:) if interested please dm me thanks
again !!
- in Pitt Meadows, British Columbia

Dubs604

« Reply #237 on: August 31, 2022, 11:13:41 AM »

I don't recall exact price per lb but I get the frozen portions labelled as Alaskan Sockeye for about $30/bag and there are easily 7-8 portions with skin on. Each portion is about a 1/3 of a entire side fillet if that makes sense. I usually buy 2 bags and that gets my family through in terms of salmon consumption for 6-8 weeks as that's how often we go to Costco. Probably price per pound is significantly cheaper than what it would cost me to get the same amount of fish from the local rivers counting Gas, tackle, time spent, etc. I personally don't fish for the meat even though is a nice treat being able to bring fish home every now and then.

Checked out Costco on my morning travels.  The bags we were chatting about are around 1.36kg and sell for $47.  They have similar sized bags of "wild pink salmon" for $18.  "Product of China" on the back, which I found interesting.

tworivers

« Reply #238 on: August 31, 2022, 11:36:37 AM »

...and I'm sure the Costco sockeye was labelled "Product of Canada", caught in Alaska ;)

Kevgor

« Reply #239 on: August 31, 2022, 02:38:47 PM »

So that costco fish was frozen sockeye for $47 for 1.36 kg or $34.55 /kg

I saw fresh sockeye in the store yesterday for $69.97/kg the packaging says Copper River. But the www.copperriversalmon.org says the copper river sockeye season is May, June July. How can this fish be fresh here at the end of August? Wonder if its from where it says it is? I can upload the picture but not quite sure how.

My apologies if I am a little off-topic, but at these retail prices its not surprising to me that some groups are selling this on the side of the road or wherever, its makes for easy (big) money. The stuff is like a gold rush.
Kevgor -