Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bottom bouncing whats the big deal?  (Read 85516 times)

TNAngler

Re: bottom bouncing whats the big deal?
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2013, 12:01:53 PM »

BTW, doesn't a hook with yarn sink also ?? How does it stay "UP" in the water, you didn't mention how that happens. ::)

Dealing with this separate since you added it.

Apparently you aren't reading or just aren't following along very close.  I am using a spin-n-glo.  In case you haven't seen them before, THEY FLOAT.  The hook and yarn will drag them down some and the angle of the line from the current will some too.  Left alone, they will float.  And in fact there are other things around the spin-n-glo that also float.

Do I need to draw you a picture of how a spin-n-glo keeps a hook "UP"?  ::)

TNAngler

« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2013, 12:07:24 PM »

I believe that you are sincere, otherwise you won't spend to much time to defend yourself here. Perhaps just reveal the colour then with a picture of the yarn. Then people will try it out and no one will say you are a troll. Actually this is good for the fish because people will switch to this yarn and catch fish inside the mouth, and you will bury all the anti-bb people's pride and ego once and for all, and you can disprove their almost religious claim that sockeye doesn't bite on the Fraser. There will be less need to bounce aimlessly and catch fish at the wrong spot. Since you didn't invent the colour, and since it is available in the store, then what is the big deal to reveal it? Just compare this to the pink fishery, no body is trying to hide that anything in pink colour will catch pink and what is that big a deal to reveal this to the rest of the fishing world. It will only help the fish to have less foul hooking and it will prove to others that you are not trolling here. My humble 2 cents.

To some extent, I can see this point of view.  However, considering how many people I saw fishing who spent all day beating the water without catching anything or catching one or two (even when the runs are strong), if there was something that would give them a greater chance to catch fish, I'm not sure that would be a good thing.  Also, the color isn't something you find in fishing stores.  Actually I'm not sure it is even available in yarn anymore.  If people are nice on the river, we have shared our secrets and they have gone on to catch many fish as well.  However, do I think making it easier to catch a salmon a good thing for everybody?  Probably not.  There are enough people up there as it is.  If it was easier, there would be a lot more people and make it even harder on the fish.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2013, 12:22:07 PM »

Dealing with this separate since you added it.

Apparently you aren't reading or just aren't following along very close.  I am using a spin-n-glo.  In case you haven't seen them before, THEY FLOAT.  The hook and yarn will drag them down some and the angle of the line from the current will some too.  Left alone, they will float.  And in fact there are other things around the spin-n-glo that also float.

Do I need to draw you a picture of how a spin-n-glo keeps a hook "UP"?  ::)

Nope, no picture needed, must have missed that with all the talk about the secret color combo LOLLOL

Carry on with your fiction.

BTW, if you were supposedly catching so many sockeye why didn't you stop and change to something else ?? If your such an ethical fisherman why bother continuing to land sockeye after sockeye knowing that mortality still comes in the way of C&R to some extent ??
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:26:54 PM by Bently »

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2013, 12:27:38 PM »

I can't agree with this kind of mentality. I just revealed the secret of catching a steelhead in water people usually ignore, first the deepest part of a pool just below the fast rapid water with a drop off and this is where steelhead will line up ready for the ascend to the rapids and they are not available to the short floating guys except people who know how to do true bb fro them. Then the fast run on top of those popular pool/runs where steelhead will hide after being harassed the whole day by things throwing at them. They move up the fast runs where people generally ignore, and you can take them by top down presentation with a small spin & glow and a short leader with true bb. Do you know what a steelhead is as a sport fish compared to a sockeye and how much more numerous there are sockeyes than steelhead? If members come here to brag about something, then hold off to share anything for fear of other people catching more fish, I don't have sympathy for them if they are called troll or being bombarded by people calling them BS. Why even come here then and post? Do you know what Rodney has been doing here with diagrams and illustrations and special articles helping to explain to people how to catch fish more effectively? Is he a bad guy then or is he bad for the fish? I rest my case. I personally don't care a dime if you reveal this or not because after 20+ years on the river, I know how to catch fish, even to avoid a sockeye as is now. And I am more than happy to help others to catch a fish and any newbies who want a free instructor can contact me.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:31:13 PM by liketofish »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2013, 12:41:01 PM »

As many of us know the real secret to be a good flossers is the longer the leader you can cast the more success rate you will have, that is the key, plain and simple.Wool color, spin and glows, corkie or bare hook has nothing to do with it.

As I said before when I was part of the flossing crew at the start of this type of activity I was fishing a 2 to 3 foot leader and was doing very poorly. A fellow beside me was having lots of success. He said "lengthen out your leader to at least 8 feet or more." Presto, I became a good TOW er too.  :-[ :-[

TNAngler

« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2013, 12:46:57 PM »

Nope, no picture needed, must have missed that with all the talk about the secret color combo LOLLOL

Carry on with your fiction.

Still calling it fiction but unable or unwilling to point out where I am wrong with the evidence I have seen.  I understand.  You have just swallowed the zombie line and are unwilling to think differently.  It's hard to refute proof that doesn't fit inside your accepted reality.

This thread is a pretty good indication of one of the major problems with fisherman these days.  The runs are collapsing and instead of fighting the big problems that are causing massive amounts of destruction (the gov't, environmentalist, big business, and countless others) they spend their time fighting over the scraps, worried about three people that hooked and then quickly and gently released about 50 sockeye.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2013, 12:48:02 PM »

As many of us know the real secret to be a good flossers is the longer the leader you can cast the more success rate you will have, that is the key, plain and simple.Wool color, spin and glows, corkie or bare hook has nothing to do with it.

As I said before when I was part of the flossing crew at the start of this type of activity I was fishing a 2 to 3 foot leader and was doing very poorly. A fellow beside me was having lots of success. He said "lengthen out your leader to at least 8 feet or more." Presto, I became a good TOW er too.  :-[ :-[

But some people just can't wrap their head around it Chris, they still think their "one upping" the other anglers when in reality their just another floss artist, too funny really but I still blame you for all the "tow...ers"out there now a days though, LOLLOL.{jk} :P
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:50:53 PM by Bently »

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2013, 12:50:10 PM »

Still calling it fiction but unable or unwilling to point out where I am wrong with the evidence I have seen.  I understand.  You have just swallowed the zombie line and are unwilling to think differently.  It's hard to refute proof that doesn't fit inside your accepted reality.

Whatever you think pal, now answer the part you didn't quote...... Mr Ethical Fisherman  ::) ::)

TNAngler

« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2013, 12:50:41 PM »

Yes, to be a good flosser, you have to have a long leader.  Does having a long leader automatically make you a flosser?  According to most of the people here, yes.  I disagree.

To be a bar fisherman, you need to use a heavy weight, 4+ ounces depending on depth and water speed.  Does fishing with 4+ ounces make you a bar fisherman?

salmonlover

« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2013, 12:52:13 PM »

I realize a bunch of you are purists and think that only your way of fishing is correct and the right method

I don't like bottom bouncing because im a purist. I hate it because it produces scum bags who are just out to get meat. They don't care how they hook it, or release or even bothering identifying a species. For that alone is a very good reason to have disdain for this type of fishery. By all means you can fish any way you want, but as I said earlier the fish are not biting. How can you explain bare hooks inside a fish mouth? so now the fish have enough time to see a little hook coming at them with no clarity. meh It's very hard to believe someone thinks the fish is biting. what colour hair do you have? and can i style it any way?

TNAngler

« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2013, 12:54:13 PM »

BTW, if you were supposedly catching so many sockeye why didn't you stop and change to something else ?? If your such an ethical fisherman why bother continuing to land sockeye after sockeye knowing that mortality still comes in the way of C&R to some extent ??

You gotta stop adding questions after I am already answering the previous one.

About 10 sockeye a day between three people isn't that many.  It was an indication that there were fish there.  Keeping fishing as we were provided us the best chance at Chinook.  If you are going to complain about 10 fish a day, then why aren't you hounding all of the FN people drift netting when they were supposed to be closed?

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2013, 12:55:15 PM »

Does having a long leader automatically make you a flosser?  According to most of the people here, yes.  I disagree

There it is in a nutshell !!

TNAngler

« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2013, 12:58:57 PM »

I don't like bottom bouncing because im a purist. I hate it because it produces scum bags who are just out to get meat. They don't care how they hook it, or release or even bothering identifying a species. For that alone is a very good reason to have disdain for this type of fishery. By all means you can fish any way you want, but as I said earlier the fish are not biting. How can you explain bare hooks inside a fish mouth? so now the fish have enough time to see a little hook coming at them with no clarity. meh It's very hard to believe someone thinks the fish is biting. what colour hair do you have? and can i style it any way?

I hate that it produces scum bags too.  Although, to be fair, I have seen far more fish poached by bank fisherman (plunkers in the states) who drive down on the bar and sit there waiting for anything to take it.  They are within 20 feet of their truck usually and any fish they hook goes in the back of the truck and they head home, only to reappear 20 minutes to an hour later to fish some more.  Most of the fish are very illegal to keep but it doesn't matter.

If I was using a bare hook or even just some yarn, I could see your point.  With a decent sized spin-n-glo and other items at the hook, the fish should be able to see it in plenty of time.  However, I have seen a number of people fishing with bare hooks or just a little yarn and yes, they catch some in the mouth.  They also catch a bunch in the gut, on the back, outside the mouth around the head, a bunch of different places.  Thankfully, that is not what we are doing.

TNAngler

« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2013, 01:01:13 PM »

There it is in a nutshell !!

Wow, that is quite the revelation.  I agree that you have to have a long leader to be a flosser.  I disagree that having a long leader automatically means you are flossing.  You should attend some classes on logical proofs.  One item being true does not automatically mean the opposite is also true.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2013, 01:08:36 PM »

Wow, that is quite the revelation.  I agree that you have to have a long leader to be a flosser.  I disagree that having a long leader automatically means you are flossing.  You should attend some classes on logical proofs.  One item being true does not automatically mean the opposite is also true.

Using a bouncing betty and a long leader in the murky Fraser River is gonna floss fish, I don't give a rats arse what's on the hook end besides the hook. Lotta difference if your using a 3 foot leader with a 00 spin-n-glow that is basically in the same small zone all the time.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:10:43 PM by Bently »