Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Photos of Wild Steelhead and Ethics  (Read 14889 times)

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

• Hmmm yes, quite. Where are the fish again?
Re: Photos of Wild Steelhead and Ethics
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 10:34:09 PM »

:o nice fish u guys, loving the pictures. makes me want to pack all my stuff and move to the wack, still hoping to catch my first
 :-X 0-7 is depressing
Nothing to see here, Hmm yes.......
Quite........
Carry on......

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 11:50:04 PM »

Awesome shots indeed Milo. Yeup, I recognize one of them won the best steelie shot contest. Yours beat my shot with a slab just barely out of the water. I concede defeat whole-heartedly in face of your wonderful shots.  :D

Now we just have to figure out a way to immerse ourselves under water so we can associate the catch with the fishermen's face for memory's sake.  ;D  Any smart idea?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 11:52:01 PM by Steelhawk »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2009, 07:27:01 AM »

Awesome shots indeed Milo. Yeup, I recognize one of them won the best steelie shot contest. Yours beat my shot with a slab just barely out of the water. I concede defeat whole-heartedly in face of your wonderful shots.  :D

Now we just have to figure out a way to immerse ourselves under water so we can associate the catch with the fishermen's face for memory's sake.  ;D  Any smart idea?

snorkel

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2009, 10:03:16 AM »

Milo what kind of cam are you using?  Beautiful pics.  How do you get it to focus without seeing the shot, or is it a bit of a crapshoot?  I am getting a waterproof camera because of shots like this .....gorgeous.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2009, 10:22:51 PM »

Bit of a snake but nice pic I think.
Most of the pictures I see on this site of steel head are really really awesome!!
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2009, 10:43:55 PM »

Or you can just at lease get a peak at them if the will not bite.
Low clear water...

Just cant seem to post video from photo bucket to go with this comment.
help?
Its a cool  clip!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:15:13 PM by aquapaloosa »
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2009, 11:45:47 PM »

Thanks, Steelhawk.
Although I won, I have to confess that I liked your pic very much. I almost voted for it myself!

For winter steelhead, I really have no ideas, but my buddy and I have planned to make a few underwater hero shots holding the fish underwater in the summer. I don't mind a good dunk in the old Cheddar in the summer on a sunny day, but this time of year...no way, man! :o

Milo what kind of cam are you using?  Beautiful pics.  How do you get it to focus without seeing the shot, or is it a bit of a crapshoot?  I am getting a waterproof camera because of shots like this .....gorgeous.

Thanks, Marmot.
I use the Pentax Optio W series camera. Some of the pictures posted were made with the wpi, others with the W30 when I upgraded.
Although it is a bit of a crapshoot, what I always make sure to do is press the shutter button half way through and hold it for a second before pressing it down completely. This allows the camera to focus on whatever object it is pointed at. I try two or three different distances and I avoid using the flash. Also keep in mind that water magnifies everything, so you should add some distance between the lens and the fish compared to a regular pic. (around 30%)
When I am taking an underwater picture, if at all possible, I have someone hold the fish for me so I can take multiple shots. One or two out of ten eventually come out nicely.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:48:17 PM by milo »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 09:24:35 AM »

uh oh.....one out of ten of my ABOVE water shots turn out nicely...I'll be in trouble!

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 09:27:17 AM »

so am I gonna get ragged on if I post an above water shot of a wild fish? ;D I gotta get a new camera.

buck

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2009, 11:07:58 AM »

Taking a quick photo of a fish out of water does not pose any problem as long as it is done quickly and without the use of gloves, bait rags or any other material that will remove the slime layer  on the fish.
I have seen numerous anglers landing fish with gloves on, so as to get a better grip on the fish. This practice could jeopardize the survival of the fish in the long term. Fungus infections once started are very
difficult to control in both a hatchery situation and more so on fish in the wild, once they take hold.
On another note we have transported approximately 1990 steelhead back to the hatchery over a period of 27 years. These fish were landed, placed in transport tubs, placed in a transport tank, trucked 20-25 km , netted and placed in isolation boxes. Of the total number transported I can recall only one or two fish that I would say that died from hooking mortality. This is a reflection of how these fish have been handled by the brood stock anglers and their dedication to providing a healthy fish that has not been abused.
Total holding mortalities generally run about 4-5% ( 3-4 fish ) over a period of 4-5 months. To date no mortalities have been recorded for 2009. However they generally occur to wards the end of holding in April. The major cause of mortalities is stress and fungus problems due to weekly handling once they are close to maturity.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2009, 01:40:55 PM »

Taking a quick photo of a fish out of water does not pose any problem as long as it is done quickly and without the use of gloves, bait rags or any other material that will remove the slime layer  on the fish.
I have seen numerous anglers landing fish with gloves on, so as to get a better grip on the fish. This practice could jeopardize the survival of the fish in the long term. Fungus infections once started are very
difficult to control in both a hatchery situation and more so on fish in the wild, once they take hold.
On another note we have transported approximately 1990 steelhead back to the hatchery over a period of 27 years. These fish were landed, placed in transport tubs, placed in a transport tank, trucked 20-25 km , netted and placed in isolation boxes. Of the total number transported I can recall only one or two fish that I would say that died from hooking mortality. This is a reflection of how these fish have been handled by the brood stock anglers and their dedication to providing a healthy fish that has not been abused.
Total holding mortalities generally run about 4-5% ( 3-4 fish ) over a period of 4-5 months. To date no mortalities have been recorded for 2009. However they generally occur to wards the end of holding in April. The major cause of mortalities is stress and fungus problems due to weekly handling once they are close to maturity.

Great info! Do you work with/for the hatcheries? What do you mean by weekly handling?

Thanks,

rhino

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2009, 01:49:25 PM »

Scott

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2009, 02:21:45 PM »

Hey Coho Cody, is your profile picture taken at the bucket?

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2009, 07:12:08 PM »

Now that is a great looking steelie you got there, Coho Cody. It looks quite close to my photo contest fish in the angle of shot.

I seond Buck's idea that taking a quick shot above water with a fisherman is harmless and the fond memory with the fish will stays with you for life. Can't say that with some human faces we include in our pictures.  ;D

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2009, 07:24:31 PM »

Hey Coho Cody, is your profile picture taken at the bucket?

yup