Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mascaucre Hoes  (Read 24834 times)

EZ_Rolling

Re: Mascaucre Hoes
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 01:49:58 PM »

All that would need to be done to stop this is to open the dam every few days to wash away the weirs.....if anyone really cared enough

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 01:58:21 PM »

What is wrong here? Im not being sarcastic, I really dont know much about the rules or regs that FN need to follow, and I cant tell species from this video alone, so could someone explain what is happening, and what should or should not be happening here?
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 02:04:14 PM »

What is wrong here? Im not being sarcastic, I really dont know much about the rules or regs that FN need to follow, and I cant tell species from this video alone, so could someone explain what is happening, and what should or should not be happening here?

I think some people are upset that our tax dollars fund the hatchery on that river only to have a select group of people (who may or may not be contributing to said taxes in the same way) take a vast majority of the fish in a less sporting way.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 02:08:57 PM »

The Indians have created a rock weir in essence channneling the river into a large pool. They have put up steel gate (sometimes they use shopping carts) which allows water to flow through. The salmon swims up til they reach the gate. They can't get through and they turn around and swim back downstream into the pool where the Indians catch them with landing nets. They are catching cohos

1stlite

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 02:12:25 PM »

Seems true about DFO, government and local news have some sort of unwritten agreement about not doing much or airing this type of activity.
Pretty sure most of them don't have enough fridge space to keep these coho refrigerated (fresh). Would you buy a fish that's been sitting in the sun ALL day or a day old without refrigeration? I hope not. So what they don't sell or use for family use most likely get dumped. Then it's back to the weirs to do it all over again. Unfortunately this happens EVERY year.

mzmann

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 02:14:51 PM »

Also just to Echo what Rod already mentioned......you sure don't see them bothering to identify and release wilds/steelies and such.....not to mention the damage to the system that they are doing
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 02:32:25 PM »

the comments on youtube are going to get ugly quick

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 02:58:26 PM »

With no rain in the forecast for the foreseeable future, won't they pretty much wipe out the whole run this year?

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 03:06:26 PM »

The Indians have created a rock weir in essence channneling the river into a large pool. They have put up steel gate (sometimes they use shopping carts) which allows water to flow through. The salmon swims up til they reach the gate. They can't get through and they turn around and swim back downstream into the pool where the Indians catch them with landing nets. They are catching cohos

Well I did get that, but I understand I asked. I more so meant, what is going on here that is or isnt legal.

I can see how waste would be a concern, and incorrect IDing of species would be a piss off, but are these things happening? I dont mean to say "ITS ALL HEARSAY YOU HAVE NO PROOF" or anything like that. I just dont really know right. That doesnt seem like THAT much fish. If every other person there has a deep freeze, seems like there is more than enough room for them. Then again, I dont know how much they took. I would also believe that if people do this as a part of their livelyhood, maybe they can ID a fish much faster. Maybe there were no steelhead or wild stock in there? I cant tell. I am not saying there is or isnt, but does anyone else see them in the video? Again, I dont pretend to have knowledge, or experience, but I dont SEE anything wrong happening. Also, I dont like being influenced on hearsay, so I am trying to learn, not just play devils advocate.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Fisherama

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 03:21:05 PM »

Well I did get that, but I understand I asked. I more so meant, what is going on here that is or isnt legal.

I can see how waste would be a concern, and incorrect IDing of species would be a piss off, but are these things happening? I dont mean to say "ITS ALL HEARSAY YOU HAVE NO PROOF" or anything like that. I just dont really know right. That doesnt seem like THAT much fish. If every other person there has a deep freeze, seems like there is more than enough room for them. Then again, I dont know how much they took. I would also believe that if people do this as a part of their livelyhood, maybe they can ID a fish much faster. Maybe there were no steelhead or wild stock in there? I cant tell. I am not saying there is or isnt, but does anyone else see them in the video? Again, I dont pretend to have knowledge, or experience, but I dont SEE anything wrong happening. Also, I dont like being influenced on hearsay, so I am trying to learn, not just play devils advocate.

I see where you're coming from and feel much the same about the actually event.  Although I'm very disturbed about seeing that many fish killed without discrimination for wild fish and steelhead.  I'm assuming this based on the pace and enthusiasm at which the activity is occurring and that no fish were released throughout the course of the video.  I'd also like to learn more about what happens here and what the FN technically are and aren't allowed to do...  The video poster mentioned in the caption that this only happens once a year.  Although a friend who lives in the area says that the "weirs" have been setup for the last 2 months and are visited regularly.  Can anyone else offer any insight on this?  
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:42:04 PM by Fisherama »

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 03:41:48 PM »

Coho running up the Capilano river meet with the natives.
This happens only 1 day of the year so haters and jelous freaks just shut up and turn the video off!!

That's what is says on the youtube vid.   If that is the case then meh.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 04:17:06 PM »

They must planning on having a big ceremony !!!

Oh yeah and one day a year my A$$

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 04:34:05 PM »

That's what is says on the youtube vid.   If that is the case then meh.

This is not a year occurrence. It happens all summer as long as the cohos are running or until the fall rains wash away the weirs

rickjames_2

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 04:42:49 PM »

Anyway in particular, aside from a large amount of water, that could disrupt or destroy these weirs? Would it be illegal/possible for people to take it down by hand?
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

mzmann

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 04:48:24 PM »

Anyway in particular, aside from a large amount of water, that could disrupt or destroy these weirs? Would it be illegal/possible for people to take it down by hand?

Legal....unsure but probably not im thinking......possible...of course.....but watch for arrows flying at ya if they catch ya :P
Wishin I was fishin!! :)