Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crawfish  (Read 26251 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
Re: Crawfish
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2009, 08:17:49 AM »

Hey Novabonker, my uncle captains his own Lobster fishing boat out of Main-à-Dieu...good size crew, nice old boat he christened the "Bump 'n Grind." lots of crazy stuff comes out of some of those traps...he does Tuna and Crab out there as well...hoping to go back and do a couple weeks out on the boat this summer...

My Dad was a scallop fisherman out of Lunenburg - I used to hate watching him get home after 2 weeks at sea as he always brought in at least 40 pounds of scallops. And we knew many recipes to cook them. :P I still don't like them, but I will devour lobster with gusto!
http://

SmokeyRiver

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2009, 02:32:36 PM »

Reaction fly and tackle sells traps... they work wicked.... sumas canal is just loaded with crawfish.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2009, 02:47:33 PM »

Reaction fly and tackle sells traps... they work wicked.... sumas canal is just loaded with crawfish.

Dunno if I would eat them out of there.
Remeber that they are garbage eaters, pretty much eat anything they can find.
I only eat them out of lakes, clean running rivers or streams personally, that way less chance of them being loaded with toxins, etc.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2009, 05:39:22 PM »

Year ago I snagged one in Vedder under rail bridge. It was huge like a lobster and I let it go. It was snagged after all :D

Robert_G

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2009, 05:46:57 PM »

There were lots in the Hope Slough in Chilliwack....years ago. Not sure if they got fished out or what...

SmokeyRiver

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2009, 06:43:46 PM »

Ya I wouldn't eat em outta there Ive only ever used em for bait...

fishnjim

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2009, 07:49:40 PM »

so...for eating any in the lower mainland the general view is to only eat them if caught in a lake?  any feedback on the ones reported in the okanagan?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 08:58:20 PM »

You can eat them out of a clean flowing river too.
Just make sure no farm by products/sewage, etc flows into sloughs or lakes/streams you are eating them out of.

UFV_Poor_Fisher

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2009, 12:22:17 AM »

Ha...Thats great, i don't mind scallops but i don't go out of my way for them either....Lunenburg eh?? My father tells me that the "Tanner" half of my heritage landed there long time ago...dont know if any reside there now...

coho_killer

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2009, 07:06:48 PM »

Dunno if I would eat them out of there.
Remeber that they are garbage eaters, pretty much eat anything they can find.
I only eat them out of lakes, clean running rivers or streams personally, that way less chance of them being loaded with toxins, etc.

Do you know the difference in say a sumas river crayfish in compairison to a vedder river crayfish? So crayfish aregarbage feeders just like the carp you stated in anouther thread? Have you eaten a crayfish befor outta the sumas? Now your a fishing biolligist?
Wild fish don't do drugs!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2009, 11:59:48 PM »

CK...
I have eaten lots of thing before that I probably shouldn't have  ;D
I can tell you I have eaten fish out of stocked lakes that are nasty duck crap filled ponds - shouldnt have (they taste horrible).

Yes you can tell diff in taste between lake (freshwater crayfish) and slough and ditch crayfish. Just like you can with stocked fish in crap ponds.
Yes I have eaten crayfish out of the sloughs before (like hope slough) before (when I was younger) and got sick (AND it tasted pretty gross).
The sumas slough, IMO, looks a lot worse than the Hope slough.

I am sorry but I would not be eating crayfish out of a ditch where farm crap (and runnoff fromt he highway) flows into.
YES, they ARE garbage eaters. Go throw any type of organic material in front of them that stinks and they will be all over it.
At least in the Vedder, I can ASSUME ( yes I know what assume means) that they only eat dead fish and not septic.

To answer your question I guess, no I do not.
Based on WHAT I HAVE SEEN them eat, I wouldn't touch them in that ditch  :-\

coho_killer

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2009, 09:06:44 AM »

CK...
I have eaten lots of thing before that I probably shouldn't have  ;D
I can tell you I have eaten fish out of stocked lakes that are nasty duck crap filled ponds - shouldnt have (they taste horrible).

Yes you can tell diff in taste between lake (freshwater crayfish) and slough and ditch crayfish. Just like you can with stocked fish in crap ponds.
Yes I have eaten crayfish out of the sloughs before (like hope slough) before (when I was younger) and got sick (AND it tasted pretty gross).
The sumas slough, IMO, looks a lot worse than the Hope slough.

I am sorry but I would not be eating crayfish out of a ditch where farm crap (and runnoff fromt he highway) flows into.
YES, they ARE garbage eaters. Go throw any type of organic material in front of them that stinks and they will be all over it.
At least in the Vedder, I can ASSUME ( yes I know what assume means) that they only eat dead fish and not septic.

To answer your question I guess, no I do not.
Based on WHAT I HAVE SEEN them eat, I wouldn't touch them in that ditch  :-\

OK then wouldnt DFO put out a warning that ppl should not consume crayfish out of such areas as hope slough and sumas river if it makes them sick? Or was it you just can't stomach them? Crayfish are no different than crabs we eat here in the ocean, think of the garbage crabs eat on the bottom? Where do you think the farm runoff goes? To some special place to get cleaned and filtered? Your views on fishing and other things are making you look more and more like someone who hasn't a clue! Just remember just because you report on EVERY outing you have gone fishing and publish it to every fishing site ther is to post on, does not make you a good fisherman! Think about what you say or type befor you brodcast it for the world to see! Remember the fishing rod does not make the fisherman nor does sounding foolish either!

CK
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 09:08:56 AM by coho_killer »
Wild fish don't do drugs!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2009, 09:40:14 AM »

First of all I hardley post every outing, maybe 1 every 3 (and only to 2 sites).... My name is Every Day for a reason  ;D
All personal views I guess, some people would share mine, some yours.
I think of it this way : Ocean is a million times bigger than that ditch, so even though runoff goes into the ocean, I highly doubt it would be as concentrated.
You could argue that the ocean has tonnes of runoff from tonnes of rivers, I still think it wouldn't be as bad since the ocean is 72% of the world's surface and rivers are something like 2%.
Also since the ocean is 9000 feet deep most places, how much is a river, 100 at most?
Truthfully, I could care less what people think. It's all personal ethics and personal choices, I'm picky with what I eat. Some Obviously are not.
Secondly, I really don't catch that many fish, I am FAR from being a good rod. I prefer to just go out and fish, when I get success SOME people enjoy the read.
I know I enjoy the read when I get home from other people's trips and I wish Chris would post more (hint hint).  ;)
I guess because I dont like carp and crayfish out of nasty sloughs I have no idea what Im talking about, maybe I should just quit  ::)

yamadirt 426

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2009, 09:29:58 PM »

ED & CK You two sparring back and forth on the two threads is kinda lame  :-[ . Keep it positive guys  ;D

kodak

• RiftZoneAquatics
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2009, 02:55:25 PM »

Deer lake in bby has tonnes in april- june, roll the rocks and scoop with a couple butterfly nets (long handles)