Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crawfish  (Read 26563 times)

sreeb

Re: Crawfish
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2009, 08:14:55 AM »

UFV POOR FISHER. I played hockey with a tanner from lunenburg. New the family for years while I still lived in Nova Scotia.

Admin

• FWR Admin
  • Administrator
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2009, 01:59:09 PM »

Yeah but deer lake is contaminated so according to ED the crayfish just might you sick if you eat them  ::)

Please don't pick on other members simply because you do not agree with their opinion, if you enjoy your stay on this forum.

ED, next time hit the "report to moderators" link and we'd take care of it right away. Thanks.

Roughingminor

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »

Thanks for your informative, accurate, and interesting input Every Day.  Your posts are consistently well-written, rational, and contribute significantly to my understanding of many different fishing-related topics in the lower Mainland.  You are a very strong member of this and other fishing forums, and I look forward to reading your posts in the future. 

Schenley

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2009, 08:39:09 PM »

Well-- I really dont like to rain on anyones parade but I have to call BS on Ever Days monster 16" crayfish he posted on page one.    Have a look at this website  http://www.issg.org/database/species/ecology.asp?si=725&fr=1&sts=sss    Please notice the SIZE of the larger males... 16 cm or 6.2 inches. Give or take a couple of extra inches for those growing on the Valley sewage, its still a LONG way from what science records.

And yes-- I have collected my few allowed by MOE for many years. The biggest I have ever seen was no more than 7".    Maybe a case of "fishermans measurement"  ??  ::)

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2009, 09:32:57 PM »

Well-- I really dont like to rain on anyones parade but I have to call BS on Ever Days monster 16" crayfish he posted on page one.    Have a look at this website  http://www.issg.org/database/species/ecology.asp?si=725&fr=1&sts=sss    Please notice the SIZE of the larger males... 16 cm or 6.2 inches. Give or take a couple of extra inches for those growing on the Valley sewage, its still a LONG way from what science records.

And yes-- I have collected my few allowed by MOE for many years. The biggest I have ever seen was no more than 7".    Maybe a case of "fishermans measurement"  ??  ::)

Are you kidding me  ???
This summer when I dive on the Vedder I will post some pics of crayfish by a measuring tape that are well over 8 inches.
Another reason not to use traps  ;D

I also don't keep anything less than 6 inches because they are a waiste of time  ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:35:03 PM by Every Day »

Roughingminor

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2009, 09:35:26 PM »

Perhaps that was a tip of the tail to a tip of the claws measurement.  The official record is probably just the length of the carapace.  Keep in mind also that there are hundreds of species of crayfish in the world, so we might not all be talking about the same thing.  For example, this thread is called "crawfish."  The species referred to as "crawfish" or "crawdads" in the Southern and Eastern states are not even the same animal that we find around here.

UFV_Poor_Fisher

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2009, 12:35:43 AM »

UFV POOR FISHER. I played hockey with a tanner from lunenburg. New the family for years while I still lived in Nova Scotia.

Any idea of the first name?? all of my relatives are in either N.B. or N.S. so i would have to ask my uncles if they knew em...nice to know there are some good ol' easterners on here...i guess it makes sense that we would congregate here eh...lol...

sreeb

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2009, 05:33:38 PM »

The son I played hockey with was logan tanner but I can't remember his parents names.

Nick78

• overtackled & underfished
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2009, 12:46:08 AM »

So i did it... I set two traps into como lake for the last two nights. Checked it today but nothing! Bait was the rest of some trouts like head, fins and guts (uncooked of course) Is it still to early in the season? Temperature should be alright with about 15*C as they start to feed as soon as it gets over 10*C. It must hold crayfish 'cause I caught one last year in Juli while fishing for trout. And normaly where you find one there are many more... ???

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2009, 09:44:29 PM »

Any idea of the first name?? all of my relatives are in either N.B. or N.S. so i would have to ask my uncles if they knew em...nice to know there are some good ol' easterners on here...i guess it makes sense that we would congregate here eh...lol...

I went to school with a Tanner and my Dad fished with one or two. Now if I can get that brain cell working on the first names...... ??? ??? ???
http://