Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: National Boycott Of Open Pen Feedlot Salmon Rally in Chilliwack  (Read 49160 times)

dnibbles

Re: National Boycott Of Open Pen Feedlot Salmon Rally in Chilliwack
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2013, 09:45:11 AM »

Chilliwack River = toxic toilet????

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2013, 01:56:54 PM »

Chilliwack River = toxic toilet????
Nibs, I know you get my point but just in case my post is misconstrued by others, formalin is widely used in fish culture facilities, worldwide.  Used properly it is considered safe and effective. 
Staniford is just blowing smoke, again, claiming these treatments are creating “toxic toilets”

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2013, 02:27:21 PM »

What a crock of .... Virtually every salmonid hatchery on the west coast uses formalin for treatments to combat fungus, including  the adult steelhead now being held for broodstock at the Chilliwack River Hatchery.  The small Cultus Lake sockeye hatchery program alone uses 45 gallons of 37% (full strength) of the stuff every fall.
Where do you think this formalin ends up?

Actually a lot of people think like this.....

Last fall I approached a fisherman who had finished his Tim Horton's coffee and tossed the cup on the bank. I approached him and asked if he was going to pick it up and his response was that it was a paper cup and he said over time it would deteriorate and disappear. I didn't give him a hard time, but I asked him if he participates in the Vedder cleanups and he said he doesn't. When I walked away I did notice that he picked it up. The reason the Vedder needs to be cleaned up is because of the many individuals dropping single paper cups, a bit of trash, an old mattress, etc.

People don't realize that every bit of crap we put in the water adds up and while we may not notice any effects, our kids, and their kids will notice the effects. Just like I'm not willing to dismiss someone dropping a Tim Horton's cup on the river bank, I'm not willing to accept that it's ok to dump 45 gallons of lethal chemical in the river, or for that matters the thousands of gallons of the various chemicals that are being dumped in the ocean.

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2013, 06:09:50 PM »

Well  af, you know the adage ... dilution is the solution to pollution.  The City of Victoria has agreed with this idealogy for years.
If you're thinking about alternatives to using this stuff in fish cultural facilities, do some on line research ... UV light, ozonation,  salt ... all with their  problems, issues and, as always, $$$.  The good news is there are FWR posters here who are well qualified to talk to this issue.

dnibbles

« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2013, 07:45:46 PM »

Nibs, I know you get my point but just in case my post is misconstrued by others, formalin is widely used in fish culture facilities, worldwide.  Used properly it is considered safe and effective. 
Staniford is just blowing smoke, again, claiming these treatments are creating “toxic toilets”

Sorry Dave, I did get your point, but you're right that I may have not been clear on what I was getting at.

Use of formalin according to guidelines in enhancement facilities, as well as other types of biological sample collection is considered safe and in the case of hatcheries will result in healthier, more robust fish. I would think even af would not argue that taking all measures to ensure fish released to the wild are healthy and disease free is a desirable approach????

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2013, 08:48:43 PM »

Sorry Dave, I did get your point, but you're right that I may have not been clear on what I was getting at.

Use of formalin according to guidelines in enhancement facilities, as well as other types of biological sample collection is considered safe and in the case of hatcheries will result in healthier, more robust fish. I would think even af would not argue that taking all measures to ensure fish released to the wild are healthy and disease free is a desirable approach????

Too bad you are ignoring the cumulative effect of these types of chemicals....  Even in Dave's example of Victoria's lack of sewage treatment, the debate is not about the effects, it's about the cost.

The point that you boys won't acknowledge is that the reason this chemical is being used is because it's cheap. The same reasons are why feedlots put their pens in the ocean.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2013, 08:57:09 PM »

The same reasons are why feedlots put their pens in the ocean.

By your standards AF growing salmon in ocean net pens make a better product.  Far less use of antibiotics and superior product that is less stresses and grown in a natural environment.  ITs painful to watch you be a pro closed containment guy here knowing what standards you support for food production, just painful.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2013, 09:19:36 PM »

By your standards AF growing salmon in ocean net pens make a better product.  Far less use of antibiotics and superior product that is less stresses and grown in a natural environment.  ITs painful to watch you be a pro closed containment guy here knowing what standards you support for food production, just painful.

I have no idea how you got anything close to that from what I wrote.

I could care less where they put the pens as long as they get them out of the ocean. In either case I wouldn't eat the product.

dnibbles

« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2013, 09:27:28 PM »

I have no idea how you got anything close to that from what I wrote.

I could care less where they put the pens as long as they get them out of the ocean. In either case I wouldn't eat the product.

Hatcheries are not open net pens. They use closed containment technology, which you apparently support. Use of closed containment technology requires treatments to prevent fungal and disease outbreaks. It also requires effluent discharge.

You're really all over the map on this thread. Painful, but entertaining.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2013, 09:46:42 PM »

Hatcheries are not open net pens. They use closed containment technology, which you apparently support. Use of closed containment technology requires treatments to prevent fungal and disease outbreaks. It also requires effluent discharge.

I appreciate that you are entertained, however if you read what I post, your comments may be more relevant.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2013, 10:40:22 PM »

Very entertaining.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2013, 10:44:21 AM »

Why should we boycott Feedlot salmon sold in grocery stores?

http://www.salmonfeedlotboycott.com/why-boycott/

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2013, 12:19:56 PM »

I have been following the participation on the petition above.  The numbers haven't really budged for a few weeks.  So I did some calculations add figured that for every 10000 people in BC, 7 have signed that petition.  Then I realized it was a canada wide petition.  Is it a north American wide petition?  Looks like I really blew the stats on that one.  Needless to say I am feeling the job security. ;D 
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Dave

• Old Timer