Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: National Boycott Of Open Pen Feedlot Salmon Rally in Chilliwack  (Read 48834 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
National Boycott Of Open Pen Feedlot Salmon Rally in Chilliwack
« on: January 07, 2013, 09:01:44 AM »

National Boycott Of Open Pen Feedlot Salmon Rally in Chilliwack at the Great Canadian Superstore, Wednesday, January 9th, 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM

Calling all Wild Salmon Warriors to come out and take a stand for Wild Salmon! Encourage people to use the power of choice for healthier living and for a better environment! See you there!

This is the beginning of the National Boycott activities in Chilliwack! Bring your drums, rattle, signs and cameras! It will be educational, fun and empowering!

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: National Boycott Of Open Pen Feedlot Salmon Rally in Chilliwack
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »

Sounds like the perfect time to buy some farmed salmon!
Remember, Salmo are Sacred :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 03:27:37 PM »

Sounds like the perfect time to buy some farmed salmon!
Remember, Salmo are Sacred :D
Come along I will get a picture and video of you picking up a buggy full. ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 05:46:23 PM »

Come along I will get a picture and video of you picking up a buggy full. ;D ;D
I might ;)  Can you get me Staniford's condom suit??

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 06:48:21 PM »

I might ;)  Can you get me Staniford's condom suit??
Just come as you are. ;D

JPW

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 06:49:30 PM »

What happens when these boycotts and protest are successful and the salmon farms are shut down?  The demand for fresh salmon is growing and in light of the recent post about the high cost sale of bluefin, which is being fished to extinction, could wild salmon face the same fate?  It seems like plan A is to commercially overfish dwindling stocks, plan B is to farm what we need and potentially damage our oceans, what is plan C?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 06:54:42 PM »

What happens when these boycotts and protest are successful and the salmon farms are shut down?  The demand for fresh salmon is growing and in light of the recent post about the high cost sale of bluefin, which is being fished to extinction, could wild salmon face the same fate?  It seems like plan A is to commercially overfish dwindling stocks, plan B is to farm what we need and potentially damage our oceans, what is plan C?
Put them on land where they belong. Read the thread "Silenced" I just posted, does that not cause you some concern where we are headed?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 07:06:35 PM »

Good post!  but we all know there is no plan C

JPW

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 07:42:34 PM »

Put them on land where they belong. Read the thread "Silenced" I just posted, does that not cause you some concern where we are headed?

I just finished reading Morton's blog post and as expected it does a great job of sensationalizing the concerns around salmon farming, in that sense I suspect it will be successful in keeping her supporters motivated.  What I'd love to see from her is the same fervour and passion devoted to a solution.  I don't think it's enough anymore to just identify the problem.  I apologize if I'm speaking unfairly, but it seems like most of the anti-salmon farm posts are just that; anti-salmon farm.  What about devoting some more time to posts about how to make land based farms profitable?  Lets face it, people want to eat salmon and companies want to make the most money possible.  Maybe presenting an economically viable solution instead of just re-hashing a highly contentious "problem" would garner more support?

Good post!  but we all know there is no plan C

It sounds like for Chris the plan C is land based farms?  While I still don't support ocean based operations I was once given the advice that it is far more powerful to present a solution to a problem you've identified than to simply point it out and expect a change.  Even if land-based operations were less profitable, I suspect more of the general public would support a boycott of a product if the same product could still be produced profitably in another way. 

It seems there are options:

Land-based salmon farms make economic sense, report finds
Salmon farming comes ashore in land-based aquaculture
Raising a fish out of water
ASF promoting land-based salmon farming

Perhaps anti-salmon farm advocates should give some thought to presenting the pros and cons to land based options?  I'd love to see an unbiased cost analysis of ocean vs land as well as an analysis of the environmental impacts of each on the known measurable like energy consumption and waste production.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 08:14:03 PM »

it seems like most of the anti-salmon farm posts are just that; anti-salmon farm.

Thats right and if you follow the funding sources for these campaigns you will see that the source isn't interested either.  If closed containment became the global supplier of food salmon then the Alaskan salmon fishery would be fighting it as well, some how, some way. 
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 08:16:14 PM »

Salmon feedlots are a business and as such are responsible for finding their own solutions on how to run their business responsibly. I don't see how Morton should be responsible for helping them grow an environmentally responsible business. And even if she came up with alternative ways of operating that business, do you really think they would adopt them?

As much as people think Morton is sensationalizing, that's the way change happens. In this case the more folks are aware of the damage these feedlots are doing to our oceans, the less salmon will be purchased. The feedlots will either shut down or change their practices.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 08:23:17 PM »

It seems the present Federal government is losing their mandate of looking after our environment on many fronts especially with the 2 recent omnibus bills.

The fish farms issue is just one of many concerns that many of us are aware of, what are the answers? I certainly donot know what it will take to change things for the better. It always seems money always takes precedents over looking after environmental issues. I guess it is a sign of the times.

I do know one thing for sure, if we did not have many people, like Alex things would be a lot worse.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 08:37:50 PM »

I do know one thing for sure, if we did not have many people, like Alex things would be a lot worse.
Totally agree on that Chris but think what she could do with changing peoples opinion on really important issues impacting wild salmon ....  she has a certain impact but it's sadly misdirected.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 08:39:39 PM »

I just finished reading Morton's blog post and as expected it does a great job of sensationalizing the concerns around salmon farming, in that sense I suspect it will be successful in keeping her supporters motivated.  What I'd love to see from her is the same fervour and passion devoted to a solution.  I don't think it's enough anymore to just identify the problem.  I apologize if I'm speaking unfairly, but it seems like most of the anti-salmon farm posts are just that; anti-salmon farm.  What about devoting some more time to posts about how to make land based farms profitable?  Lets face it, people want to eat salmon and companies want to make the most money possible.  Maybe presenting an economically viable solution instead of just re-hashing a highly contentious "problem" would garner more support?

It sounds like for Chris the plan C is land based farms?  While I still don't support ocean based operations I was once given the advice that it is far more powerful to present a solution to a problem you've identified than to simply point it out and expect a change.  Even if land-based operations were less profitable, I suspect more of the general public would support a boycott of a product if the same product could still be produced profitably in another way. 

It seems there are options:

Land-based salmon farms make economic sense, report finds
Salmon farming comes ashore in land-based aquaculture
Raising a fish out of water
ASF promoting land-based salmon farming

Perhaps anti-salmon farm advocates should give some thought to presenting the pros and cons to land based options?  I'd love to see an unbiased cost analysis of ocean vs land as well as an analysis of the environmental impacts of each on the known measurable like energy consumption and waste production.

Don't you thing the government should be promoting this and finding a solution?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 08:41:55 PM »

Totally agree on that Chris but think what she could do with changing peoples opinion on really important issues impacting wild salmon ....  she has a certain impact but it's sadly misdirected.
Once again the Fed's are not helping, especially by gutting FOC.