Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pike Minnow Derby At Cultus Lake  (Read 25227 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Pike Minnow Derby At Cultus Lake
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2009, 09:38:49 AM »

Hundreds flock to fishing derby at Cultus

People cram onto a dock at Main Beach in Cultus Lake for the annual Greg Clark Memorial Family Fishing Derby on Saturday.
JENNA HAUCK/ PROGRESS

Published: June 23, 2009 11:00 AM

1 Comment A total of 794 people signed up to take part in the Greg Clark Memorial Family Fishing Derby at Cultus Lake on Saturday.

Although none of the 25 tagged pikeminnow were caught, a total of 473 non-tagged ones were caught.

A special draw for all those who caught a fish was held and five people had their names drawn each winning $100.

Derby Results:

Junior girls (under 16) largest pikeminnow:

1) Tessa MacKay .74 kg. Won a Norco mountain bike with a $50 Gift Certificate

2) Desiree MacKay .43 kg

3) Maya MacKay .42 kg

Junior Boys largest pikeminnow:

1) Ethan Lazar .54 kg. Won a Norco mountain bike and a $50 gift certificate

2) Jarrod Beyer .46 kg

3) Dawson Jarvis .46 kg

Most pikeminnow caught by a junior boy: Matthew Fisher with 26

Most pikeminnow caught by a junior girl: Kelly Holdsworth with 34

Hidden weight by a junior boy: Jami Weathergill

Hidden weight by a junior girl: Teagan Jones

Adult division largest pikeminnow:

1) Scott Manwieller 1.36 kg. Won an 8-ft. Streamer XL Pontoon Boat valued at $800

2)Sevana Bury .82 kg

3)Mark Nuyens .66 kg

Most pikeminnow caught by an adult: Troy Huggins with 29. Won a PVR machine.

Hidden weight by an adult: Rob Beckers

one comment made.

Many thanks to the gentleman and his family that saw my wife and I in distress and gave us a tow to shore when my outboard went kaput. It was getting late in the evening and the water was getting rough, and the wind wasn't helping our arduos paddling expedition across Cultus. A pox on those that mocked my wife and I as we attempted to hitch-hike back to the boat launch to retrieve our vehicle after being denied a helpful ride from the parks employees due to liability reasons. It's understandable to not pick up hitchers in this day and age, but was it really necessary to honk and wave with that condescending smile on your face? It would behoove you to know that I was so incensed by your behavior that I checked the area for your vehicles once I had my truck back. Unfortunately you had slithered back under the rock from whence you came. A word to the wise; Sometimes your behavior comes back to haunt you.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2009, 09:41:17 AM »

Derby lures families to cast away in Cultus
The Times
Published: Tuesday, June 23, 2009
The number of fish caught was down from last year, but the second annual Greg Clark Memorial Family Fishing Derby went off without a hitch and was a great success, according to organizers.

"We can safely assume that well over 1,000 people took in the event and are very pleased with those numbers as we try to educate our community about Cultus and its fish," said Frank Kwak from the Fraser Valley Salmon Society.

A total of 420 adults and 374 children bought tickets and between them caught 473 pikeminnows. Last year 700 were caught.

View Larger Image
The docks in front of Main Beach were lined with fishers of all ages on Saturday.
Paul J. Henderson/TIMES

Organizers also tagged 25 pikeminnows, but none of them were caught. They held a special draw for all those who caught a fish and five lucky people had their names drawn, each winning $100.

While the docks at Main Beach were lined with eager kids and adults dropping lines, a number of people got out on the water as five local guides--Len's Sportfishing Adventures, BlueWater Rockies Sportfish Guide Co., Swiftwater Guiding, Reaction Fly & Tackle, and Great River Fishing Adventures--took some lucky kids out in boats.

"We were also happy to talk with several beach owners who stopped by to thank us for the great event as well as two Cultus Lake Park Board councillors, which was an encouragement to us," Kwak said.

In addition to the fishing, a number of groups had display booths of interest to the community. At least 200 other people came by for the barbecue or just to enjoy onshore activities such as beach games, face and fish painting, and the display booths.

GREG CLARK MEMORIAL DERBY RESULTS:

Junior (under 16)

Greg Clark Memorial Trophy

Largest pikeminnow by a junior

Tessa MacKay .74 kg. Won a Norco Mountain bike with a $50 gift certificate

Second place junior girl - Desiree MacKay .43 kg

Third place junior girl - Maya MacKay .42 kg

Junior Boys largest pikeminnow

First place - Ethan Lazar .54 kg. Won a Norco Mountain bike with a $50 gift certificate

Second - Jarrod Beyer .46 kg

Third - Dawson Jarvis .46 kg

Most pikeminnows caught by a junior boy

Matthew Fisher 26

Most pikeminnows caught by a junior girl

Kelly Holdsworth 34

Hidden weight by a junior boy

Jami Weathergill

Hidden weight by a junior girl

Teagan Jones

Adult Division

Largest pike minnow

Scott Manwieller 1.36 kg. Won an eight-foot Streamer XL Pontoon Boat $800 value

Second - Sevana Bury .82 kg

Third - Mark Nuyens .66 kg

Most pike minnows

Troy Huggins 29. Won a PVR machine

Hidden weight

Rob Beckers

Birdsnest

• I'm a llama!
Pike Minnows...why the increase now?
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2009, 10:49:17 AM »

First of all, congrats to all the organizers and participants at the pike derby.  Great event, great cause.

In looking at the numbers estimated in cultus lake, it begs a question.. why the sudden population explosion now of Pike Minnows?  What changes, environmental, predators, water quality, etc, are responsible for the boom in the pike minnow population?

I always remembered catching the odd few fishing local waters, but not to the extent that I've seen now.

I was teaching a youngster how to fly fish on the brunette ,... laid out a nice drift with a big fluffy dry fly that got a classic trout take, only to find it was an ugly pike minnow..   

So they are occupying trout holding water, lakes,  rivers...etc...

What has changed?  The trout/salmonids could out compete them for thousands of years, why the shift now?

I know the Salmonid population has declined, but that doesn't mean that the pike minnow is suddenly a better predator, and I assume their prodigious reproduction capabilities has always been the same..

So. why now?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2009, 05:51:03 PM »

One possible reason for the increased Pikeminnow population in Cultus Lake (at least until recently - the yearly seining efforts/derbies have removed thousands) is Eurasian Water Milfoil.  Studies have shown juvenile pikeminnow have found both a refuge from predators and more available food, thus increasing survival rates, in the forests of Cultus Lake milfoill.  Also, pikeminnow seem to be more adaptable to increasing water temperature/ water quality issues - salmonids, not so much.
The Cultus Lake Aquatic Stewardship Strategy (CLASS) applied for, and was denied, funding for DFO to study the interractions of fish communities and milfoil in Cultus Lake.  They hope to submit another funding application soon to answer the questions Birdnest asks.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2009, 06:53:13 PM »

One possible reason for the increased Pikeminnow population in Cultus Lake (at least until recently - the yearly seining efforts/derbies have removed thousands) is Eurasian Water Milfoil.  Studies have shown juvenile pikeminnow have found both a refuge from predators and more available food, thus increasing survival rates, in the forests of Cultus Lake milfoill.  Also, pikeminnow seem to be more adaptable to increasing water temperature/ water quality issues - salmonids, not so much.
The Cultus Lake Aquatic Stewardship Strategy (CLASS) applied for, and was denied, funding for DFO to study the interractions of fish communities and milfoil in Cultus Lake.  They hope to submit another funding application soon to answer the questions Birdnest asks.
Thanks Dave. Maybe the milfoil makes it hard to get a bait to them as they are in and around the milfoil. Is there anyway to curtail its growth?  I know a few years ago they tried harvesting but I thought it just cut up the plants and there was lots of loose pieces floating around to take root. ???
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 03:51:26 AM by chris gadsden »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2009, 08:48:40 PM »

Chris, as yet there is not an environmentally acceptable means to eliminate Eurasian water milfoil in a lake like Cultus which has two endangered fish species - Cultus Lake sockeye and Pygmy Sculpin.  Chilliwack High School students working at the DFO lab at Cultus have studied and documented the regenerative capabilities of this plant  ....   bottom line - leave it alone when it's growing (now) as cuttings or fragments root quickly.
Unfortunately, it's here to stay. 
Because there are so few Cultus sockeye returning now, milfoil on their spawning areas is not really a problem.  I believe you will see an increased government involvement in milfoil/fish relationships only if Cultus stocks rebound.
As it is now, there is no government agency willing to take the lead in controlling this invasive plant.

Birdsnest

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2009, 09:35:38 PM »

I hope it's not milfoil that's the cause of the pike minnow explosion, because that would mean things aren't gonna get much better.   It make sense as far as raising water temps...etc...

But that doesn't totally explain why I would find them in rivers and streams were milfoil isn't obviously present.

I tried to learn to appreciate the lowly pike minnow, I really did.. I mean, it took a dry fly, even did a few jumps...

But.... when you pick one up and, it starts to do that ..croaking, gasping wheezing thing... and it sorta goes all gooey in your hands..

blechhhhhhh

The fish feels like an invertebrate.... it's spineless I tell you.. spinless!~!!