Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pike Minnow Derby At Cultus Lake  (Read 25327 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Pike Minnow Derby At Cultus Lake
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2009, 08:07:33 PM »

Only a few more days till Pike Minnow derby. I think I'm going. Judging by those pics of the tagged fish I think I know where the beer money is. :) I'm using worms that have been fed weiner and weiner thats been soaked in worm juice.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2009, 10:54:22 AM »

Hey Chris, mind bringing up the boat?
I'll also come and help set up in the morning... Just give me a time and I will be there.
Hopefully this year is as good as the last  ;D

rides bike to work

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2009, 09:26:57 PM »

So what is the trick to pulling in big numbers at this derby last year I only caught a few small ones all day but there where guys weighing in hundreds of fish I would to better do my part to clean this lake out to make way for the sockey any tips?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2009, 09:42:02 PM »

Fish right off the bottom. If you don't get any bites after 5 minutes move on. Creek mouths can be good spots. A boat/anchor helps. Use bait. Try to stay sober.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2009, 12:43:11 AM »

So what is the trick to pulling in big numbers at this derby last year I only caught a few small ones all day but there where guys weighing in hundreds of fish I would to better do my part to clean this lake out to make way for the sockey any tips?

Ask Short floater..... hes the guy who pulled out all the fish last year.
The Bigger The Better!

rides bike to work

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2009, 08:02:55 PM »

ohhh sober is the trick well I may as well call it in right now.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2009, 10:42:17 PM »

Posted by: Every Day 

Hey Chris, mind bringing up the boat?

PM sent.

Chilliwack Progress
Derby has distinct conservation angle

People can watch for pikeminnow with these these bright orange tags around the dorsal fin while taking part in the Greg Clark Memorial Family Fishing Derby on June 20 at Main Beach.
JENNA HAUCK/ PROGRESS

Text   By Jennifer Feinberg - Chilliwack Progress

Published: June 16, 2009 8:00 AM
Updated: June 16, 2009 8:36 AM

0 Comments They really sweetened the pot for the pikeminnow derby this Saturday.

For the first time, the event held at Cultus Lake during B.C.’s Family Fishing Weekend, also features a chance to win $2,500 in cash.

Event organizers tagged 25 fish of varying sizes with fluorescent-orange spaghetti tags last Thursday to prepare for the derby on June 20 at Main Beach.

The tags are worth $100 each to anyone who brings up a tagged pikeminnow.

“This year we’ve made the cash prizes available for the first time, in order to encourage more participation by adults,” said co-organizer Frank Kwak.

But just pre-buying a ticket in advance gives everyone a chance to win prizes, as well.

The fishing extravaganza sponsored by the Fraser Valley Salmon Society is formally called The Greg Clark Memorial Family Fishing Derby, to commemorate the late Greg Clark, who was an avid angler.

“There’s no charge for fishing this weekend, and you won’t need a fishing licence,” said Kwak. “People can bring the kids, and a rod. They don’t have to have a tackle box if they fish off the peer.

“It’s just an excellent way to promote the sport of fishing, and encourage people who have never fished to give it a try.”

They don’t need a licence this weekend courtesy of the province, but all other applicable rules and regulations to do with fishing in fresh-water are in effect.

One of the attractions will be the fishing guides who’ll be taking groups of people out on the lake in their boats for free, added Kwak. It will be on a first come, first served basis, but they’ll take six to eight people out at a time.

“We’re really trying to make it a family event, and we’ve tried to keep the cost of everything down low,” he said.

The event has always been geared to raising the profile of angling, but it also has a conservation angle, since the voracious pikeminnow is thought to be preying on the endangered Cultus Lake sockeye.

“The Cultus Sockeye Recovery Team that met a few years ago, came to the conclusion that there were a number of things we could do to help the sockeye. “One of those things was to try to take down the number of predators in the lake,” Kwak said.

The pikeminnow seem to be reproducing faster than ever, with an estimated 60,000 fish in the lake.

Derby tickets are $5/$2 (15 and under) at the Rosedale Mini-Mart, Chilliwack Dart and Tackle and Fred’s Custom Tackle.

Pre-buy tickets by Friday, June 19, and the names will go into a draw for prizes. The derby starts at daybreak, with the weigh-in at 2 p.m. sharp. Prizes handed out at 2:30 p.m. sharp, with the Memorial Trophy going to the largest junior fish (pikeminnow only), along with prizes in both adult and junior categories.

jfeinberg@theprogress.com

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2009, 10:49:35 PM »

A chance to win 2500$? what does it take to win that? That will definately work at getting a few more bodys out.
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2009, 09:31:30 AM »

As article above says, $100 for each Pm caught.

Hear is another article:

Family fishing helps Cultus fish
Cornelia Naylor, The Times
Published: Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Go fish! is the motto of B.C.'s Family Fishing Weekend, a three-day event that entices about 25,000 people to try their hand at fishing every Father's Day weekend.

This Friday, Saturday and Sunday, anglers and would-be anglers can fish within the rules anywhere in B.C. for free with a complimentary three-day, basic freshwater licence.

The provincial government started the event 10 years ago to boost slumping interest in recreational fishing, an industry that generates nearly $1.2 billion annually for B.C.'s economy.

At Cultus Lake, the highlight of the weekend is the Fraser Valley Salmon Society's annual Pikeminnow Derby on Saturday, June 20.

The Derby, starting at sunrise off the Main Beach pier, serves two purposes. It gives youngsters and their families a chance to try their hand at the sport, and it takes a chunk out of the lake's voracious pike minnow population.

"Taking out pikeminnows gives the Cultus Lake sockeye a better chance for survival," said Frank Kwok, president of the Salmon Society.

Cultus Lake sockeye, once plentiful in the lake, are now hard to find, and pike minnows prey on the fish at every stage of life. Smolts are especially vulnerable when they prepare to leave the lake through narrow Sweltzer Creek.

"These pikeminnows tend to gather in great big predator pits," said Kwok. "Smolts have to swim through this lion's den in order to get out to the river to get out to the ocean. That's where they become really easy pickings."

Fortunately for the salmon and for new anglers trying their luck for the first time, pikeminnows are relatively easy to catch says Kwok.

And derby organizers have made it worth participants' while to catch them.

Prizes are being awarded in three categories: adults, boys and girls.

Lucky participants in each category will win prizes for the biggest fish, the most fish, and for fish that match hidden weights.

Twenty-five specially tagged pike minnows, released into the lake last week, will fetch another $100 each for anyone entered in the derby who catches one.

Participants who buy their tickets before Saturday at Fred's Tackle, Chilliwack Dart and Tackle or the Rosedale Mini Mart are eligible for a host of additional draw prizes to be posted on Saturday.

For those without rods and reels of their own, the derby has sets available for free on a first-come, first-serve basis. Participants can also sign up for an hour-and-a-half trip on a guided jet boat.

"If they catch a fish, they can bring it back in and enter it as a fish for the derby," said Kwok.

For Kwok, an avid fisherman, the derby is all about getting youngsters into the sport.

"We're hoping that they'll like fishing and wind up buying a rod and reel and a fishing license and become hooked on fishing," he says.

For more on the derby, call Evelyn Kwok at 604-7993466.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2009, 08:38:26 PM »

Derby went very well today even though fishing was slow and no tagged fish were caught so 5 names were drawn and they each won $100 including our own Everyday. Thanks to ED for helping at the derby as well. He would have done better if he went out in the Leaf Craft #2. ;D

Lots of prizes were given out to many happy kids and adult. Thanks to Frank, Ev, The Master, Buckeye, Bucks Wife, Bederko, Dean Werk of Great River Fishing Adventures and some of his and other guides for taking out people in their jet boats. Also many others from the committee worked very hard too.

I will post more info later when I am not so tired but the biggest fish caught by an adult, Scotty Manweieller was 1.36 KG monster (a shade under 3 pounds) and Scott won a pontoon boat.

The winner of the Greg Clark Memorial Trophy landed a .74kg pike minnow and also won a Norco Mountain bike and $50 gift certificate, total value $400. Tessa Mckay was the top junior angler with her fish.

The junior boy won a similar bike package as Ethan Lazar took this grand prize with a .54 Kg fish.

Pictures to follow later and a further report tomorrow, bed time now. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2009, 10:12:10 PM »

From the Weigh Master Nick. ;D

There was 473 fish caught this year as compared to close to 700 last year..

Trophy Fisher

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2009, 10:51:52 PM »

Chris, do you know how many tickets were sold for the derby?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2009, 12:42:40 PM »

Chris, do you know how many tickets were sold for the derby?
Around 412 adults and I have to finish counting the Junior's yet. Still tired from the event. ???

Rodney will be posting some of the pictures I took when he picks out the ones he wants to use. I will complete more info on the derby after my afternoon nap. ::) After all its Father's Day and we can do what we wish. ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2009, 02:48:28 PM »

Chris' photos from the derby are now available for viewing at:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/cultus2009

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2009, 09:01:18 PM »

I believe that we can very safely then assume that we had well over 1000 people involved in this years very successful derby. 794 registered fishers with an estimate of 1,000 people comming to view the displays and the event.

Results Junior (under 16)

Greg Clark Memorial Trophy

Largest pike minnow by a junior

Tessa MacKay  .74 kg. Won a Norco Mountain Bike with a $50 Gift Certificate

Second place junior girl

Desiree MacKay .43kg

Third place junior girl

Maya MacKay .42 kg

Junior Boys largest pike minnow

First place

Ethan Lazar .54 kg. Won a Norco Mountain Bike with a $50 gift certificate

Second

Jarrod Beyer .46kg

Third

Dawson Jarvis .46kg

Most pike minnows caught by a junior boy

Matthew Fisher  26

Most  pike minnows caught by a junior girl

Kelly Holdsworth  34

Hidden weight by a junior boy

Jami Weathergil

Hidden weight by a junior girl

Teagan Jones

Adult Division

Largest pike minnow

Scott Manwieller  1.36 kg. Won a 8 foot Streamer XL Pontoon Boat $800 value

Second

Sevana Bury .82 kg

Third

Mark Nuyens .66 kg

Most pike minnows

Troy Huggins 29 Won a PVR machine

Hidden weight

Rob Beckers

I did not list all the prizes as some were too lenghty, just the major ones are listed.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 04:31:47 AM by chris gadsden »