Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TFO 3113 cp rod?  (Read 15432 times)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Re: TFO 3113 cp rod?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 09:55:04 PM »

Well...me and fish bonk were fishing in an area with lots of trees so when his line got caught in a tree across the river he showed me a trick called the "queen charlotte special" were you bassically give the rod one un-graceful gear busting jerk in hopes your line will
Come free from the tree.......whos the one thats hard on gear??!

How is that special?   :o

cohoaaron

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 10:15:53 PM »

I have no clue. Thats just what he called it

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 10:33:49 PM »

how many people that have commented have actually fished both the TFO 3113 and a Sage 3113MB ??

I have owned both and fished the TFO for 2 solid seasons, I also fished my Sage for a few years. They are fairly similar in action however the TFO does have a bit more beef in the bottom end which is actually nicer when fighting springs. on many occasions with big springs and my Sage rod it crossed my mind to just bust the fish off before having my rod snapped.

I sold the pin gear last year and for the few times a year i fish a gear rod i just grab my Sage 2106LB with a Calcutta 200 mounted on it. Love this setup and its WAY lighter than my Sage 3113MB and Hardy Silex by leas and bounds  ;D

I say if you cant afford the Sage rod then the TFO is a great rod for the price mark (i paid 189.99 at A&N) and TFO also has a lifetime warranty but they phrase it differently as a (no fault warranty) you just pay per section broken (this was $15/section when i busted my pin rod) which is WAY less than Sages warranty cost of about $65 and if its a custom built brown blank then you are also out the cost of having it re-tied because they only warranty the blank. They do warranty the entire rod on factory built rods though

Happy rod shopping Aaron

PS - maybe look into Gloomis and Lamiglas rods as well
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:41:29 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

cohoaaron

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 10:44:03 PM »

Thanks alot HOOK awsome awsome info! :) i think i will begin my search for a TFO...........but!! I have ONE last question... Is the TFO 3113 much less of a beefstick than my trophy xl ?? (10'6 8-17lb) because the last thing i want is another stiff beefy rod....

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 10:50:09 PM »

what's a good pin rod for $250-300? i'm looking for something similar also, sorry for hijacking

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 10:56:04 PM »

Thanks alot HOOK awsome awsome info! :) i think i will begin my search for a TFO...........but!! I have ONE last question... Is the TFO 3113 much less of a beefstick than my trophy xl ?? (10'6 8-17lb) because the last thing i want is another stiff beefy rod....
the tfo rod is longer, the longer rod allows for longer casts and on those long casts you can have the tip higher keeping line off the water while the trophy isnt as long. it doesn't really answer your question but is something to think about. And the tfo is a better rod and has better warrenty.

edit: read that wrong  :-[ they both are about the same action, but the tfo is a bit lighter action, but i have never fished the tfo but i have the trophy.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Nitroholic

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 10:59:13 PM »

Only one year warranty on that TFO. I have one I might be selling...

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 11:01:41 PM »

im pretty sure the Loomis and Lamiglas rods are more in the $250 + range but still nowhere near the 600+ that Sages are, also should mention that Sage discontinued their gear rods.

Aaron - I havent fished a Trophy rod but when i was looking to buy my first CP setup i didnt like the way it felt when i wiggled it, also really didnt like the Trophy Winter Run reel they had out at the time. I caught every type of salmon/steelhead with my TFO and Sage and enjoyed the play on big hogs right through to 5lb pinks with each setup but then again i enjoy 12" trout on a 4wt  ;D

HOOK - If i went back to a cp (which wont happen) i would fish a Milner Kingfisher on a switch rod or spey rod blank because i wouldnt target springs

the 1 yr warranty is for full relacement, the no fault warranty kick in after that or if you break the rod by negligence in the first year. 1st year only covers manufacturing defects
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:03:22 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

cohoaaron

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 11:06:58 PM »

Only one year warranty on that TFO. I have one I might be selling...
Hey bud we are both in richmond...could i PLEASE see the rod? (maybe buy it if your selling)

cohoaaron

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 12:22:50 AM »

Thanks for all the realy helpful replies HOOK......,..,. Nobody would consider this rod a "meatstick" would they?

mr.p

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 12:45:08 AM »

I would recommend the Amundsen 2116M.  11'6, 10-17#.  It's like $120 at army navy.  It's a great rod.  The cork is a bit fat off the rack but you can have it shaved and contoured for cheap or just do it yourself.  The length and action are great for cp.

I fished the TFO 3113 for a few weeks this salmon season while I had the cork and seat on my Amundsen redone.
The TFO is rated something like 10-20 or 12-20.  It is good for springs, chum.  But too much for your average coho, steelhead.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

cohoaaron

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 12:54:09 AM »

Oh wow... I didnt think it was rated that much......i think the trouble its going to be getting a TFO i might as well get the amundson......you sure that tfo is rated that heavy?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 12:55:56 AM by cohoaaron »

matrix111

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 08:21:16 AM »

I would recommend the Amundsen 2116M.  11'6, 10-17#.  It's like $120 at army navy.  It's a great rod.  The cork is a bit fat off the rack but you can have it shaved and contoured for cheap or just do it yourself.  The length and action are great for cp.

I fished the TFO 3113 for a few weeks this salmon season while I had the cork and seat on my Amundsen redone.
The TFO is rated something like 10-20 or 12-20.  It is good for springs, chum.  But too much for your average coho, steelhead.

I got the Amundson 2113M at Steveston Marine for $60+, (it was boxing week) but listed at $80, Very similar to 2116M, same lenght at 11'6" 8-17lb but at  big discount.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:26:14 AM by matrix111 »

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 08:26:36 AM »

The Amundson has a slower action than the Trophy XL you are talking about, you can also land big springs on it if you want to cork it but i will be getting something heavier next year. It also balances nicer with a heavier reel like a silex.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 10:41:12 AM »

FWIW,
I owned this rod for almost five years (trigger seat, not CP, but exactly the same blank) until I broke the tip last fall high-sticking a big Vedder spring. ::)

I tried to get the tip section replacement for the rod through Fred's. Sadly, I was told by TFO that they no longer produced that blank and there was nothing they could do about it.  >:(

There is only a ONE YEAR warranty on TFO drift rods. Fly fishing rods are warranted for life, but not the drift rods. Please keep that in mind.

Lats but not least: I had the chance to compare this rod to the Sage 3113 a number of times and in a number of different situations.
There is no comparison. While the Sage is a subtle, sensitive, responsive yet strong and well-rounded fishing tool, the TFO is rather rough with little (if any) sensitivity in the tip.

My advice: stay away from this rod if you are looking at replicating the Sage 3113 action. This one doesn't even come close.
I am currently using the intermediate action 11.5' Trophy drift rod and like it much better than the TFO.