Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 78703 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #555 on: September 18, 2022, 08:11:06 PM »

Ok, after some messages and phone calls back and forth, here it is. I'm C&Ping this from my Facebook page.

IMPORTANT! Please share.

I have been getting numerous messages regarding salmon fishing openings in the non-tidal portion of the Fraser River. There was a miscommunication in the fishery notices which went out on Friday. Because an amendment cannot be released until Tuesday to correct them and we want to make sure anglers are aware of the fishing opportunities available in the meantime, we're doing something a bit unconventional here. I have been communicating with resource management and enforcement at Fisheries and Oceans Canada this afternoon so I can distribute the updates. Here are the corrections and clarifications:

* CPR Bridge in Mission to Carey Point (Jesperson's) *
Chinook, coho, pink and chum salmon fishing is CLOSED. Sockeye salmon fishing remains open until SEPTEMBER 21ST, daily quota is TWO.

* Carey Point (Jesperson's) to Hwy 1 Bridge in Hope *
Effective until SEPTEMBER 21ST 2022, you can retain FOUR chinook salmon per day (only one over 50cm).
You can retain TWO sockeye salmon per day. You have to release all coho, chum and pink salmon.

* Hwy 1 Bridge in Hope to Alexandra Bridge *
Effective until SEPTEMBER 25TH 2022, you can retain FOUR chinook salmon per day (only one over 50cm).
You can retain TWO sockeye salmon per day. You have to release all coho, chum and pink salmon.

The aggregate daily limit for all species of Pacific salmon from tidal and non-tidal waters combined is four (4).

There is a bait ban in effect.

Fishing is permitted during daylight hours only which refers to one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset).

The last day of salmon fishing for the section downstream from Hope is 21st instead of 22nd as stated on Friday's notice because 22nd is in fact the start date of the Interior Fraser steelhead protection window.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #556 on: September 18, 2022, 10:07:53 PM »

Ok, after some messages and phone calls back and forth, here it is. I'm C&Ping this from my Facebook page.

IMPORTANT! Please share.

I have been getting numerous messages regarding salmon fishing openings in the non-tidal portion of the Fraser River. There was a miscommunication in the fishery notices which went out on Friday. Because an amendment cannot be released until Tuesday to correct them and we want to make sure anglers are aware of the fishing opportunities available in the meantime, we're doing something a bit unconventional here. I have been communicating with resource management and enforcement at Fisheries and Oceans Canada this afternoon so I can distribute the updates. Here are the corrections and clarifications:

* CPR Bridge in Mission to Carey Point (Jesperson's) *
Chinook, coho, pink and chum salmon fishing is CLOSED. Sockeye salmon fishing remains open until SEPTEMBER 21ST, daily quota is TWO.

* Carey Point (Jesperson's) to Hwy 1 Bridge in Hope *
Effective until SEPTEMBER 21ST 2022, you can retain FOUR chinook salmon per day (only one over 50cm).

* Hwy 1 Bridge in Hope to Alexandra Bridge *
Effective until SEPTEMBER 25TH 2022, you can retain FOUR chinook salmon per day (only one over 50cm).

The aggregate daily limit for all species of Pacific salmon from tidal and non-tidal waters combined is four (4).

There is a bait ban in effect.

Fishing is permitted during daylight hours only which refers to one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset).

The last day of salmon fishing for the section downstream from Hope is 21st instead of 22nd as stated on Friday's notice because 22nd is in fact the start date of the Interior Fraser steelhead protection window.
thanks for the clarification Rodney
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #557 on: September 21, 2022, 09:49:03 PM »

Just wondering why in the announcement it states "Effective immediately until September 25, 2022, in the waters of the Fraser River from the downstream side of the Highway One Bridge at Hope, BC to the confluence with Sawmill Creek," what does it mean by the downstream side of the bridge, I thought it was upstream of the bridge.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #558 on: September 22, 2022, 07:14:56 AM »

I think , but may be I'm wrong . Scale Bar has the only access to fishing around #1 Hope bridge .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #559 on: September 22, 2022, 07:55:34 AM »

It’s been a long time since I’ve fished up there but isn’t Croft island bar directly below the bridge ?

Phronesis

« Reply #560 on: September 22, 2022, 08:53:56 AM »

Just wondering why in the announcement it states "Effective immediately until September 25, 2022, in the waters of the Fraser River from the downstream side of the Highway One Bridge at Hope, BC to the confluence with Sawmill Creek," what does it mean by the downstream side of the bridge, I thought it was upstream of the bridge.

I think it means the boundary is the lower or south side of the bridge

ern

« Reply #561 on: September 22, 2022, 09:27:19 AM »

The way I see it, if the creek enters the Fraser downstream from the bridge, you can't fish under the bridge. If it enters the Fraser upstream, you can. 

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #562 on: September 22, 2022, 09:31:36 AM »

I think it means the boundary is the lower or south side of the bridge
I think you're right.

roeman

« Reply #563 on: September 22, 2022, 03:44:26 PM »

How many years have fishery notices been published...
And they still can't make it clear...
Must have a university degree in basket weaving...
Are you fishin or catchin

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #564 on: September 22, 2022, 09:56:00 PM »

How many years have fishery notices been published...
And they still can't make it clear...
Must have a university degree in basket weaving...
;D im not sure why but every government document uses the most confusing language

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #566 on: September 23, 2022, 05:13:19 PM »

in terms of sockeye fishing above the hope bridge do not waste your time. There are no gravel bars or suitable spots, just big rocks, snags, and sturgeon fisherman. The spots with no rocks have no current so bottom bouncing doesn't work.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #567 on: September 24, 2022, 04:27:04 PM »

Fair amount of finners and jumpers on this afternoon’s tide in the north arm.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #568 on: September 27, 2022, 12:33:14 PM »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/british-columbia/article-poaching-fears-rise-as-fraser-river-salmon-are-dumped-to-rot-even-as/

had a person tell me that does municipal garbage for the city of maple ridge tell me that they were picking up dumpsters full of salmon from the katzi reserve.

roeman

« Reply #569 on: September 27, 2022, 04:54:36 PM »

had a person tell me that does municipal garbage for the city of maple ridge tell me that they were picking up dumpsters full of salmon from the katzi reserve.
If you think its a problem report to DFO, include pictures. 
Are you fishin or catchin