Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire Under Canal Highway Bridge Causes Accident  (Read 21222 times)

pbish

Fire Under Canal Highway Bridge Causes Accident
« on: November 15, 2013, 10:17:34 AM »

I heard a report this morning there was a 17 Vehicle Accident on the Hwy 1 Vedder Canal Bridge possibly caused by smoke from a fisherman's fire below the bridge. Anyone else heard anything?

fic

• Old Timer
Re: Fire Under Canal Highway Bridge Causes Accident
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 10:22:06 AM »

http://www.news1130.com/2013/11/15/massive-pileup-closes-highway-1-in-chilliwack/

Hope the fuel don't leak into the Vedder and contaminate the canal.

Suther

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 12:03:52 PM »

Really!? A bon fire under a highway bridge. Some people....

Troutfun

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 12:05:43 PM »

Smart fishermen under the bridge .....thought that through all the way did ya boys . Another good reason to avoid the Vedder gong show how stunned can people be.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »

Things happen when driving, be prepared. Ignoring the big fire to stay warm and dry, people shouldn't tailgate, should be alert and aware. Bad drivers being bad.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 12:09:07 PM »

Regardless where the fire was, a 17 car pile-up is a result of drivers not keeping a safe distance between each other. There'll always be unexpected distractions, that's why you leave enough distance to avoid a crash during these encounters.

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 12:28:09 PM »

vedder is stuffed, so many coho.  Gotta hae a fire though

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 12:40:40 PM »

the #1 Vedder Canal Bridge is a frequent point for serious & often fatal accidents. It's even known by Highways and the Media that the bridge design was seriously flawed at the get go. The bridge and highway was designed for traffic conditions of 40 to 50 years ago. It's a death trap. Vehicles today are faster, more responsive and there are several times more on the road at any given time than when the highway was opened. For close to 30 years the political dogma in BC was we need to spend less on road improvements so transit could be improved and extended. As a result with the typical political will in BC we got neither. Anyone know you could take a train to fish the Chilliwack River until the late 50s?

Seventeen vehicles at random is a pretty good sample as anyone with a basic knowledge of statistics would know. So most everyone is driving inappropriately in the face of risks. People drive the way they do for a variety of reasons beyond simple undo attention. Problem drivers constitute those who drive without sufficient care (too fast too close) and those who don't follow basic common sense & rules of the road - keep with the flow in your lane, stay to the right if you can't. First generation drivers  (PC for immigrants) are recognized within the auto insurance industry as a major source of traffic accidents and industries. For the rest of us we are inculcated into North American driving patterns by spending 15 or more years driving in the company of our parents. My frequent experience on the #1 is there are 2 speeds - too fast or too slow for the conditions - happening simultaneously. You leave enough room between your car and the one in front and some speed demon will slip in there and viola you are tailgating. Same problem with passers moving from the right lane to the left and not accelerating to the speed in the left lane. The change in the safe driving habits of very large commercial vehicles over the last 20 years is shocking. That has been driven by economics as driver pay has been linked to time constraints - they lose pay for being late.

Overall I'd say that better than half of the safety issues on our highways is systemic.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 04:46:12 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

rustybee

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »

Never seen bonfires at the Veeder. Strange to just blame it on "anglers" since most of the serious anglers I know would rather fish than stay warm next to a fire...

Regardless where the fire was, a 17 car pile-up is a result of drivers not keeping a safe distance between each other. There'll always be unexpected distractions, that's why you leave enough distance to avoid a crash during these encounters.

Don't venture out there other than to fish and I find myself driving at 110kmh just to keep up with the slow traffic. Idiots drivers driving 30+ over the speed limit all the while tailgating (what's happened to a minimum of 3 car lengths going over 100?)… all just to get to their destination a couple minutes faster. Add in slick conditions, low visibility and I amazed that there aren't more accidents in the Valley.

Animal Chin

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 12:59:42 PM »

Don't venture out there other than to fish and I find myself driving at 110kmh just to keep up with the slow traffic. Idiots drivers driving 30+ over the speed limit all the while tailgating (what's happened to a minimum of 3 car lengths going over 100?)… all just to get to their destination a couple minutes faster. Add in slick conditions, low visibility and I amazed that there aren't more accidents in the Valley.

The worse are the big pickups that insist on switching in and out of lanes to tailgate you...when it's pouring rain.. there are cars in front of me as far as the eye can see, where do you suggest I go. DB. Some seriously sketchy drivers on that highway and it's not the slow "inexperienced" drivers I'm worried about.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:04:26 PM by Animal Chin »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »

Precisely. Amazing what drivers do to save a few minutes.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 06:08:47 PM »

Precisely. Amazing what drivers do to save a few minutes.

At the cost of more fuel nonetheless. ICBC should have fun trying to determine who stopped in time and got rear ended and who was tailgating/speeding. I imagine they could tell from what end of vehicles have most damage.

/shrug and the insurance premiums rise.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 06:37:09 PM »

^ this!
If people were paying attention and driving accordingly, this would not have happened.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 07:16:26 PM »

(what's happened to a minimum of 3 car lengths going over 100?)…

there's your problem - all you smart guys who say it's due to people tailgating, how meters do you need between a car and the car in front of it if the speed is 100km? I bet no one can get the answer right without going to some source via google.

Hint - Rustybee you must have a very very long car.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 07:32:30 PM »

there's your problem - all you smart guys who say it's due to people tailgating, how meters do you need between a car and the car in front of it if the speed is 100km? I bet no one can get the answer right without going to some source via google.

Hint - Rustybee you must have a very very long car.

It's 3 second gap in good conditions now (whether that's what he meant or not is unclear), however 4-5 in rain like this is a better bet.

Aside from that, biggest pet peeve of mine is "Keep right except to pass". I rage like no other to you coastal folk that do this.  Stop it.

Quit.

No. Enough.