Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beach fishing, mouth of the cap  (Read 5382 times)

Zanna

Beach fishing, mouth of the cap
« on: September 23, 2012, 02:41:02 PM »

This morning I fished the mouth of the cap from 6:30 to 10:30, it was completely dead.  :-\

By that I mean:
I didn't get a single bite (which not that unusual  :P)
I didn't see anyone else getting a single bite, let alone landing something
I didn't see a single salmon jump.

So much for the perfect Sunday with early morning low tide and cloudy weather...

On the positive side the sea was beautiful lots crabs and sea stars where I was fishing and around 9am I saw 3 sea otters few meters away getting into the water.

aaron.az

Re: Beach fishing, mouth of the cap
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 03:05:57 PM »

Fished the mouth of the cap 3 times this month without seeing or catching a thing. I was maybe 30 feet ahead of the train bridge casting as far as i could. seems (through word of mouth) salmon travel mostly through the channel beside the far native side. Tried colorados and 1/2 croc spoons

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 03:30:21 PM »

Just keep at it.

There will be days you will hit it right and be rewarded for your efforts.
Two weeks ago a friend of mine and I limited out at the same place in about two hours. And so did many of the other people fishing there at the time.
The water was literally boiling with aggressive fish, with up to ten, even fifteen fish jumping and splashing at the same time.  :o

Yet, the very next day it was dead quiet under pretty much the same circumstances. Sometimes the incoming tide brings lots of willing fish, sometimes it doesn't. It is the luck of the draw, and that's why it is called fishing and not catching. You still managed to appreciate being out there and that is what it is all about. :)

If at the end of a fishless day people feel that their time was wasted because they didn't catch anything, they should consider giving up the sport and finding something else to do in their free time.

Drewhill

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 05:09:47 PM »

Heard it's been dead for about a month.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 05:23:58 PM »

Heard it's been dead for about a month.
More like two, maybe three weeks.
While it was really hot, nobody bragged about it online (fortunately). Otherwise, it would have been even more of a gong show.

salmonlover

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 06:35:14 PM »

While it was really hot, nobody bragged about it online (fortunately). Otherwise, it would have been even more of a gong show.

yeah, I was amazed that stayed offline. My buddies called me, and told me to get down asap. I think it was like two and half weeks ago. They described the same thing...lots of fish rolling. I was going to get in my truck, but I thought the time I would have gotten there it would have been a gong show.

Zanna

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 11:49:39 PM »

Lol I was targeting this area in july, early august ( catched a fish) then I decided it was time to hit the vedder and been there for the last 4 weekend so from what I'm hearing I missed out on the best times  ::)

Hope next week picks up a bit, there are road work on prot Mann bridge with traffic delays so I'm planing to stay somewhere around Vancouver. I'm not familiar with other fisheries on this side of the bridge.

Drewhill

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 09:25:42 AM »

Well I think we need to start west van beach summer salmon fishery information & water condition updates topic  ;)

Zanna

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 09:07:16 PM »

Well I think we need to start west van beach summer salmon fishery information & water condition updates topic  ;)

I'm in   ;D

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 09:16:32 PM »

The only people contributing will be the ones who are late to the party, all the people catching will keep keep their mouths shut and rightly so.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 11:24:59 PM »

The only people contributing will be the ones who are late to the party, all the people catching will keep keep their mouths shut and rightly so.

You got that right, mister! ;D

mko72

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 05:59:31 PM »

Quick question regarding technique.  For those of us with spinning rods, are we mainly limited to hardware? Spoons, buzz bombs, and spinners?

Thanks

Dogbreath

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 10:11:30 PM »

Quick question regarding technique.  For those of us with spinning rods, are we mainly limited to hardware? Spoons, buzz bombs, and spinners?
Because of conditions the short answer is Yes.

I've yet to see someone use something like a Berkley Power Grub or something similar under a float-or even a Herring strip under same-the tidal action can give a very enticing action to the bait-this is quite popular in other places.

But there are so many people all casting that someone will snag you probably sooner than later-also you'd need quite a long rod-spinning or anything else-to control your line.

Dogbreath

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 09:34:37 PM »

I forgot to add 'a strip attached to a white jig' under a float.

Interesting there was just a link posted on SFBC to an article about this from WA state.

Zanna

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 09:18:24 PM »

Anyone got any luck this week on this spot?