Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 78690 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #495 on: September 13, 2022, 09:21:25 AM »

I've been hearing hwy 1 east from chilliwack is closed to Hope; so detours are in place. But those detours are extremely backlogged. I've only fished the bars near Hope in the past during sockeye season. So are most people just going to the local bars in CHilliwack like pegleg and gill?

stsfisher

« Reply #496 on: September 13, 2022, 10:50:11 AM »

I'm sure Chuck has a license to sell if anyone was interested.

https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/bar/d/rosedale-fresh-fish/7531848882.html

Fresh sockeye and spring
$15.00 lb for sockeye
$3.50 lb for spring
Text 6047065228 for Chuck and address in Rosedale on the rez
Must pick up
Bring big cooler

stsfisher

« Reply #497 on: September 13, 2022, 10:55:02 AM »

No shortage of these adds on craigslist. Cant imagine it would be too hard for a reporter to get a good story for their news outlet.

https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/for/d/hope-sockeye-salmon/7530636315.html

Fresh Sockeye salmon from
the fraiser river

Pickup only or delivery fee

- Call to order
-We get the fish
-Then we call you back
When your order is ready
for pickup.

Call the fish guy and order
today. (778-933-2559)

$15 for Sockeye & $2 a pound
for spring salmon.

The fish very in size.

Not cleaned
$2 fee per fish if you want
the fish cleaned

Looking for big orders

I'm interested in trades just ask if I'd. Trade for anything cool.

Fish guy (778-933-2559)

stsfisher

« Reply #498 on: September 13, 2022, 10:57:53 AM »

Price went down as the season progressed:

https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/for/d/similkameen-fresh-sockeye-salmon/7520691717.html

Fresh as you can get sockeye Salmon fresh out of the river
From the river to your freezer within hours

$20 a fish $25 cleaned

Pick up only

Taking orders now
Looking for the bigger orders

8-10 pounded

Call now to place your order
778-933-2559

stsfisher

« Reply #499 on: September 13, 2022, 11:00:23 AM »

I like this one, something we can all appreciate:

https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/for/d/similkameen-fresh-sockeye-salmon/7520691717.html

There are some postings on here by poachers selling illegally caught Sockeye salmon, there are no openings, it has been closed this year due to low numbers. Yet there are still these vile humans who think they are above the law and poaching our salmon(and dumping some) to sell, which could be spawning instead so we have more salmon in the years to come. Sustainability is important and we need everyone's help to stop these scumbags.
Don't support these poachers, report them; For fisheries violations related to salmon, contact Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO). You can also contact your local RCMP detachment or municipal police.
For more info:
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/ORR-ONS-eng.html

mikeyman

« Reply #500 on: September 13, 2022, 11:11:41 AM »

While i know of a few cases of direct chief involvement in the past. I would say that most do try their best they can to combat poachers/fish dumping ect and i feel what you just said is uncalled for accusation.

Its like saying the mayor of vancouver is involved from and benefits from all the crime that takes place in vancouver.

selling FSC fish tho seems to be a bit different from poachers, Seems there is a good amount of support from community's and chief to sell it. They believe it is the "social" aspect of FSC and point to cases like 5 nations and marshall.

You said it Straight to the chiefs pockets sitting high on the hog while so many others go without.

Those fish are not legally sold. Social does not mean commercial. 

ratfish

« Reply #501 on: September 13, 2022, 11:45:38 AM »

Hopefully the media attention Rod has started brings this to the attention of the leaders of our First Nations. Thanks Rod!!! Some of my family are First Nations "I haven't applied for status but can get it if I decided to" do get salmon from the ceremonial fisheries. Their is always an Elder their confirming your relationship to the band. I find it hard to believe that the leaders in the bands condone or even get a cut of illegal sales. Their are bad apples every where. Rod is being a leader for fisheries management which I think everyone should be envious of him for. I know I am.

Phronesis

« Reply #502 on: September 13, 2022, 11:45:51 AM »

I was at Gill bar yesterday and had a good experience, met a lot of nice guys, some people caught their limit, but it was a slow day, I hooked some but couldnt land any....
Will be going out tomorrow again but maybe try some new spots idk....

last week I had a spring from vedder, removed the skin and dipped it in milk to remove the stink (using milk powder) and it tasted just like cod or halibut

mikeyman

« Reply #503 on: September 13, 2022, 12:22:57 PM »

Hopefully the media attention Rod has started brings this to the attention of the leaders of our First Nations. Thanks Rod!!! Some of my family are First Nations "I haven't applied for status but can get it if I decided to" do get salmon from the ceremonial fisheries. Their is always an Elder their confirming your relationship to the band. I find it hard to believe that the leaders in the bands condone or even get a cut of illegal sales. Their are bad apples every where. Rod is being a leader for fisheries management which I think everyone should be envious of him for. I know I am.

Forgive me but so many are nieve about what truly goes on  this is exactly what the chiefs and delegates have pushed for. Full access to do as they please. It is thier fish and nobody else's. They want an agreement to own the majority of the commercial sales of fish and when they don't get it they do it anyways. Then excuses lip service of a few bad apples. Give me a break. I know we all want to think this isn't the case but it is 100 percent what is going on. They wanted the deal to sell most of the catch that is why they are saying they got a crap deal this year. Sorry getting over a million sockeye is not a crap deal when rec sector only 0.02 percent if that.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 12:25:14 PM by mikeyman »

ratfish

« Reply #504 on: September 13, 2022, 12:30:15 PM »

Looks like mikeyman thinks we need the commercial sector invovled? I agree.. Everyone needs to be apart of this.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #505 on: September 13, 2022, 01:01:44 PM »

I was at Gill bar yesterday and had a good experience, met a lot of nice guys, some people caught their limit, but it was a slow day, I hooked some but couldnt land any....
Will be going out tomorrow again but maybe try some new spots idk....

last week I had a spring from vedder, removed the skin and dipped it in milk to remove the stink (using milk powder) and it tasted just like cod or halibut

No amount of milk soaking is going to make a white spring taste or have the texture of HALIBUT or COD. Makes good dog food though, gives my dog a nice soft coat.

For those who enjoy and partake in the sockeye harvest go and have at it, 4 years until you can again....maybe

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #506 on: September 13, 2022, 01:37:10 PM »

DFO's Mike Fraser on CKNW just now saying that many of the fish for sale are coming from FSC indigenous fisheries along with unsanctioned fisheries.

Confirmed by DFO

mikeyman

« Reply #507 on: September 13, 2022, 01:55:23 PM »

DFO's Mike Fraser on CKNW just now saying that many of the fish for sale are coming from FSC indigenous fisheries along with unsanctioned fisheries.

Confirmed by DFO

Yep nice to see it getting attention finally. 👍
Say goodbye to Trudeau in a few short years.
It was said above the commercial should get involved. I always said in past it is about all 3 groups coming together to figure it out. Unfortunately every group fights for themselves instead of putting  thier heads together for greater good of the salmon and economy. Sorry should be 4 groups rec commercial fn and dfo. Collaboration to have balance of conservation and in turn prosperity. So many ways to skin that cat.  But unfortunately everyone  fights and points fingers and wants it all. Pure greed is what it comes down to along with political motives. Sick we can't figure it out.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 02:02:26 PM by mikeyman »

sumasriver

« Reply #508 on: September 13, 2022, 01:55:46 PM »

First Corporate fishers greed... combined with destruction of fish habitat for business greed.....   Now we see illegal fishing - greed.....

Our salmon deserve so much better......  BC salmon runs were a gift to our province.. we have mismanaged this resource from day 1.

PS - quickly cranking up / dragging up the beach a foul hooked / snagged  Sockeye is not fishing. Giving BC residents a 10 day advanced course in how to snag salmon may not be an ideal strategy in our province in these times of salmon conservation.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 02:34:46 PM by sumasriver »

mikeyman

« Reply #509 on: September 13, 2022, 02:56:33 PM »

First Corporate fishers greed... combined with destruction of fish habitat for business greed.....   Now we see illegal fishing - greed.....

Our salmon deserve so much better......  BC salmon runs were a gift to our province.. we have mismanaged this resource from day 1.

PS - quickly cranking up / dragging up the beach a foul hooked / snagged  Sockeye is not fishing. Giving BC residents a 10 day advanced course in how to snag salmon may not be an ideal strategy in our province in these times of salmon conservation.

Completely agree. I wanted a tidal opening outside Fraser mouth. Can't believe they allowed snagging fish meanwhile they bite pink hootchies with your dummy flasher troll. All the while huge amounts of fish taken by seine nets and commercial troller then the biggest Gill netting fsc illegal sale fishery  dfo f up more this year than I have ever witnessed. Disgusting  vedder going to be full of Betty's and braid and 12 ft leaders as soon as the socs close.
All politics to appease one group.
I have never seen a river only opening. Who the f is making these descions? New people in positions they are not qualified for given marching orders for political truth and reconciliation reasons. Why is the government allowing this you ask?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 03:00:11 PM by mikeyman »