Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 78677 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #315 on: September 04, 2022, 11:34:12 AM »

oops, my bad.

there are currently openings for chinook in Kamloops Lake, The South Thompson, Thompson river downstream of  Gold pan park, Skihist Eco reserve. Other openings may be announced.

I think the message is check https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/bc-zones-cb-eng.html#wb-auto-4 before claiming there is no opening for anything other than sturgeon.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #316 on: September 04, 2022, 12:25:06 PM »

oops, my bad.

there are currently openings for chinook in Kamloops Lake, The South Thompson, Thompson river downstream of  Gold pan park, Skihist Eco reserve. Other openings may be announced.

I think the message is check https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/bc-zones-cb-eng.html#wb-auto-4 before claiming there is no opening for anything other than sturgeon.

You know what i meant.
But i knew someone would nit pick my comment.

roeman

« Reply #317 on: September 04, 2022, 06:30:52 PM »

oops, my bad.

What a dick move.... 99% of the people that read the post thought it was referring to openings on the Fraser in the Chilliwack area.
Bet you got puched a few times in school.
Are you fishin or catchin

coastangler

« Reply #318 on: September 04, 2022, 07:18:50 PM »

What a dick move.... 99% of the people that read the post thought it was referring to openings on the Fraser in the Chilliwack area.
Bet you got puched a few times in school.

Maybe you guys should stop moaning and go fishing? Not much else to be said in this post after 22 pages! In addition to (plenty) of recreational Fraser openings already mentioned above, I saw in the PA fishing report that on an outing this Thursday, they limited out on Chinook at the Fraser Mouth, then headed out to the Cap Mouth and limited out on Coho, all before noon! Is that close enough to you?
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

santefe

« Reply #319 on: September 05, 2022, 08:11:23 AM »

As long as you have a boat the Sandheads or Ambleside should be doable

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #320 on: September 05, 2022, 08:54:19 AM »

For some people the glass is half empty, others it is half full.

I was never punched in school or even threatened. That includes my 7+ years in University. Looking back I realize what a great environment it all was which I miss.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #321 on: September 05, 2022, 01:20:00 PM »

You know what i meant.
But i knew someone would nit pick my comment.

I think the point was and not only made by me, there are opportunities to fish for some away from stocks at risk and they aren't that far to drive. I can't do anything about the river being closed so I don't worry about.  The 99% may think otherwise.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 03:57:00 PM by RalphH »

ribolovac02

« Reply #322 on: September 05, 2022, 08:20:10 PM »

I’m happy the  fraser river is closed to fishing , the  longer I think ,it’s better for our future .
What ever is going on now , legal or illegal it will catch up eventually , rotten apples will pay the price , just a matter of time .

I know it’s frustrating for everyone , but it will balance out sooner than later.

As for food fisheries , plenty will be available in two weeks time , for those who desperately need food , which I think is a very small minority of us , but each to their own …

I don’t think many of us go hungry becouse we don’t get our salmon , and I know we should all have the right to harvest them , but at the same time we need to be very open minded about tye damage we have all done over the last century or more .

Peace to all, in hope one day all our stocks rebound to the plentiful days that were enjoyed back in the day .

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #323 on: September 06, 2022, 06:06:43 AM »

Excellent post ribolovac02! Thanks

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #324 on: September 06, 2022, 07:50:24 AM »

Funny I did not know we could harvest a million + sockeye and then claim Rec is closed to sockeye
For conservation concerns.

The Rec fishery doesn’t harvest that many sockeye and can be ran on a fraction of the million sockeye that was already harvested.

By keeping the Rec fishery closed nothing changed the sockeye were still harvested to their allowable limits.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #325 on: September 06, 2022, 08:51:50 AM »

Funny I did not know we could harvest a million + sockeye and then claim Rec is closed to sockeye
For conservation concerns.

The Rec fishery doesn’t harvest that many sockeye and can be ran on a fraction of the million sockeye that was already harvested.

By keeping the Rec fishery closed nothing changed the sockeye were still harvested to their allowable limits.

Not to mention by opening the sockeye even for a week during the prime summer and start of fall returns it would have cut off fn access to illegal fish sales at least partly anyways.. Maybe only a select few doing it but it’s creating more damage and waste than a rec opening would would have resulted in. Sad to see good food being tossed away in bushes and dumped half rotten back into the fraser by the thousands.not to mention the number that were being sold.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #326 on: September 06, 2022, 02:08:14 PM »

The Fraser River Panel met Tuesday, September 6, to receive an update on the migration of Fraser River sockeye salmon and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed.
It is currently estimated that 4,472,300 sockeye have passed the Mission hydroacoustic site. The Panel adopted a run size of 1,850,000 for Late-run sockeye at today’s meeting.
On September 5 the discharge of the Fraser River at Hope was 2,741 cms, which is approximately 13% higher than average for this date. The temperature of the Fraser River at Qualark Creek on September 5 was 18.60C, which is 20C above average for this date. Fraser River discharge levels and water temperatures will be monitored closely to determine if specific management actions are required during the in-river migratory period to help achieve sockeye escapement goals.
CANADIAN FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS
Area 29: Portions of Subareas 29-3, 4, 6 and 10 (seaward of the 45 meter depth contour): Open to Area B purse seine ITQ fishery from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. daily from Wednesday, September 7, 2022 until further notice (Please refer to DFO Fishery Notice for further details).
Subareas 29-1 to 6: Open to Area H troll ITQ fishery from 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, September 7, 2022 until further notice (Please refer to DFO Fishery Notice for further details).
UNITED STATES FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS
All United States Fraser River Panel Area waters remain closed to commercial salmon fishing.
The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Friday, September 9,
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 02:47:10 PM by wildmanyeah »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #327 on: September 06, 2022, 05:01:19 PM »

There are Late run Sockeye harvest opportunities being planned for commercial and recreational fisheries which will be announced by separate fishery notices in the coming days.

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #328 on: September 06, 2022, 07:57:03 PM »

There are Late run Sockeye harvest opportunities being planned for commercial and recreational fisheries which will be announced by separate fishery notices in the coming days.

I really appreciate when rec openings are paired with commercial openings...

sarcasm obviously
Fishing isn't catching

Roderick

« Reply #329 on: September 06, 2022, 09:39:37 PM »

It's because the DFO policy lumps us together.  The rec fishery is only available when there is enough fish for a non-FN commercial opening. The policy says rec fishers get 5% and the commies get 95%.  Personally I think this policy should change and the rec fishery, which probably supports more people then the commercial fishery with much less impact on the sockeye run, should be treated as a completely separate fishery. 
You shoulda been here yesterday.