Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 78685 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2022, 07:32:08 AM »

Fishery Notice
Category(s):
ABORIGINAL - General Information
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll
RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject:
FN0937-Salmon - Sockeye - Areas 11 to 29 - Fraser River Sockeye Update - August 23, 2022

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=264265&ID=all

First Nations food, social and ceremonial (FSC), Treaty domestic and Five Nations communal sale fisheries in the marine area and First Nations FSC and Treaty domestic fisheries in the Fraser River are underway.

the following are examples of what are racially slurs in my opinion:

It’s a sham to call it an FSC fishery at this point

I heard they have ran out of freezer space, it’s basically just a sale fishery now.

There has been an opening for months.  For one group only. The fish dumping has already began

If they haven't fished their share then they get to fish. If there are infractions and illegal fishing and sales then those have to be individualily investigated. The rule of law and natural justice applies. Smearing FNs generally like above is racially motivated, smacks of mob rule  & the usual attack on their fishing rights that has been going on for a century and a half. Each year DFO enforcement seizes hundreds of pieces of illegal gear and lays charges when necessary. most of the bands also control their fishing activities and in many cases only 1 or 2 members are authorized to fish. The bands then distribute fish to members who live both on or off. You guys know this yet there seems to be an implication that all FSC fishing is illegal.  Most of the FNs who are given an allocation of fish, don't fish, may not want or have a use for all of the fish they and possibly naive enough to sell them. In the past Craig's List postings listing salmon for sale have been hoaxes! DFO monitors such markets. Hopefully they shut the illegal ones down. Did you and Mr Werk ask those questions at the last meeting with DFO?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 12:03:26 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2022, 08:43:11 AM »

Wow
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 08:49:49 AM by wildmanyeah »

armytruck

• Old Timer
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Dubs604

« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2022, 10:36:25 AM »

I've sent emails to a few of the current Craigslist postings.  For some reason when you ask about the legal status of the fish, they stop responding.   ::)

Whether they're an actual person trying to sell excess fish, or they're a DFO agent on a sting operation, I can't say for sure.

fisherforever

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2022, 05:36:57 PM »

There are bad actors in all sectors of the fishery.  First Nations, Commies and Recs.  What about all the rec fishers keeping wild fish, keeping over their limit, drop kicking fish back into the river, and keeping snagged fish?  Only a fraction of them are caught. 

The sense of entitlement here is nauseating.  Sockeye were never considered a sport fish in the past but we were allowed to fish them if there was sufficient surplus as a privilege.  Yet we constantly bring up the FSC fishery as an excuse to b$%ch and complain if we don’t get our way with some comments bordering on racist. 

Frankly I’m glad it’s closed for the rec sector.  This means no commercial openings as well which means less risk for stocks of concern like interior coho and Thompson Steelhead. 

Nitroholic

« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2022, 06:16:43 PM »

I'm not seeing any allowance for sales fisheries here Ralph do you have some insider knowledge? Five nations fishery is unrelated to this thread.

Current week https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/PDFs/EconomicOpportunityOpeningTimes.pdf

Previous weeks https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/PDFs/EconomicOpportunityOpeningTimes_Previous.pdf

ratfish

« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2022, 06:43:35 PM »

We need to engage everyone. I might want to catch a fish to eat tonight. Someone else might need to catch a few more to feed there family all winter. Some may also need to catch a few to sell to have some money.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2022, 07:00:32 PM »

Three Fraser River sockeye salmon recreational openings have been issued for the interior region.

Region 3 Fraser River near Lillooet:
https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=264463&ID=all

Horsefly Bay on Quesnel Lake:
https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=264467&ID=all

Nechako River in Prince George:
https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=264471&ID=all

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2022, 07:37:05 PM »

Three Fraser River sockeye salmon recreational openings have been issued for the interior region.

Region 3 Fraser River near Lillooet:
https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=264463&ID=all

Horsefly Bay on Quesnel Lake:
https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=264467&ID=all

Nechako River in Prince George:
https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=264471&ID=all

summer run TAC good to see they are trying to create some opportunities

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2022, 08:54:44 PM »

all above the confluence with the Thompson!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #147 on: August 26, 2022, 10:53:22 PM »

I'm not seeing any allowance for sales fisheries here Ralph do you have some insider knowledge? Five nations fishery is unrelated to this thread.

well that's fair enough though  it was clearly mentioned in the DFO update  and Fraser sockeye may have and likely were captured in the Five Nations fishery.

One thing I didn't mention is the Donald Marshal precedent from R vs  Marshall case where he was acquitted by the SCOC (1999) of fishing eels out of season in Nova Scotia. Amongst the courts finding was that FNs in that jurisdiction can "in limited quantities to “obtain necessaries” as a “moderate livelihood.” Marshall was supporting himself and his family, not operating a large-scale commercial fishery." While the precedent does not to knowledge apply in BC it has been used in BC courts to determine if FNs charged for selling salmon can be acquitted on the basis of having done so to obtain a moderate livelihood." Judges have applied the precedent but rejected it's application as the income earned was more than that test allowed - interpreted to be be less than $10,000. If they ever do apply it it will apply in BC providing it is upheld by higher courts. So does DFO and/or Crown Counsel apply that precedent as a guide in issuing charges and how?

I've also looked at postings for sockeye(and chinook) salmon for sale on Craig's List in the last few days. It was never more than 5 to 6 ads in any day I examined in the Lm/FV so certainly not evidence of any wide spread sale of FSC salmon being sold illegally. There's really no solid  evidence of any widespread abuse of the communal FSC fishery that I can find and most seems to be more hearsay or highly subjective.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2022, 11:53:12 PM »

all above the confluence with the Thompson!

how is the condition of the fish at that point in the river
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2022, 09:15:37 AM »

Smearing FNs generally like above is racially motivated, smacks of mob rule  & the usual attack on their fishing rights that has been going on for a century and a half. [...] You guys know this yet there seems to be an implication that all FSC fishing is illegal.

Thanks for putting it out there Ralph. I agree with the sentiment but hesitate to get involved and argue about it online. I'm sure there are plenty of others who also agree despite the negative posts being more numerous.