Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bass fishing within 1.5 hrs of Vancouver? Please advise  (Read 8071 times)

twocoaster

Bass fishing within 1.5 hrs of Vancouver? Please advise
« on: June 04, 2009, 01:21:02 PM »

I know this is a touchy subject for some; it's not my intent to stir the pot. However, if someone could please offer some advice as to where might be worth a try this weekend, I would be grateful. I have a friend who really wnats to try smalls and/or larges, and I always enjoy them on Van Island. We're hoping to avoid a ferry trip. We could likely borrow a small boat if required. If you prefer to email, mine is ekmboy@rocketmail.com Thanks!

twocoaster

jimmywits

Re: Bass fishing within 1.5 hrs of Vancouver? Please advise
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 02:22:02 PM »

I know this is a touchy subject for some; it's not my intent to stir the pot. However, if someone could please offer some advice as to where might be worth a try this weekend, I would be grateful. I have a friend who really wants to try smalls and/or larges, and I always enjoy them on Van Island. We're hoping to avoid a ferry trip. We could likely borrow a small boat if required. If you prefer to email, mine is ekmboy@rocketmail.com Thanks!

twocoaster

There is a lake in the Garibaldi region called Freeman lake, and there are smallmouth bass in there. You must travel north along Hwy#99 sea to sky, and there is a left hand turn off the Hwy which takes you over a wooden bridge which crosses the chekamus river. This is also the access road for Lucille lake. This turnoff is located roughly 2 to 3 km's south of the Daisy lake dam on Hwy #99. Try to get a forestry map of the Squamish/Garibaldi region (any Forestry office should have one)and see what you can dig up in the fish wizard. Lucille lake will be the first lake you will see as you ascend up the logging road. Freeman lake is another km or two farther and there is a short spur road to the right which will take you right to the lake.  tight lines.

twocoaster

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 08:07:46 AM »

Thanks jimmywits. I heard about Freeman a few years ago, tried it using everything in the box, no luck. We may revisit it, though, as I hate being shut out. Thanks again!

tc

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 10:43:41 AM »

Maybe some info here

noxcape

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 11:30:51 AM »

also try www.wcba.ca

also send me an msg with your email and what your looking for like smallies or largies and ill send you an email wiht some good lakes

twocoaster

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 02:58:26 PM »

Thanks also to Sam and noxcape. I'll make a decision this evening....

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 03:14:35 AM »

The Silvermere Lake report and discussion has been moved to this existing thread: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=20692.0

CALI 2 B.C.

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 01:15:39 PM »

I need to go home for some bass fishing california again proves to be the best bass fishing in the world.
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

noxcape

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 01:20:11 PM »

cali ahve you tried the bass fishing out here i think it pretty close to be being as good as cali

jimmywits

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 09:32:30 AM »

I know this is a touchy subject for some; it's not my intent to stir the pot. However, if someone could please offer some advice as to where might be worth a try this weekend, I would be grateful. I have a friend who really wants to try smalls and/or larges, and I always enjoy them on Van Island. We're hoping to avoid a ferry trip. We could likely borrow a small boat if required. If you prefer to email, mine is ekmboy@rocketmail.com Thanks!

twocoaster

If you guys reconsider the ferry trip thing, go to saltspring island and fish one of  the best bass lakes anywhere, being St. Mary's lake. There are huge bass in there and the lake is unique in that trout and bass have co-existed in there for decades.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 09:44:53 AM »

I haven't fished for bass yet, but I am wondering what I would do if I caught them in a system where it is an alien species (ex.  the Stave River, or any Fraser backwater).  Just kill them and use them as lawn fertilizer, or release them so they can eat our salmonid fry?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 01:51:51 PM »

If you guys reconsider the ferry trip thing, go to saltspring island and fish one of  the best bass lakes anywhere, being St. Mary's lake. There are huge bass in there and the lake is unique in that trout and bass have co-existed in there for decades.

Its not that unique. Many of the South Island lakes have both bass and trout co-existing. I will name a couple. Langford, Shawnigan, Elk, Beaver, and Quenell.

The trout just dont hang in the same area as the bass. Thats how they co-exist

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

noxcape

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 02:01:15 PM »

there are a few in the lower mainland also like that like silvermere and katzie and mill lake and there there is ossoyoos and skaha