Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: why steelhead  (Read 11519 times)

frozensalmon

why steelhead
« on: October 05, 2011, 10:47:54 PM »

why do everyone want to catch a steelhead? does it fight just better than other salmons? or something else? beautiful? hard to find?

personally never caught one
more coho, more coho... ::)

kosanin kosher salt

Re: why steelhead
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 11:09:59 PM »

i never caught one either . i believe since steelhead are more rare compared to other fish species , anglers look to them as the "ultimate fish" to catch . i personally dont care too much for steelhead fishing , and would rather fish other salmon . the taste "just a little different than a rainbow trout" my friend says .
ive asked the same question to myself for sometime

frozensalmon

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 11:19:41 PM »

well internet infomation said that rainbow and steelhead are actually the same except the fact rainbow trout never leave fresh water and steelhead goes out in ocean, they both can respawn a couple of times
ocean difference makes steelhead grow much biiger size than rainbows.   normmaly rainbow size is not as large as steelhead

and I think steelhead do look more beautiful than the other salmon
more coho, more coho... ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 11:48:55 PM »

You will understand when you catch one.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 11:53:29 PM »

With the amount of people on the vedder doing it now, its lost much of its appeal. fishing smaller wild rivers for a handful of fish is far more rewarding...Steelhead on the vedder on average fight terribly
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 12:12:40 AM »

Anybody can catch salmon..
Good thread..

why do everyone want to catch a steelhead? does it fight just better than other salmons? or something else? beautiful? hard to find?

personally never caught one
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 12:41:31 AM by Daumzilla »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 12:44:35 AM »

My boss asked me that about fishing in general... why i get up at 3:30 in the morning and drive 100kms, using up all my gas to spend all day fishing in the rain and come home empty handed?....FOR THE LOVE OF IT! Steelheading is not for everybody...Cold Weather, Frozen hands and guides...getting stuck in snow....coming home skunked 7 out 10 tens times....

its either in your blood or it ain't.

StillAqua

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 05:35:26 AM »

You will understand when you catch one.
That's the truth. You can't understand until you do the hunt. x2

brysonk

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 06:10:06 AM »

You guys are right, you should probably just stick to salmon. Steelhead are too hard to catch, you won't like it.   ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 08:19:30 AM »

With the amount of people on the vedder doing it now, its lost much of its appeal. fishing smaller wild rivers for a handful of fish is far more rewarding...Steelhead on the vedder on average fight terribly

Hopefully those comments will discourage the masses from fishing the Vedder steelhead this year....  ;)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 08:49:38 AM »

Hopefully those comments will discourage the masses from fishing the Vedder steelhead this year....  ;)
Well, I guess we are allowed to dream ;) Some of the best looking fish I have seen, hard to find and usually put up a great fight. Less anglers on the river and keeps flossers off the river. Just to name a few reasons ;D
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 10:32:35 AM »

Well, I guess we are allowed to dream ;) Some of the best looking fish I have seen, hard to find and usually put up a great fight. Less anglers on the river and keeps flossers off the river. Just to name a few reasons ;D

Not if you watch the clown show at KW...pretty much year round now

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 03:42:57 PM »

It's a challenge.  When young any fish would do then you start to look for that dream heavy weight fish.  After that you start to look for the rare hard to find pray.  Locally stealhead is the rare hard to find pray.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 04:02:57 PM »

i wouldnt say steelhead are hard to catch if you know where to look. for me i just love having no crowds and no snaggers and its the real fisherman out, a specail brea called steelheaders. and knowing a couple of my runs will be untouched all day, when salmon season like now they get fished not much but they do,  and ill take the snow over the damp rainy fall weather anyday. I just love that feeling of waiting for your float to dive while fishing a nice cold morning with nobody insight then boom float down a bright big fish on. also with salmon i hate when guys see you with a fish on and they literally come running over and fish two feet beside you when steelhead its rare to see more then 20 people all day.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 05:02:15 PM »

Because it is the closest to hunting, where finding the prey is 90% of the thrill.
When you find where it hides, steelhead is fairly easy to catch. They are quite gullible actually and will fall for just about anything shiny or tasty looking.

Salmon fishing (except to a certain extent coho fishing) is really not fishing at all. It is intercepting migrating fish which are on a spawning mission. I still do it for the meat, but with each passing year the appeal diminishes. Steelhead and trout fishing, on the other hand, is becoming more and more my kind of thing.

When you try steelheading and get skunked 10 times in a row only to catch your first fish on the 11th outing (after the proverbial 1000 casts), you will understand the appeal.

Any person who fishes for steelhead the same way they fish for salmon is either an unenlightened beginner or an incurable meat-head. I'll help the former; God help the latter.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 05:05:46 PM by milo »