Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bait fishing vedder  (Read 10532 times)

wazzu

bait fishing vedder
« on: February 28, 2006, 06:48:25 PM »

revist an old issue .a bait ban on the vedder an all waters, is it such an issue to change fishing styles.I know its hard for old dogs to
change but change is good donkey.its nice to catch fish but being out on the river is so r @ r . give the fish a break ?

Bone Cross

Re: bait fishing vedder
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 07:08:09 PM »

Hey Wazzu, are you a fly fishing elitist? From that post it sure sounds like. Or if now that part of the PETA!? Give me a break, and hide in your basement where you belong. I myself rarely use bait, if at most mabe 5-10 times a year and I fish 360 days a year. So my opinion is not biased at all. What is your prefered type of fishing Wazzu? There is nothing wrong with Bait, however there is something wrong with fisherman like you ::)
from a Redneck point of View!

the carp

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 07:12:08 PM »

good call bird man, all a bait ban on the vedder will do is balloon the growing numbers of flossers even more, again hiring more enforcement is the best answer.

wazzu

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 07:14:22 PM »

lets face it, you will point a finger at every one else but bait is still not necerssary with todays fishing techniques. only use bait for
harvest of fish for hatchery.

wazzu

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 07:23:01 PM »

point taken. no i dont fly fish, but i do live on the river . yes i see all the beeks day after day

the carp

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 07:27:37 PM »

hey wazzu, flossing is not a technique its legalized snagging, i have been fishing b.c. since 1958 and i have seen bait bans come and go over the years and believe me i have seen just as much damage done by artificials as bait, and in both cases not a whole lot. Tell me, have you tried to catch jacks without bait or scent?

Bone Cross

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 07:29:36 PM »

It must be tough seeing the longlining snaggers on the river everyday. I woulda been on a shooting spree by now. Stay at home or learn to shortfloat. Very few fish become mishooked this way and in the end mistreated. To all of the beeks out there, learn how to fish or stay off the rivers. Too many people are too worried about "bringing home the bacon". If this is the case go to Save on Foods and buy a fillet of fish. This will save you lots of stress. Too all of you who aren't a meat fishermanor don't want to be, shortfloat. The answer to it all. For those that don't know, a fish's field of veiw is more above them than infront and below. Something to consider when your dredging for that piece of chrome.

Bone Cross

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 07:31:13 PM »

Jack's can be just as simple to catch without bait/scent. They are just as willing to take the artificial bait as they are the real stuff.

wazzu

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 07:38:20 PM »

flossing ,not likey its ok for city slickers as far as fishing i have a my first fish picture standing beside my dads 50 dodge.i love using
wool patterns

the carp

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 07:41:20 PM »

Really, well bone cross you must be one hell of a fisherman, the humble carp fishes many ways but has not had much success on jacks, and this is on remote rivers up north where the fish haven't even seen another offering go by.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 07:44:31 PM »

It must be tough seeing the longlining snaggers on the river everyday. I woulda been on a shooting spree by now. Stay at home or learn to shortfloat. Very few fish become mishooked this way and in the end mistreated. To all of the beeks out there, learn how to fish or stay off the rivers. Too many people are too worried about "bringing home the bacon". If this is the case go to Save on Foods and buy a fillet of fish. This will save you lots of stress. Too all of you who aren't a meat fishermanor don't want to be, shortfloat. The answer to it all. For those that don't know, a fish's field of veiw is more above them than infront and below. Something to consider when your dredging for that piece of chrome.

Nice. Have you ever considered running in politics? I know you're young and all... ;)

I can feel it now, everyone is changing their techniques to the way you use because you know... they must change so they wouldn't be associated with the meat hunters, beeks, dredgers, longline snaggers, unethical terrible terrible fish killers who you urge to shoot if you see everyday. A pretty convincing technique to improve the current state of sportfishery in my opinion. ::)

Wazzu questions a valid issue, whether he is trolling or not, if you are unable to engage in the debate without immediately labelling the questioner a flyfishing elitist or PETA supporter, then it maybe wise for you to stay quiet, just like you have been. If you have the knowledge to tap into the issue by discussing the rationality behind the usage of bait and the presence or absence of its harm on fish, then please, continue and explore the issue and persuade those who don't see your views.

the carp

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 07:58:45 PM »

Kudos Rod, well said, in MY OPINION i feel a bait ban is not necessary on a hatchery enhanced system when the fish are put there for retention, lets face it since we started fishing as wee tads when we caught a fish we where all proud to take it home to mom and pop to show our achievments, and have mom cook up our trophy to feed the family. Hatchery fish are for taking, i can remember when the powers that be wanted all hatchery fish taken so they wouldnt spawn with native stocks, we all know that this is not possible, so in my opinion let the bait fly for those who wish, and to those who don't use bait enjoy youre chosen method.

wazzu

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 08:14:52 PM »

lets rember the vedder is most heaveily fished river in canada . if it was not for volunteers like chris an friends of the river we would
be in hole lot of heart. just think what you can,  maybe give glo bugs a chance ,a new challenge.thanks

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 08:50:53 PM »

Wazzu I re-read your post several times and I'm having trouble seeing why exactly it is you wish to have bait banned on the Vedder. You mention that it isn't necessary to catch fish, which I will agree with, however, you're going to have difficulty convincing anyone hear that the Vedder's stock are in any sort of danger (save for the winter springs). I can see banning bait on rivers with no augmentation such as the Thompson where the fish have to travel great distances only to be caught multiple times.
Actions speak louder than words.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 08:58:06 PM »

lets rember the vedder is most heaveily fished river in canada . if it was not for volunteers like chris an friends of the river we would
be in hole lot of heart. just think what you can,  maybe give glo bugs a chance ,a new challenge.thanks

where did you see the vedder is the most heavily fished river in Canada ? I personaly I rarely use bait, but I don't see that banning bait will make a significant differance to catch ratios. most of the fish caught in the vedder are put in the vedder to be caught are they not?. 
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!