Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to this Forum and to Fishing in BC  (Read 4758 times)

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
New to this Forum and to Fishing in BC
« on: February 05, 2006, 07:53:20 PM »

Hi yeall. I found this forum when I was looking around the Internet for fishing information.

I am new to BC fishing and look for some tips on fishing here. Right now I have not the time to explore the big fishing holes and rivers of BC. But would appriciate any advice on casual fishing on the rivers and creeks around the Langley and Abbotsford area. Which are decent places to start looking?

I look forward to met you all here on the forum and learning from you about  fishing in this beautiful province. I am not sure but some of you may know me from the HuntingBC forum.

Thanks for having me here and any advice you can give me.
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: New to this Forum and to Fishing in BC
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 08:46:10 PM »

Welcome huntwriter. :)

I was just looking at your blog and website (nicely done by the way) before, I think Steelhead King (avid hunter in progress ;D ) will be very interested to see what you do. ;D

Regarding fishing between Langley and Abbotsford. Not a whole lot but if you venture to the Chilliwack/Vedder River (as you have noticed in the report section), you might be able to find some good steelhead fishing. Along both the north and south side of the Fraser River, there are many creeks that feed into it. These creeks can be good at times for trout fishing as well. Best to check the regulations for openings. :)

huntwriter

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 09:32:25 PM »

Hey Rodney, thanks for the welcome you gave me here and the comments on my website and blog. The website is been redesigned as we speak and should look soon a lot better.

Yesterday I fished all my gear out to clean it up real good and check it out for wear and tear. Then I drove to the Specialty Shooting Store in Langley to get a fishing licence. My time schedule is quit tight, a half day here and there and so I thought there might be something around my front door to go fishing.

I am really looking forward to enagae in conversation with everybody here. Thanks again. Got to go dinner bell rang, but I'll be back to read some more. ;)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 01:42:28 PM »

As close as you are to 3 million people there is little worth wile-prepare to be underwhelmed by what's on offer and overwhelmed by crowds/garbage/crime.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 01:52:01 PM »

Always so optimistic Sam. ::) I think it's time for you to move up North, lots of room up there. ;D

Looking forward to see the new website huntwriter.

Chilliwack River would probably be your best bet for a quick trip. Consider yourself lucky that you are in Langley, which is only 30 minutes or less to the river. For me, it's 1 hour 15 minutes from West Richmond.

You can also head across the Mission Bridge and fish along some of the tributaries between Mission and Harrison River. The lakes around here will be stocked starting in early March.

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 02:09:51 PM »

Hunterwriter, if you like crowds, and a couple of hundred guys lining the river, then the Vedder is the place for you. Granted there are alot of fish there, but Fishing isn't a competition for me at least, it's more about personal relaxation, and being away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Now all I have to do is find a river that has descent runs, without the heavy crowds.

Welcome to FWR :)

huntwriter

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 06:38:58 PM »

Thank you all for your replays and tips. I did a lot of reading in the artlice section of this website and then some more at home.  My wife who is born here in Langley knew a few lakes and rivers too. Now I just have to out and do a little scouting for the right place and area.

Rodney you do a very good job with this website, tons of information. It's good to see that BC has it's own fishing and also hunting forum it gives us a greater sense of community. Thanks.

huntwriter

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 06:44:25 PM »

As close as you are to 3 million people there is little worth wile-prepare to be underwhelmed by what's on offer and overwhelmed by crowds/garbage/crime.

Sam Salmon - You sound very cheerful today. Or do you sound every day like this? Look at the bright side it only takes you an hours drive and you are out in the country. It could be worse, you could live in Chicago or New York, been there and could tell you a few things about it. :)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 06:46:17 PM »

Don't worry, there are lots of characters on this forum........ :D
Actions speak louder than words.

huntwriter

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 06:52:16 PM »

Don't worry, there are lots of characters on this forum........ :D

Oh, I am not worried, I fit right in then, eh.  ;D ;D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 08:44:42 PM »

Lots of places to fish accross the Fraser take the Albion ferry or Abbotsford/Mission. Some big dollies/trout lurking around if you don't want in on steelhead. Lots of lakes as well, get your map out and start asking. 8)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

rickjames_2

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 10:54:29 PM »

yes the vedder does get quite busy(sigh*) but do not, i repeat DO NOT count it out!!!! it is a wonderful river with great access, lots of good water and TONS of trophy fish. it is very worthwhile to make the trek out to it, which is easier said than done for some, but im happy cause i live less than 5 minutes away, not to rub it in or anything ;D, just get to the river early stake out yer ground and your day will be filled with wonderful fishin...good luck!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 11:38:03 PM »

Huntwriter, where is your shop located???  I'm looking for a new bucher for my games....

huntwriter

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 01:49:58 AM »

Huntwriter, where is your shop located???  I'm looking for a new bucher for my games....

Sorry Steelhead King, I do not have a shop. I work as foreman in a meat processing plant. I have been toying with the idea to set up a shop just for game prosessing but then I thought about it. If I would do that then that would mean no more hunting for me as the shop would be most busy during hunting season. Then there is the small problem of time too. I do so much other stuff such as photography and writing that I simply would not know where to make any more time short of giving up sleeping.

But if you ever should be desperate give me a shout and I'll see what I can do for you. I process my own game - of course - and for a few friends and family.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 02:05:54 AM by huntwriter »

huntwriter

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006, 01:57:32 AM »

yes the vedder does get quite busy(sigh*) but do not, i repeat DO NOT count it out!!!! it is a wonderful river with great access, lots of good water and TONS of trophy fish.
Thanks for the advice rickjames, I never count anything out until I see it for myself ;)
...it is very worthwhile to make the trek out to it, which is easier said than done for some, but im happy cause i live less than 5 minutes away, not to rub it in or anything ;D, just get to the river early stake out yer ground and your day will be filled with wonderful fishin...good luck!
Some people have all the luck in the world. ;)