Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder dec 23rd!  (Read 5900 times)

Floater

• Old Timer
Vedder dec 23rd!
« on: December 23, 2005, 04:42:43 PM »

What a day out today me and big steel hit the vedder for some steel! ill cut right to it no steel caught or seen!. The water levels were up on the high side when we got ot the river at around 7:30ish only about 1 foot visability. We worked the first run with no luck the first few hours , big steal was giving me the 101 on where the fish hold and much more! alot learned today gotta say that. My new centerpin setup had me casting no more then 8 feet today but it was ok i was still covering good holding water that was close to shore. Anyways at the first run after a few hours big steels float takes a dive and he was quick to set the hook. I was super excited for him but it was obvious it was not a steelhead. After a quick fight he landed a nice 4 pound dollie i snaped a few pics and of it went. After that we joined up with Biff and his brother and worked about 2 more runs that didnt produce all i saw was a tomato ho swim past my float. At around 2:15 we decided to pack it in the water had droped around another foot so colour was ok but water was still high. As we left the wack is started to pour buckets again so the river wont be in good shape im pretty sure. Really good day learning alot of new things and making new fishing buddies.
[

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Vedder dec 23rd!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 04:53:34 PM »

thx for the report....you missed a good day at the chehalis
weeeeeeeeeow!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 05:02:22 PM »

Care to elaborate  ???
Actions speak louder than words.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 05:15:28 PM »

good report. what kinda of pin did you get?

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 05:29:59 PM »

Well, it was nice to meet you Floater and Biff!! ;)  Pity that we couldn't hook into some Steelies though!!  Btw, Floater you do show some potential for a steelheader, you just have to learn how to cast!!! ;D ;D  But, more time on the river and perhaps in a field, and you will get better pretty quick!!
Also, don't loose the faith, it only takes one cast to get that Steelie.  You might have to make a million casts before that one cast, but.....
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 05:58:35 PM »

Yes, just remember after every cast you make you are one cast closer to your next steelhead.

This held true a few years ago when Lew was fishing one side of the river, me on the other near Peach Road. Lew who is a very experienced angler was having a tough year hooking a steelhead like we all do at times. Anyway we were chatting back and forth with Lew telling me of his lack of fish. I said "donot worry as every casts puts you closer to your next fish".

A half dozen casts or so later, just before dark and the end of the day Lew was into a good sized steelhead that turned out to be a nice hatchery fish. So when things are going bad just tell yourself I am now one cast closer to that silver bullet. ;D

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 06:38:34 PM »

Islander steelheader
Actions speak louder than words.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 07:03:17 PM »

Nice, great to be out. How was the traffic back though?

Nice just Big-steel.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 09:06:07 PM »

Nice :o That's the reel I'm saving for.
Yah i love it it spins like a dream just a little push and it spins for hours! ;D Just hard to cast for now and dont even wana think about how im gona handle the first fish on it. :P
[

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 09:38:59 PM »

I remember when I first got my bait caster.. the only thing in my mind was this.. omg what a piece of crap! i spent 300 dollars on this new rod and i can't even cast. but now I'm used to it and I love it :) never tried a center pin yet.. I will some day :P

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 09:43:52 PM »

A tropy XL 12-17 pound rating , medium fast action it has a good arc on it even on a light pull i found out by snagging some rocks today :P so should be a dream to play a steelhead on it.
[

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 09:47:39 PM »

"I found out by (im thinking a fish) snagging some rocks" hahahaha this made me laugh out loud :P

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 09:58:36 PM »

hahh thats so funny hahah heh
crab cakes

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2005, 09:59:05 PM »

are you mocking me?  >:( I just have a different sense of mind ::)  :P

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2005, 10:03:27 PM »

Back to the topic boys!!! ::) Anyone know if it is still raining out there??  Thinking of going back out tomorrow!!  Maybe a steely this time, but that dollie was nice!! ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!