Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: more vedder breakins!  (Read 11270 times)

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: more vedder breakins!
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 08:51:20 PM »

Though it wont make a difference, I was parked near the confluence of the vedder and the sumas..i think thats what it is.. off of yale Rd (west?) near the pumphouse past the sawmill.  Not really a secret spot.  Its such a drag, I dont think im going to fish that area at all anymore, I did everything possible besides leave my door open to avoid having some jerk break in.  It really doesnt make a difference if the police know or not, they are powerless to do anything about it.  Even if they catch the idiots who do it, they wont be sent to jail, and there are more jerks waiting to take their place when theyre gone.  Its a byproduct of living near junkies, period.  You just have to fish somewhere that they arent able to access, i guess.  Today I fished browne lake with my dad, left the truck and camper unlocked ( since the moose and deer we saw cant open doors anyways :D)  Also caught six nice rainbows, biggest one was about 18".  Tomorrow, White Lake near salmon arm ....kinda takes the sting out of the breakin experience.

mark

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 09:48:46 PM »

Dragon have you caught any sea gulls lately? LOL. I was there last year when you caught that one at wilson rd.

d_w

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 10:17:54 PM »

Neighbours Van was stolen last sunday upstream from KWB on the dike. my spare flyrod and shoes where also in the van too, rod was couvered up. found the van in whalley lisence plates where gone along with the insurance papers >:(
Fishing Is life the rest Is just details

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005, 10:48:22 PM »

Chances are these guys dont fish.... That means they probably dont go on this web site either... so here is my idea....

One day designate it to be the FWR crime prevention week.... Bring your gear and binoculars.... We all get out of our cars and walk like we are going to fish.... Stop go behind a tree... Watch the vehicles .. If you find them..... well you can decide what to do with them...

;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 10:53:12 PM by Rodney »
see ya on the river

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 10:56:08 PM »

One day designate it to be the FWR crime prevention week....

Any crime prevention activities are to be sanctioned and conducted under RCMP's supervision, not by a commercial website like this.

marmot, report it. The Chilliwack RCMP does recognize a growing problem of auto crime along the Vedder River. Talks will take place with interest groups and the wheels will start moving. The Chilliwack RCMP can only get a good overview of the problem if people file their reports when these incidents take place.

This is a problem that requires the cooperation of all interest groups and the authority. The angling group should not stand alone and let things be or take actions on their own.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2005, 11:00:42 PM »

I spoke with the police when my truck got broken into laidlaw... the response i got was contact ICBC.....

That sounds like the furthest from the motto of To Serve and Protect...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 11:07:11 PM by jettabambino »
see ya on the river

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2005, 11:03:29 PM »

So a report wasn't filed by the dispatcher?

On a positive note, these reports on here are usually forwarded to those who are in charge in the area.

The website does work closely with local RCMP and DFO offices. You are making a difference.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2005, 11:05:34 PM »

I didnt speak with a dispatcher... Oddly enought i got pulled over on the way home in Burnaby because a cop pulled up to me and saw my door lock punched out..
see ya on the river

redside1

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2005, 07:28:14 AM »

I had my vehicle broken into on the vedder a few years ago and have never been back. Fishing there is just not worth the cost.

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2005, 08:44:01 AM »

To reinforce what Rodney has said, and it has been said many times before on this site, report any incident or even suspicious activity or characters hanging around by phoning the RCMP at 792-4611 and asking for "Dispatch." That way the incident at least becomes a statistic. A group of us local old people are going to sit down and discuss this growing problem and attempt to find a solution. If we all cooperate and look after each other this "little problem" can be solved.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2005, 08:44:27 AM »

It takes two seconds for me to report it to the RCMP and thats the amount of attention they will give it in response.  I used to be optimistic about this type of thing, but when your home has been broken into at least three times, and your auto at least a dozen, you learn what makes a difference and what doesnt. 

In reality :

1. The police do not have the manpower to patrol the vedder for auto breakins.
2.  None of these dirtbags will receive a sentence long enough to stop the problem from happening even if they are caught.
3.  Drug addicts steal from cars, and steal cars, parked in close proximity to the RCMP/ICBC offices on 5th and cambie.  A coworkers truck was stolen from there, and broken glass is on the ground at least once every couple of weeks.  Police in that area dont seem to make a difference.
4.  Nobody cares unless it happens to them, and as long as people keep leaving crap in their cars its gonna keep happening, because it sets a precedent for the criminals. 

I dont think the RCMP can do anything about stopping theft unless our government realizes our current policies for dealing with drugs and crime in general is a joke.  Its far deeper than just that.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2005, 09:50:25 AM »

1. Even if the police have the manpower it's the attitude some of them take that will never improve the safety.
A few years back we had a break in at home. Police came, our key holder ask the police aren't they going to check inside.
Guess what those two policemen said? "No we won't, what if they are armed and still hiding inside?"
That really steamed our keyholder. So you being the police won't check out the house, if there is armed robber you want the
home owner to come home and get hurt?!? Well those two just struggd and took off.
When we got home our keyholder told us this incident in disbelieve. Himself, a retired captain, couldn't believe how the new
generation police has degraded. It makes him sick to know some of those policemen is just there for the salary.

2. Robbery is not a serious offense in the eyes of the court. Even caught, not much punishment is handed out. So why waste the
time to catch them?

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2005, 11:55:25 AM »

Totally agree! Even with those bait cars, when people get caught, barely anything happens to them and i'm sure they continue to do it. .and learn from their "mistakes" next time they will know its a bait car

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2005, 11:56:15 AM »

marmot, if that was the same vision people used to tackle the garbage problem on the Vedder three years ago, the river cleanup coalition would never have been formed, the river adoption program wouldn't exist, and the river would still be just as dirty if not dirtier.

Let's look at the options here:
  • Put our hands in the air and give up simply because the laws won't do anything. Stop fishing the Vedder River or fish it less in the future.
  • Report every single crimes in, brainstorm ideas, work with local authority and pressure the City of Chilliwack so those who in charge can appreciate the negative impacts on this issue. MAYBE then solutions can be developed to make things better gradually.

We're not asking people to perform magic here. We're telling you to phone in, file a report, but don't expect the car break-in issue to be resolved overnight because of that. With your help from this end, Terry and others will work from the other end by developing solutions with the City to see an eventual end of this.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2005, 08:50:11 PM »

Rodney I think your appraisal of the situation is askew.  A river clean up operation is one thing...there is a visible, tangible problem and a readily available solution, with existing means for dealing with that solution.

We DO NOT have the means for dealing with the existing problem, all we have are quick fix solutions from our justice system, which dont work. Nevermind that the problem itself is drug abuse and the measures that junkies will go to get some change for a fix...(which is beyond the scope of "brainstorming with the municipality and RCMP".... Im NOT advocating "throw your hands in the air", I'm simply saying that notifying the RCMP wont do a damn thing. 
I cant remember who posted it, but the best solution I have seen yet would be to organize a park'n'ride, where a shuttle would take you to the river for a charge, and you could securely park your car.  If the city would subsidize it, it could be a lucrative operation during fishing season for the operator, and people would not need to worry about the security of their cars.  Again this has nothing to do with RCMP involvement.

If you want to see what RCMP involvement does in cases like this , you can look to french beach on vancovuer island, or any other "high breakin area....they just put up a sign....basically..."if you park here, lock your doors"...and even THAT is stupid because then instead of them opening your door they either smash your window or break your lock....Beaurocracy at its best! 

You shouldnt compare the two problems Rodney, its really apples and oranges....we're dealing with something much more dynamic and less manageable than trash here.  I know the intention is good, beleive me, but I beleive there are better solutions than those derived from our legal system.