Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishers Fined For 1999 Infractions  (Read 1889 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Fishers Fined For 1999 Infractions
« on: October 16, 2005, 12:11:04 PM »

Incase you did not see it in Friday's Vancouver Sun I read a number of Cheam F/N band members were fined anywhere from $100 to $1,100.

These fines were for "charges related to illegal fishing and illegal possesion of salmon in a high-profile and physical confrontation with federal fisheries department following a closure intenteded to protect stocks in 1999" the newspaper article stated.

The point that I like to make and not commenting on the amount of fines etc. but the fact it took 6 years for these cases to be completed. What is with our court systems for this to take so long and I imagine the costs of this over the 6 years would be huge. ::)

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
Re: Fishers Fined For 1999 Infractions
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 03:28:01 PM »

hey chris. i used to work for the attorney general ministry back in 2000. the time the charges are actually presented in court and the time the accused are given a defense(from taxpayers expense as well) it can take almost 2 years on federal charges and cost well over a $200,000 in lawyer fees in the first 2 years and still not even get any evidence being looked at .The court will adjourn each sitting to the next available date and that costs all taxpayers dearly each time. the court system in itself is a billion dollar industry in canada. ALL THIS FOR A SLAP ON THE WRIST FOR BEING A BAD BOY.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Fishers Fined For 1999 Infractions
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 10:29:49 PM »

Thanks for your info.