Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to save a seagull with hook, line and rod. A true rescue  (Read 4125 times)

norm_2

How to save a seagull with hook, line and rod. A true rescue
« on: October 14, 2005, 07:50:18 PM »

“You don’t like seagulls, eh?” was the greeting I got from a fellow fisherman today.  He told me someone saw and heard me being disrespectful to a seagull struggling for its life.  THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FALSE!  NOTHING IS FARTHER FROM THE TRUTH!  THE TRUTH IS I SAVED THE SEAGULL!

For the record, here is what happened.  On Sunday October 9th, I was fishing the Tamahi area.  I heard shouting upstream.  I saw a bird struggling for its life in midstream in the current behind a rock.  I walked upstream to see a seagull caught on some line and float.  Two fishermen, one on each side of the river, tried to cast to catch the snagged line.  Both gave up.  When I got there I could see the bird with line and a green float around it and it was biting at the float trying to free itself.  I saw the bird regularly go under and knew it would not last long.  I only had 10lb leader and knew it was too light but I wanted to help the bird which was struggling so valiantly.  I cast, caught the snagged line, pulled, and broke my leader.  As I tied on my strongest line , 15lb, another fisherman came downstream.  On the first cast, I caught the line and surprisingly pulled the snag free.  The bird floated downstream with my line still attached.  I told the guy on the rock to pull my line in because I just couldn’t reel it in the strong current.  The bird got closer and I asked him to let go, but my line came off.  The bird floated downstream and fortunately to my side.  I ran downstream and pulled the bird to shore.  The bird bit me as I tried but was unable to cut the line.  Frank (thanks again Fred), a guy I was just talking to came to help.  He held the bird’s head with a bag while I cut all the line.  We freed the bird, it had some damage to a wing but it walked and later swam in the water.  FRANK SAID I HAD DONE MY GOOD DEED FOR THE DAY.  THE GUY ON THE ROCK GAVE ME A THUMB’S UP AS I WALKED BY.

I write the above for two reasons.  First, false things are being said about me.  I have at least 2 witnesses who saw the above.  Second, it is possible to do this to save some wildlife so keep this in mind.

No_way

Re: How to save a seagull with hook, line and rod. A true rescue
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 07:56:45 PM »

Good work!

Personally I like seagulls.  The only time I don't like them is when I'm fishing at the park and a nun from a mission comes down and throws 60lbs of old bread into the ocean every day.  It's like a scene from a Hitchcock movie, but I forget which one  ;)

FishinDawg

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 01:52:11 AM »

i could have swore that for a second i thought i was the bird. nice job on saving the poor guys life.

phatwop

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 10:25:08 AM »

nice going! the 'feel good" story of the week.  :)

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 10:30:01 AM »

so how was it you cooked that bird?

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 11:34:46 AM »

Good work Norm  :)
Actions speak louder than words.

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 11:46:25 PM »

I swear i saw that bird yesterday... the wing was broken and dangling.. it couldnt fly and went into the water and floated downstream..I left it alone as it was probaby scared for its life not that im scary lookin.. lol ;D
DaN

Green Horn

• beat the water..til the fish crawl out to ya!!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 05:57:36 AM »

They say them sea-gals taste like chicken!

any how....wtg....I might not like cats..but I would not stand by and watch one die if I could help!

BOB
The Green Horn

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 04:31:34 PM »

a few years back in parksville a baby seal was stranded as the tide was going out, it was reeealy hot out and it was just cooking in the sun, so we layed a wet towel in front of it and got it to move forward onto the towel and take him out to the water (which is REALLY far away in parksville). The thing is , almost everyone that walked by gave us dirty looks when they asked what we were doing.  Didnt matter though, we got him to his mum who was waiting in the surf.
nice to see that people would do the same for the "lowly" sh**hawk :)