Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clarity: Rules and Regs  (Read 6657 times)

Nostro

Clarity: Rules and Regs
« on: October 13, 2005, 10:31:08 AM »

It should never be said that old dogs  ;D ::) can't learn new tricks, because I did. Gooey's post earlier this week sent me to re-read the rec-fishing regulations and I don't know if I had forgotten or these are newly clarified regulations, but it was interesting to read, and hopefully, you guys and gals will learn something new from this as well, as I did.
Here it is (bold emphasis added by Nostro):

It is illegal to:
- sport fish for finfish and/or shellfish without a licence.   
·fish for salmon, including cutthroat trout and steelhead, with a barbed hook.
·fail to record immediately, on your licence, in ink, any chinook salmon retained. 
·fail to record immediately, on your licence, in ink, any lingcod retained, where required.
·catch and retain salmon if your licence does not have a valid salmon conservation stamp attached to it. 
·fish with a fixed weight (sinker) greater than one kg except on a downrigger line, in which case the fishing line must be attached to the downrigger by means of an automatic release clip. The clip must free the fishing line from the downrigger line when the fish takes the lure, allowing the fish to be retrieved by rod and reel or separate handline.   
·willfully foul hook or attempt to foul hook any fish other than herring, northern anchovy, Pacific sand lance and squid. To avoid foul hooking (snagging) fish, anglers should aim to induce the fish to take the hook in its mouth.
·use a set line — a fishing line left unattended in the water. 
·use, on a line, gear designed to catch more than one fish at a time (except when fishing for herring, northern anchovy or Pacific sardine, or in the tidal portion of the Fraser River).
·possess, except at place of ordinary residence, any fish caught while sport fishing that is dressed or packed so that the fish cannot be easily identified, counted or measured — see Packaging Your Catch.
·engage in field canning of any species. 
·buy, sell, barter or attempt to buy, sell or barter any fish caught by sport fishing. 
·use stones, clubs, firearms, explosives or chemicals to molest, injure or kill fish. 
·trap or pen fish on their spawning ground, or in rivers or streams leading to spawning grounds. 
·use a net of any kind while fishing for finfish, except:
a) a dip net may be used when fishing for herring, eulachon, northern anchovy, Pacific sand lance, smelt or sardines;
b) a dip net may be used when landing a fish caught by angling;
c) one gillnet or set net may be used when fishing for eulachon or smelts, provided the mesh size is greater than 25 mm but less than 50 mm, and the length is less than 7.5 m; a floating buoy clearly marked with the name of the owner must be attached to each end of the net;d) a cast net is permitted when fishing for herring, northern anchovy or Pacific sand lance.   
·use gaff hooks in angling except as an aid to landing a fish caught on a legal line or rod and reel.   
·use torches or artificial lights while sport fishing, except when they are submerged and attached to a fishing line, within one metre of the fishing hook. 
·use spears to fish for salmon, trout, char, sturgeon and shellfish, except shrimp. 
·sportfish for salmon and trout, except by angling. 
·tend another recreational fisher’s gear without possessing a licence yourself. 
·dig, catch and retain or possess clams or oysters from a contaminated area.
·use any mechanical apparatus or dredge for harvesting clams. 

Penalties for contravention of the British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations include voluntary ticket payments up to $1,000 and possible seizure and forfeiture of fishing gear and catch, or court-imposed fines up to $100,000 on first offence and possible court-imposed forfeiture of fishing gear, catch, vessel or other equipment used in the commission of an offence. Licences may also be suspended or cancelled.

Never look a fish in the eye.

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: Clarity: Rules and Regs
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 04:11:22 PM »

What if you dont have a pen on you to record a chinook? ::)
[

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 04:29:05 PM »

What if you dont have a pen on you to record a chinook? ::)

Then you're going to have to release it.  Rules.  Simple.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 04:46:32 PM »

Some rules are so silly.
[

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 04:49:51 PM »

I dunno, makes sense for me. For example, there are certain systems where you are allowed a limited number of fish per year. If you didn't have to card your fish it would be pretty easy to double dip. Not everbody is honnest, rules like this are created to keep these people in check.
Actions speak louder than words.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 04:54:51 PM »

Floater, this thread is a good reminder for you to put that pen in your fishing vest/jacket, now! :)

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 05:42:27 PM »

Its also a reminder that no one trusts anyone in the world. ::) Another disturbing thing is if never ever seen anyone mark down that they got a chinook on the vedder. Maybe they should give out free pens attached to the license.
[

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 06:00:24 PM »

Floater, it's not so much about trust, but a set of rules is needed to ensure the system works.

Would you like one of the limited edition of FWR pen? ;)

winter steel

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 06:47:11 PM »

The pen issue was solved back east I believe where lock tags were used when you killed an Atlantic. The tag had to be applied as soon as the fish was killed and could not be taken off or re-used. Each angler was given his supply of tags for the year when he/she purchased their license and supplemental stamps. I'm not sure of anymore particulars, other thanI believe seriel numbers were used to be able to identify tags with fishermen so as to curtail giving tags away. Anyway, I thought it was a neat system and may have some merrit here as the tags were a bright yellow/orange and very visible to ensure fish were marked/tagged. Food for thought, tight lines.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 07:24:13 PM »

I remember a red zap strap type of chinook tag we used in cow bay to mark our springs...wonder what happened to that program?

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 08:02:32 PM »

Floater, it's not so much about trust, but a set of rules is needed to ensure the system works.

Would you like one of the limited edition of FWR pen? ;)
Yes i would.
[

FishiN AddicT

• WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 08:28:05 PM »

The pen issue was solved back east I believe where lock tags were used when you killed an Atlantic. The tag had to be applied as soon as the fish was killed and could not be taken off or re-used. Each angler was given his supply of tags for the year when he/she purchased their license and supplemental stamps. I'm not sure of anymore particulars, other thanI believe seriel numbers were used to be able to identify tags with fishermen so as to curtail giving tags away. Anyway, I thought it was a neat system and may have some merrit here as the tags were a bright yellow/orange and very visible to ensure fish were marked/tagged. Food for thought, tight lines.
I remember a red zap strap type of chinook tag we used in cow bay to mark our springs...wonder what happened to that program?

Sounds good, but how is the date/body of water/region recorded?  what happens if you lose your tags?  Seems like a costly program  ???  I don't believe having a pen at all times should be a big issue.  We use it in our everyday life (work, home, school, businesses, etc.)  Keep a couple in your vest, jacket, backpack, car.......whatever gear you always bring with you and there shouldn't be any problems having access to it   ;)

No_way

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 08:41:12 PM »

Sounds good, but how is the date/body of water/region recorded?  what happens if you lose your tags?  Seems like a costly program  ???  I don't believe having a pen at all times should be a big issue.  We use it in our everyday life (work, home, school, businesses, etc.)  Keep a couple in your vest, jacket, backpack, car.......whatever gear you always bring with you and there shouldn't be any problems having access to it   ;)

I remember here that we used to have (for one season I think) plastic tags for springs.  10 years ago? Like not worth the money.  The same level of honesty is required on the part of the angler, and you get more info when its logged on the license.

Straight Runner

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 08:54:45 PM »

What if you dont have a pen on you to record a chinook?

You could use blood and a hook point like a pen. You dont have to prick your own finger. Just use a little fish blood.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 03:38:45 AM »

Wow blood letter?!? Just keep a pen in tackle box.