Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River: Oct.8th  (Read 4350 times)

mark

Vedder River: Oct.8th
« on: October 08, 2005, 01:46:12 PM »

Well went up river today and caught a nice 25lbs spring, but released it so it could go find a good looking buck. I was also surprized, a little time after I caught the spring yeehaa fish on and the guy up from me said it was a nice coho jack, but it was a cutthroat trout about 15 inches and really shinny :o. I didn't realize that cutties went so far up the chilliwack river. :o

JoeW

Perfect Day on the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 04:26:51 PM »

Up at 5am.
Picked up the fishing buds at 6 in Langley and pulled into the parking area on the river a few minutes before 7.
Uh-oh!!!
Parking area already getting fullish.
Hiked down the river to a favorite spot.
Some people but not too crowded.
Action was pretty slow for the first while. Tried some different patterns, depths, etc.
Then at about 9 it started. The bites themselves were very subtle. You could hardly feel it.
Then almost continuous hits for an hour and a half. Double headers, etc.
Beautiful big springs-clean and full of spunk. Many hard fought battles.
Simply put, it doesn't get any better than that.
Mainly springs caught. Saw only one coho taken on the 1/2 mile walk back to the car.
And to top it off-the weather was perfect.

To the power above-thank you for a perfect day on the vedder!!!

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Vedder River: Oct.8th
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 04:27:12 PM »

Fished the lower portion of the river and was rewarded with 2 hatchery coho, also let 1 wild go and a ton of monster springers ;)
I love small colorado blades.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 04:51:27 PM »

So normally I do not fish the Vedder on the weekend, because I want others to catch fish....

;D

<shrinks head>

Well, normally I avoid it as the likelihood of getting the piece of water you preferred is smaller. This morning I went anyways, as I had to pick up more Help Habitat fundraising tickets. :) I thought I would combine the mission with some fishing, socializing with some friends and a good lunch at Cookies. ;D

After some kidding around on the other forum for awhile ;D , I left the driveway at 4:45am. At 5:50am, I pulled into Timmy's at Whatcom Road and fishersak was standing outside of Reaction Fly and Tackle like a little kid longing for Christmas. ;D A quick grab of a double double, and off we went. As I approached No. 3 Road exit, I gave Trout Slayer and April a ring to see where they were. I thought they would be sitting on the river bank by then, but apparently TS had just arrived in Surrey to pick up his fishing companion. ::) Too bad, missing the first light bite is a tough one to swallow. ;D

Fishersak and I arrived at our parking area and found ourselves the first ones there. I was excited, as I thought others would have been there already. We quickly geared up and hiked into the run. I showed him the section where the coho would be sitting in and we waited for the sky to get bright enough.

Once the lighting was good, I proceeded to cast that big chunk of chum roe into the tailout. The water level was just perfect. The clarity was fantastic, couldn't be any better. I was excited while anticipating for that first burial of the Drennan Zeppler. After numerous casts, the float tip remained dry. ::)

Buck and his friend then showed up and decided to fish just above us. Right away buck showed his skills by getting into a couple of spring jacks. At the same time, my Drennan Zeppler began to dive during a few drifts! A couple of times the float flew straight over my head, luckily it did not crack on the rocks. I managed to nailed two of the strikes, but both quickly came off after a few seconds of kicks. >:( A few more misses and it was quiet once again.

Trout Slayer and April then emerged from the bush after phoning me for direction in the trails. ;D I sat back and decided to take a break with buck, and let the newcomers to give it a go.

Spudcote and his dad then showed up! This was turning into a fish-in. ;D Poor Spudcote's dad was dragged along by his son after he decided to do this so-called relaxing fishing trip. ;D They must have walked for an hour to reach us. ;D They reported no fish as well.

Fishersak and I decided to move to a new location. I wanted to give the faster water a try again and see if I could find some fish. We walked and walked, casted and casted, with nothing to show for another two hours.

By then I had given up, and I was longing for the turkey dinner at Cookies Chris mentioned last night. ;) We decided to head back to pick up tickets from Dave Lamson first. I now have 30 more tickets if anyone wants them. :)

After that it was Cookies time. April, Trout Slayer, fishersak, Chris and I spent a couple of hours pigging out since the fishing was slow. I walked into the restaurant, sat down, looked up and who did I see? Last Cast was sitting right in front of me enjoying his meal with his son. They are out there right now until Monday, hopefully with some coho to show. :)

That's it, a pretty slow day, but I must say it was very enjoyable nevertheless. The turkey dinner filled me right up, I sat in Cookies for another hour after TS and April left. :-[

I would like to conclude this report by saying, we got skunked. ;)

Few things to remember
  • You need a freshwater fishing licence when fishing the Chilliwack River.
  • You need to purchase a salmon conservation stamp if you intend to keep your salmon.
  • Daily quota for pink salmon is four fish below the Vedder Crossing in Chilliwack River.
  • Daily quota for hatchery coho salmon is four fish in Chilliwack River. Hatchery coho salmon have no adipose fin.
  • Daily quota for chum salmon is one fish in Chilliwack River.
  • Daily quota for chinook salmon is four fish in Chilliwack River, but only one maybe over 62cm.
  • You may only keep four salmon (mixed species) in total per day.
  • Only a single barbless hook is allowed.
  • You must release any sockeye and wild coho carefully.
  • Pink salmon have large oval spots on their back and tail. Sockeye salmon do not have spots. Chinook salmon have tiny black spots on its back and tail. Coho salmon have tiny black spots on its back and upper tail, and white gum.
  • Please note that some sockeye salmon in the Chilliwack River also do not have an adipose fin.
  • Complete Chilliwack River salmon regulations can be found on this page.
  • Please phone DFO Chilliwack 604-702-2278 if you observe a violation.
  • Make sure you have a good fillet knife to clean your catch and a cooler with ice to keep your it fresh.
[/size]

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 05:07:57 PM »

What, he said he wanted to go  8)
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 05:59:33 PM »

Hey rodney join the skunked club! this was by far the worst day on the vedder i have ever had in my life. Got there at 7pm decided i would park at peach and walk down till i found spot with minimal or no crowed at all. LOL! yah right i have never seen so many anglers on the river in my life the river was taken from both sides with a straight line of fishermen from peach to the gravel road parking!. So i i wasted about 1 hour just fidning spot to fish what a freaking day. Found a nice run that was deep and gave it a go for about 30 mins nothign then i tried the tailout NOTHING! it must be the freaking new drennen float :P. As i was working a slow and deep run where all the fish of the day had to past getting nothing some guy just up the run in the fastest water somehow manages to hook a nice size hatchery doe i was so jelouse. So i moved down river more and repeated the proccess. Pool , run tail out and all i got was a freaking ROTTEN!!!!! chum that decided to take the roe. Seeing the vedder with so many anglers and finding it hard to find a spot of my own after walkign for about 1 hour is kinda putting me off this coho fishing. Next week might not be so busy since its not a long weekend ill give it one more chance but if that first dosent show up im done with fishing for life!!!!!! 8) i wish. ::)

Excuse the redicoulus errors i couldent sleep all night thinking this could of been the trip i get the first coho this year and im about to pass out.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 06:01:59 PM by Floater »
[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 06:07:08 PM »

Even though I did not get out to day it was good to dine at Cookies with Rodney, fishersak, April, and Trout Slayer and hear of their morning fishing trip. Also was pleased to meet Last Cast and his son there, hope they had some luck this afternoon.  Cookies is now turning into a FWR dinning site ;D and of the course the food is so good there as the above will attest to I am sure. A great place for a pre game meal before the Leaf game this evening.

Also TS was very happy to get his Riverside Tackle Balsa float I rescued from the log jam last week.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 06:07:26 PM »

Sorry to hear that you got skunked for the second time in a row Rod  :o :o That's got to hurt ;D ;D.  Well I just got back from the river as well.  Don't have much more to report than Rod, except I saw two hatchery coho caught first light on spoons!!!!!!  Then a bunch of people hand Springs on by about 7:30.  I hadn't had a sniff!!!!!!  Just as I was thinking that I haven't had a sniff yet, my floats rockets under!!!!!  But hard!!!!!  I set the hook and almost have the pole ripped out of my hands, the 30-40 min battle ensued.  Did I mention that I was only using 8lb test!!  I guess that you might be wondering who won the battle, for once I did.  A very clean 40lb buck spring.  He hammered some coho roe that I decided to try, also brought pink roe but couldn't get any hook-ups with it!!   I will more than likely post pics tomorrow, had to get home and get ready for the canuck game!!!!  Besides I can't figure out how to get the damn pics off my camera yet without getting a picture cd!!!!  Anyhow, for the rest of the day I moved around a lot, landed a couple more big fresh dogs, lost a couple more springs but didn't get any ho's.  Infact only heard of three all day.  Starting to make me wonder a bit!!! :P :P
 But still a fun day nonetheless!!!! ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 06:11:15 PM »

Note from Spud's Dad:

"Yomping for miles is not my idea of a fun day our.  I would have been quite happy sitting in a boat at the Harrison, in a much more relaxed frame of mind, and from the state of play today, with an increased chance of actually getting something.  Anyhow, it is good to see that Spud's fishing buddies actually exist; the things us sad parents do to spend time with our offspring - the only springs I saw today!!." 
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005, 08:45:12 PM »

Yup, I had pretty much the same day as everyone else.  I couldn't have ordered a more perfect day for coho fishing, conditions wise.  We fished a lot of nice water today...and I was very surprised that none of us landed any coho.  Managed to hook up one fish, but it came off after one jump, not really sure what it was.  High light of the day was the BIG plate I had at Cookies.  I will need to fast now to prepare room for the turkey.  We had some good food, and some good conversation that ended the day nicely for me.  Thanks to Chris, Aaron, April, and Rod for that!

Oh, Spud's Dad, as for being a "sad parent", I get to work with a lot of young people and having met your son I can say that you have done an admirable job.  Keep up the good work ;D
It was so nice to see Last Cast and his son out there also.

buck

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 08:46:33 PM »

Chris, where is cookies located ? I should get out a little more.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 08:51:51 PM »

Buck, the direction to Cookies is on this page:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=8294.0

Did you fall asleep at the keyboard, so many enters? I just fell asleep on the floor three times in the last couple of hours... :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2005, 09:05:10 PM »

Buck, the direction to Cookies is on this page:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=8294.0

Did you fall asleep at the keyboard, so many enters? I just fell asleep on the floor three times in the last couple of hours... :-[
Thats what happens when you order the extra large turkey dinner. ;D ;D I believe this special is on for all of October so buck will have an opportunity to check it out also.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2005, 09:09:34 PM »

Thats what happens when you order the extra large turkey dinner. ;D ;D I believe this special is on for all of October so buck will have an opportunity to check it out also.

Rodney is bulking up. He doesn't want sand kicked in this face.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2005, 09:12:31 PM »

:-[

FA, why did you have to spoil the surprise for Nina? ;D

I'm simply warming up for the giant lunch meal at the Help Habitat Fundraiser in two weeks from now. ;)