- 8 (25%)
60-75% of the time
- 3 (9.4%)
50%of the time
- 0 (0%)
50% or less
- 5 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Coho season  (Read 5176 times)

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Coho season
« on: September 22, 2005, 10:07:46 PM »

well the reason for this is that my friends (being an avid coho fishermen) think that 10% of coho actually hit. and he thinks this for all salmon in the river systems. but i thinik not and i would just like to see what other people think of this statement. :) i think that 100% of the time they hit. other then 2-3 foul hookes i get a year

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
Re: Coho season
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 10:10:20 PM »

If you have roe attached to your hook, they will hammer it. I have seen them chase after a piece of roe and take it.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 10:40:19 PM »

Well in recent memory. Just last week, I was drifting a pice of roe and a beautiful hatchery coho slammed it.  He had the hook right down his throat.  Scared me there for a second. ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 10:43:33 PM »

HAHAHAHAHA funny

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 10:46:39 PM »

last year they hammered peach wool :o every 5 casts ::) ::) ::)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 08:40:19 AM »

Those who run long leaders, fish deep, and sweep the drift will floss fish - INSTEAD of getting them to bite. 

Cohokid, it really depends on how you fish.  One thing I can gaurantee you is that I have seen coho chase bait and hardware...I know they bite.  Maybe your friend need to shorten up a bit?

Every year bug pumper, winter steel and I all get a handful of coho caught on the retrieve!  If you hit the right bump of fishwith a tide or rising water,  it happens.

BP and I had a great cap trip maybe 8+ weeks ago...15 or so fish in 40 minutes.  This was in the cable pool so we could see the fish come up from behind and grab the roe on the retrieve.  In fact we intentionally revieved slow thru the tail out just to try and raise a fish!  That tactic works well with ghost shrimp too.

Bottom line is coho will attack a properly presented lure or bait.

meca_357

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 11:02:30 AM »

I have never ever snagged  a coho.. chum springs pinks yes but a coho never....they are agressive fish that will actually bite. springs are thick so they sometimes run into hooks, chums are just all over the place lol as well as pinks plus their huge hump doesnt help..

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 11:29:18 AM »

coho do bite. i've seen it, but when your on the vedder targeting coho, your hooks all ways bump into chum or springs, so i dont think the springs and chum bite ...but for sure the coho ;D

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 11:37:22 AM »

I take all my coho on hardware fished just under the surface in 4-6 foot deep pools. When the rivers stainded a bit and its early they will smash stuff on the surface. Ive had them rocket straight up and hit my lure and clear the water.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 01:18:58 PM »

don't kid yourself. springs definitely bite. i've had numerous springs hit colorado blades on the retrieve, in clear water you can see them chase it before hitting, it's effin cool! they also hit roe!

I've done the same thing using wool. Fresh fish= super agrressive. Steelhead are also quite notorious for this. I can remember one day when I had 3 different fish chase a jenson egg within inches of shore.
Actions speak louder than words.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 07:19:49 PM »

I find this to be a question of how you fish, of course coho bite.  All salmon do, even the stingy sockeye will once in a while. If you are drifting roe or wool ( not dredging the bottom) or blades or pulling a fly, all you coho will be biters.  ( or you won't get any...) if you fish too deep you will floss fish or snag them, and get some biters too.  It depends on what kind of fisher you want to be.
Fish on!