Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: schallapan VS saddle hackle  (Read 2607 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
schallapan VS saddle hackle
« on: September 21, 2005, 10:23:45 AM »

I am getting ready to tie up my fall selection of coho and steelhead jigs and I am noticing more and more talk about schallapan being used in these lures.

Anyone out there no the difference between schallapan and saddle hackle?  What are te pros and cons of each material.

Any insite would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Gooey

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: schallapan VS saddle hackle
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 01:01:54 PM »

Schlappen has better movement in the water

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 06:12:17 PM »

I always what to know how u tie your own jigs?? can u show some pics plz.

DaN

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 07:15:24 AM »

I'll be tieing some up soon...I  just might post a pick or 2.  They really dont look that impressive, but they work really well.

I basically just copied the shape and format of jigs from the retail stores and played around with my own colors, added a hackle here, some dubbing there....there is really no end to what you can create.  My favourite ones are made with a marabou tail, chenile body, and palmered hackle.

I bought some powdered paint so I think that will really help complete the jig instead of just a plain lead head...its gunna be the icing on the cake! 

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 07:19:28 AM »

that sounds neat, i made some this year for the pinks with rabit strip.  Do you use these under a float.  How heavy are the jigs? 
weeeeeeeeeow!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 10:16:22 AM »

I usually spin cast them...I intend to float them a lot more this year.

I have 2 molds that cast jigs for 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 oz...I am not fure size really matters, I am still experimenting withthe various weights...infact the light jgs that dont sink like rocks often work the best.

Rabbit is also a material I am just getting familiar with too...has a great action.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 01:32:27 PM »

I'm going to have to bring a ladder to the river to collect all the ones you loose to tree's  :D
Actions speak louder than words.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 08:47:32 AM »

I just talked with a new hook supplier and I have found a circle jig hook!!!  On a previous thread there was talk of circle hooks being great for bottom bouncing: they hold fish but wont create any body snags.  So when I saw a circle hook with a 90degree bend in it, I became very excited.

Once the chum hit the rivers, these pools I love to fish become too conjested and foul hooking a chum with 10lb main can lead to many lost jigs  regardless of how carefull you are :( 

I am hoping the circle hook jig is the answer to my prays...and maybe they'll be less snaggy in that dam tree!