Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Whites,love em or hate em?  (Read 11048 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: Vedder Whites,love em or hate em?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 10:49:57 PM »

it is true, white springs are really easy to hook, but getting them in sometimes....is a different story.

also true... cohos are a challenge. it took me 9 outings and miles of walking to land my first one last year. it only weighed 4 lbs. ::)

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2005, 11:17:57 PM »

yeah the whiteys might be over populated but think on the bright side. atleast we have so decent fish in our river system. but i gotta admit theye are anoying when there a coho cashing ur bait and a spring cuts it off and hits it instead. but whiteys make damn good smoked salmon

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2005, 11:28:44 PM »

White chinook overpopulating the Vedder River?

:D :D :D :D

Please review the stats on this page. The number of adult white chinook returning to the hatchery is about 10% or lower of the number of adult coho salmon.

Fish the right waters, and you will not encounter any white chinook salmon. If you fish where the white chinook salmon are, you WILL catch white chinooks. :)

I think last year I managed to hook one white spring, two chums and the rest were all coho, coho jacks and spring jacks.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2005, 11:40:10 PM »

wow. why such a low return rate considering numbers released? very surprising considering also they're the least targetted species (asides chum). ???

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 11:59:01 PM »

Rod you are right when the springs are in the coho are caught in different types of water,But remember the coho are caught in different water mostly because they are pushed out by the springs,before the spring run was enhanced on the chilliwack the coho would be found in abundance in many of the same waters that the springs dominate today, it is not that there are more springs than coho its that the springs are the more dominant species in the river .tight lines.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2005, 01:01:09 AM »

Very true searun. This just makes coho fishing more challenging, which I enjoy. :) The white chinook population certain is not impacting the coho population negatively. Each salmon species has its own specific niche in a river ecosystem. They will all have a place to occupy. :)

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2005, 11:15:48 AM »

Is a lot of fun when you hooked up a chromer spring using a center pin with light main line and leader.But i am happy just to be out at the river ;),Nice to meet you (fishfreak)

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2005, 01:28:23 PM »

not a big fan of those whites in the vedder good to have them on for the fight and the pictures but boy do they sure smell  :P I've caught whites in the Fraser before and they also smell but not as bad.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2005, 12:20:01 PM »

wow. why such a low return rate considering numbers released? very surprising considering also they're the least targetted species (asides chum). ???

If you looked a little closer you would realize that white chinooks are relased as fry, whereas the majority of coho are realsed as smolts. There are alot of big hungry cutthroat, NPN, or residents who love to eat fry.
Actions speak louder than words.

buck

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2005, 04:33:00 PM »

Rod

Return rates for Chilliwack whites are cosiderably higher than what is posted.. The numbers displayed are rack returns back to the hatchery. These fish do not like to return to the facility in great numbers , but prefer the heavy fast water betwwen the hatchery and Tamihi bridge.. Population estimates over the last few years have ranged between 40k to 80k. Coho numbers are more accurate as they return to the hatchery more readily. The whites were transplanted from the Harrison River in the mid eighties and as you all know have taken very well. These fish, as some of the other anglers have commented about push coho out of the prime holding water which makes catching them a little more challanging. Has anybody noticed that coho in the Chilliwack have become more difficult to catch over the last ten years? Wild fish seem to bite readily but the hatchery component are a little more difficult to take.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2005, 09:36:44 PM »

(asides chum). ???

most guys i know don't target chums.  poor assumption on my part? ???

i'm not big on them, but if you like to eat them, that's cool. 8)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2005, 10:07:46 PM »

Yep Buck, I have noticed that. If a spring moves into a hole, the coho just get lockjawed. Plus the low water conditions of recent years really freaks them out. They just keep moving. Four years ago seems to be the last time we had decent water at the beginning of the season and they were really aggressive in the canal.
Fish on!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2005, 10:48:03 PM »

bad for us, but good for their survival rate ::)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2005, 07:33:47 AM »

What does that matter, they only take so many for brood stock anyways.
Actions speak louder than words.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2005, 10:16:57 PM »

What does that matter, they only take so many for brood stock anyways.

figure of speech....light joke, for the sake of conversation...you did notice the  " ::) "
lighten up a bit.