Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Whites,love em or hate em?  (Read 11049 times)

searun17

• Old Timer
Vedder Whites,love em or hate em?
« on: September 15, 2005, 11:29:12 AM »

Just curious to see how people feel about the vedder white springs,do you enjoy fishing for them or are they more of a nuisance.Occasionally i will have some fun with them but for the most part i think i would rather see a few less in the system,i remember a number of years ago when a person consistently  hooked into many more coho and to hook into a big white was less common than it is today, also i find with the springs doing so well on the vedder the fishing pressure has more than doubled in the last several years,coincidence , maybe.Just some food for thought,what do you think. :) :-[
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder Whites,love em or hate em?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 02:54:12 PM »

Coho are fun but spring are more fun for the sport of it for my its more of  challange to land a huge fish than a smaller one.
[

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 03:16:37 PM »

I like the brute strength of a spring...makes for a great battle on a centre pin but it often degrades into nuthing more than a tug of war. 

In my opinion NOTHING beats the arrial abilities of a coho!   Setting the hook and seeing that coho role underneigth...thats magic for me!

Ad on that the food value of a fall white spring is nothing compared to a coho and I will take a fiesty little bar of silver over a big old boot any day.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 03:47:36 PM »

the whites for sure. they put up a good scrap and really get the heart pumpin. but for eating coho all the way ;D

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 04:26:12 PM »

MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT are you sports fihermen or meatfishermen lol.
[

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 06:49:35 PM »

there a lotta fun, but when your tergeting coho, they suck :P. i always get days when you see a bunch of coho sitting in pool and then u cast your line, and you end up hooking the only spring in that spot. then it snaps you off cause your using 10lb. test, so then you go back to tie. when you get back, the coho hav already moved up :P

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 06:54:28 PM »

Gooey said it all!
The Bigger The Better!

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 08:14:53 PM »

I love Springs, but you casn only fish coho in fall. Are the springs from the vedder smellier and grosser than the ones you get in the fraser during summer?

yes

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 10:07:40 PM »

well searun and I have spent many a day out on the veddar and would have just rather not hooked a white.  I personaaly think that it is much more difficult to land a coho than a big spring.  For spring a person is usually using much bigger gear that can handle that size of fish fairly easily.  Whereas for coho, searun and I allways use very light gear. 6-8 lb leaders and a much softer pole and lighter main line.  12lb main line for me.  If you hook a decent sized coho on the light gear,you will be in for one heck of a fight.  With the rolls and the arieals, to me that is a real test of skill to land a nice coho.  I'll take the fast aggressive fight of a coho over the slow pulling tugawar of the spring anyday.  All though the springs(reds) on the frasier, now that is a differnet story.  They are awsome.  Whites on the veddar, not so much.  Yeah they are big but so what.     
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Headshake

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 10:23:13 PM »

My rank. 1.Red spring. They seem to have a little more spunk to them than the the big lazy whites and taste waaaay better. 2. Coho. I wish they were a little less finicky. Kinda like some women I know, but taste great! 3. White springer. One or two a day is ok, but it gets old real fast when they just put their head down and waste your day as the hos go by. Good on the smoker, but in last place when it comes to pure taste. If you like the fryer, they do make great fish and chips!
I'ts either a fish or the bottom!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 11:32:50 PM »

Ionno big steal slow tug? usualy when i hook a white on the vedder first thing it does is zoom down stream to the fast water like a bat out of hell gotta run with it sometimes.
[

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 12:08:32 AM »

it's the good type of pain, yet nerve racking at times. 8) gotta love it.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 12:20:10 AM »

Yes  it is fun battling those big brutes but for me catching big coho on light gear is more challenging and for the most part when i go to the vedder it is coho i am targeting and the big springs are more of a negative than a positive thing.Personally i would rather hook into 5 or 6 nice coho in a day than hooking into spring after spring all day,it gets old very quick. :) ;D
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 06:22:33 PM »

I'm with Gooey on this topic. White Springs are sometimes fun but they are sooo easy to hook. Coho are more of a challenge and I looove the rolls and thrashing under the surface plus the air time.
Fish on!

James

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 06:29:23 PM »

Coho are nice if you are looking for meat . But  I do think that the veddar/chilliwack is way too populated with white springs , I wish that we could have a nice coho run and catch more of them than springs . But the springs make sure you don't go home with out catching a fish , although I release all but one salmon a year .