Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 14lb. Coho on the Fraser  (Read 4290 times)

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
14lb. Coho on the Fraser
« on: September 07, 2005, 04:04:32 PM »

My dad hooked and landed a nice chrome 14lb. coho today on the Upper Fraser. C&R

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: 14lb. Coho on the Fraser
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 04:36:07 PM »

Probably the sort of thing you want to keep to yourself if you wish to have the fraser kept open.
Actions speak louder than words.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 04:42:57 PM »

Probably the sort of thing you want to keep to yourself if you wish to have the fraser kept open.

I have to agree with Biffchan as it was most likely a Thompson Coho.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 08:32:58 PM »

How about the pink fishery? Those coho do chase spoons.

Or roe fishery for local coho and spring jack stocks that used to exist? A Thompson coho with a swallowed baited hook can't be too nice...

Or a Thompson coho being dragged in quickly on a heavy bar rod after it takes a spin n glow?

Funny, the original poster did not even mention what style of fishing his dad was doing at the time. ::)

sliverbullet

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 09:07:31 PM »

everybodys so quick to judge  ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 11:14:23 PM »

Christ give the kid some slack, you guys here are quick to jump on people but God Oh Mighty to when it is you they jump on you start crying and want people banned.

Like if one fish is going to do anything to a stock, YOU SHOULD LOOK AT YOUR SELF FOR FISHING IN THAT SNAG FEST OH I MEAN FLOSSHING AS YOU CALL IT. 

NOW THAT IS WHAT NEEDS TO BE TALKED ABOUT NOT SOME 10YEAR CATCHING A FISH WITH HIS DAD!

To many wonabe CO's or DFO on here, more like Computer fisherman more like it.

C.F

Like he said. :-X

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 11:24:49 PM »

Computer fishermen LOL!!!!!!!!!! i liked that one gona remember that for later use.
[

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 11:38:54 PM »

Oh WOW 14lb coho that's big. So far I've cought pinks and sockeye. Have yet to catch a coho, spring or chum.  ;D

Hopefully this year I'll be able to accomplish that.  ;)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 12:46:52 AM »

i accidently caught a coho last week. it was too dark, i thought i caught a sockeye...i bonked it.  :'(
when i'd realized what i've done, i got on my knees... bent down and started giving it mouth to mouth...didn't work, but i didn't give up. i proceeded to give it CPR....then miraculously the fish started to flop around.  :o  i quickly picked it up and brought it to the edge of the water, where i gently released it, to see it swim away  :) 

ya dumb story. i know. the thing is, this is just a forum. people need to stop over analyzing and scrutinizing every post.

so the kid's dad caught a coho, so what? he released it unharmed.  and to speculate the way he fished... who cares? suppose he caught it while fly fishing, or retrieving a spoon, or even bar fishing....what difference does it make?  THE FISH WAS RELEASED UNHARMED.... END OF STORY.

thanx cody. at least i know the cohos are starting to come up river.  that's invaluable information, unfortunately some people don't need it because they already know it all.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 12:54:07 AM by blaydRnr »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 07:40:14 AM »

Everyone complains that people are quick to jump on peoples backs here.   Biffs a good guy in my books - thoughtful, usually diplomatic, and not a S**T desturber...ever consider that a bunch of you just  jumped on Biffs back?!?!?

Biff said: Probably the sort of thing you want to keep to yourself if you wish to have the fraser kept open.

He never attacked them for flossing, never made any assumptions etc.  Maybe he was insinuatiing that if DFO knows Thompson coho are in the river mixing with socs and pink, they will close it to protect the coho - regardless of how you fish them.  They have put a bait ban in to protect coho (a first I believe).

Maybe everyone needs to take a chill pill!

That said, DFO is not blind to the type of fishing going on on the fraser.  Just like the chinook opening, within the pink opening they have asked us to use selective methods. Now that sockeye is closed, I wonder how many people will still be out flossing.  This activity (pre and post sockeye) will only endanger future sockeye sports openings so I hope that if people wont take conservation seriously (ie protection of Thompson coho) then hopefully they will realize that DFO will shut the fraser down if we keep on abusing the flossing technique.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 08:31:39 AM by Gooey »

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 08:22:59 AM »

Thanks for the support Gooey.

To everyone else who either mis-understood me or was just looking for shots. I never mentioned anything about bb'ing or even sockeye in my post. Perhaps you forget how in previous years dfo would monitor the fraser very closely and as soon as any coho were caught the whole river was closed to salmon fishing until october 15th. All I'm saying is that important people have been known to view these sites and that if they see too many reports of coho being caught you could very well kiss your pink fishery goodbye.
Actions speak louder than words.

Double Underhooks

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 09:26:59 AM »

Yep, everyone needs to RELAX and go out fishing instead of being key board cowboys  ;)

Don't worry about the fisheries, we'll always have the sculpin fishery  ;D

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 03:37:00 PM »

ok, i wont post any more cause i get judged to quick

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 06:59:55 PM »

Coho Cody- don't worry about those who are quick to judge. I felt the same way when some of them accused me of bonking a sockeye at the Vedder river. The zoomed in picture clearly proved that it was a Spring.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 07:21:54 PM »

Keep posting Coho Cody. No matter what you do, there will always be people raining on your parade. Do your thing.