- 17 (39.5%)
5-9
- 10 (23.3%)
10-13, I'm a meathead!!
- 2 (4.7%)
I lived at peg leg, took all 14
- 1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: sockeye season in review  (Read 14666 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: sockeye season in review
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2005, 07:22:41 AM »

I always state its not always about how many fish you catch its about getting out and having fun.

That's my line when I get skunked ! ;D

ya i always have fun when i get skunked. in fact, i enjoy it so much i'll brag about it to my buddies. then they'll beg me to take them out, so we can all get skunked together.  ::)

ya what fun, we can have our little pow wow... talk... sing 'kumbaya'... maybe even roast some marsh mellows over the fire, then make shmores.....Damn fish. who needs them? ::)  ;D

You are pretty quick with the comebacks hey... Oh and how they are so clever.... If you dont understand the fun in fishing without catching fish I actually feel sorry for you. Also you get information from another site by lurking over there, another mature thing to do. I am not a meat fisherman I am a..............SPORT FISHERMAN!!!!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2005, 08:05:38 AM »

;D well i have 5 in the freezer and am very happy with that. had to save room for the coho and white spring to go in there also ya know. ;D

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2005, 10:44:18 AM »

I enjoy fishing - whether I catch anything or not.  If I had to catch fish, then I CERTAINLY wouldn't be steelheading  ::) 

I am NOT a sport fisherman.  I am, as my license states:  A RECREATIONAL fisherman.  Stop trying to make fishing a SPORT.  It isn't!  It's recreational.

I enjoy the recreation of fishing for sockeye (flossing), and the recreation of fishing for coho, steelhead (float fishing) as well as the recreation of fly fishing for trout.  Do I catch things?  Not always.  Am I a "Meat fisherman"?  No.  I'm a RECREATIONAL fisherman, the same as ANYONE else that buys that little license from MWLAP/DFO :D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2005, 11:01:04 AM »

I have to disagree with you Dragonspeed. Flossing for sockeye is a meat fishery plain and simple. Anyone who says otherwise is just saying that to make themselves feel better for what they are doing. I also don't agree with it only being recreational. Their are allot of sports out their that you could call recreational as well but it depends on how you approach it. I will explain to you how I justify calling it a sport.

For me searching for fish and exploring is part of the sport. If you cannot find the fish you wont catch anything. Once the fish are located you have to have an arsenal of flies, bait or gear otherwise you may not catch those fish. Even if you have the right gear etc that still does not mean they will bite. You also have to have the right presentation meaning it must be at the correct level in the water for the fish to see it. Their are so many factors that go into fishing especially for steelheading or trout fishing.

If I was just a barfishermen than yes I would call myself a recreational fisherman, but I try everything ( other than BB'ing that is ) so I consider myself a sportfisherman for the above stated reasons.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2005, 11:44:50 AM »

Dictionary definition.

Sport

An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

An active pastime: -recreation.

So fishing IS recreational.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2005, 12:11:18 PM »

I am a speatfisherman (edit: or smortfisherman). I fish for the meat, as well as compete with my buddies on numbers. ;D

1. Meat or sport?
2. Meat or sport?
3. Meat or sport?
4. Meat or sport? <-- Bloody sport! :o
5. Meat or....? :-X

Is speyfishing more sporting than single handed flyfishing?
Is flyfishing more sporting than lure fishing?
Is lure fishing more sporting than baitfishing?
If I use articifials instead of roe when float fishing, is it more sporting, because it takes longer to hook into a fish?

;)

So many questions, unable to answer them, haven't reach the zen level in fishing yet... :-[
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 12:12:51 PM by Rodney »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2005, 01:39:04 PM »

Interesting - I did some looking up on definitions of "sport"  - Certainly no standard there :(   I guess we all are what we believe we are and as long as we follow the rules, we can keep being it  :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2005, 01:57:13 PM »

What do you do with the bass you catch ?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2005, 02:00:02 PM »

What do you do with the bass you catch ?

Now thats a legitimate question. well if its from clean waters I will cook them. If its from a murky slough than what Trout Slayer said is true. I never kill more than the legal limit though. I am pushing for an increase in the daily limit. Some people may disagree with what I do but its what I believe in.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2005, 06:50:36 PM »

You are pretty quick with the comebacks hey... Oh and how they are so clever.... If you dont understand the fun in fishing without catching fish I actually feel sorry for you. Also you get information from another site by lurking over there, another mature thing to do. I am not a meat fisherman I am a..............SPORT FISHERMAN!!!!!

where was i lurking? any site i go to, i'm a registered member. if i happen to mention anything that's already been said, it's strictly by coincidence. if you're referring to a previous thread, well hey guess what. this is a public forum. what the hell do you expect? if you don't like people reading what you write, don't post.  :P

who said i don't have fun when i don't catch anything? i'm saying i wouldn't have fun if it became a habit.

finally MR. SPORTFISHERMEN, maybe you should take the time to read RODNEY'S post, it might just enlighten you :P

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2005, 07:04:09 PM »

I dont need anyone to enlighten me. Beliefs are beliefs and opinions are opinions. When someone says something stupid its just that stupid. Its easy not to get skunked when you are snagging fish but personally I prefer my fish to bite.

where was i lurking? any site i go to, i'm a registered member. if i happen to mention anything that's already been said, it's strictly by coincidence. if you're referring to a previous thread, well hey guess what. this is a public forum. what the hell do you expect? if you don't like people reading what you write, don't post.  :P

who said i don't have fun when i don't catch anything? i'm saying i wouldn't have fun if it became a habit.

finally MR. SPORTFISHERMEN, maybe you should take the time to read RODNEY'S post, it might just enlighten you :P

Belong to the "4 F Club"

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2005, 07:07:51 PM »

Having degenerated far enough, this thread will now be closed.  Thank you all for visiting.

Have a nice day.