- 17 (39.5%)
5-9
- 10 (23.3%)
10-13, I'm a meathead!!
- 2 (4.7%)
I lived at peg leg, took all 14
- 1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: sockeye season in review  (Read 14651 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: sockeye season in review
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 02:12:50 PM »

Drinking in public area is actually illegal.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2005, 02:31:51 PM »

what makes me laugh is people who whine about the sockeye fishery not being a sport...but in turn will brag about how great bar fishing is....

right... having your line set out with a bell or clicker, while you sleep or drink beer.

yah vern... that's sports fishing at its best.... hee haw yippy ky yey. :P

Atleast we are not snagging fish...... :P

Unable to read a polite request above?  ::)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2005, 03:01:02 PM »

what makes me laugh is people who whine about the sockeye fishery not being a sport...but in turn will brag about how great bar fishing is....

right... having your line set out with a bell or clicker, while you sleep or drink beer.

yah vern... that's sports fishing at its best.... hee haw yippy ky yey. :P

Atleast we are not snagging fish...... :P

Unable to read a polite request above?  ::)

I can read but you have to atleast give me a chance for a rebutle. As far as drinking in a public place goes I dont bar fish where there are 100 people. Usually the only people that are there are my friends since we have spots that nobody ever goes. I wouldnt drink in a place where their are kids hanging around.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Bass Master

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2005, 07:55:51 PM »

hahaha eddie, why would they convert to bar fishing if its more expensive, also if that method is so hot why are you 0 for 12 trips or whatever this year. lmao :-*

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2005, 08:01:13 PM »

yikes
snagging is what happens in the lower fraser

you know
heavy wieght with two big hooks towed behind
no matter if barb or not

i realy wish you anti bb guys would spend your time worrying about
this fishery as it is far more destructive and actually illeagal

ps there is alot of it happening

my two cents
 ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2005, 08:27:07 PM »

hahaha eddie, why would they convert to bar fishing if its more expensive, also if that method is so hot why are you 0 for 12 trips or whatever this year. lmao :-*

Your right I am like 0-12 but I always have fun. If you read my posts I always state its not always about how many fish you catch its about getting out and having fun. To me fishing shoulder to shoulder with 100 people is not fun. I have been doing just fine with the pinks though. Got 4 of them on Monday. Getting them ready to be smoked as they are soaking in my special brine. Coho season is upon us and I will be back out barfishing for them. I also float fish for salmon on local rivers and creeks. I also do a ton of flyfishing which is the most expensive by far.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2005, 08:30:52 PM »

I always state its not always about how many fish you catch its about getting out and having fun.

That's my line when I get skunked ! ;D

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2005, 08:42:35 PM »

Well - I only got out twice - Fri and Sat (Sep 2 - 3).  Got 4 sox in the freezer.  Limited out each trip by 9:00 AM.  Left after I got my limit as I don't believe in pressuring the sox.  I also left the fly rod at home as I hate carrying lots of gear around and I never risk leaving extra gear in the vehicle.  That's asking for trouble!  Hope everyone had fun!   :)

ocean_going

• fish on
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2005, 08:57:11 PM »

[ I always state its not always about how many fish you catch its about getting out and having fun.
                                     it sure is fun to at least catch at  least one fish though

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2005, 10:03:08 PM »

[ I always state its not always about how many fish you catch its about getting out and having fun.
                                     it sure is fun to at least catch at  least one fish though

Dont get me wrong it is fun to catch fish but I dont get disappointed when I dont. I do a ton of trout fishing in creeks,streams, and lakes. Their are a bunch of times when I get skunked especially in the LM. The challenge is finding the fish and having the right fly. I dont use anything else for trout other than my fly rod as its no fun to catch trout any other way. Exploring, and locating fish is half the fun.

Barfishing with 10 friends and having a BS session is allot of fun. Its a time to get together and do something you enjoy.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2005, 11:44:18 PM »

Go up to a person who doesn't fish, and ask him or her, "Why do people go fishing?"

Most likely the reply will be, "To catch fish."

;)

Most people who start out fishing because they want to catch a fish. Take a kid out fishing, if the fish are not keeping him or her occupied, it is time to go home.

Most people who start out fishing in BC because they want to catch a salmon. People are lured into the sockeye fishery because of its tasty meat and a seemingly easy way of catching them.

As anglers grow if they choose to continue in this activity, they move onto other fishing opportunities in this province. Every type of fishing has a different fun element, some may enjoy it, some may not. The thrill of being able to bring home a couple of best tasting salmon home is what drives people back to the Fraser. Being able to share that thrill with a close family member or friend makes it even more attractive.

Some people, like me, enjoy fishing with only a couple of people around most of the time. In the wintertime I enjoy catching and releasing dollies and steelhead with itosh, chrome mykiss or trout slayer, doing it for the "sport".

Does that make me better than the other 200 people standing at Peg Leg this week? Not really.

The bottom line is, the Fraser River sockeye fishery is designated as a legal fishery. If someone chooses to participate in it, it doesn't make him or her an idiot, beek or moron. I choose not to participate in it because I find my thrill in other types of fishing, and the taste of sockeye doesn't lure me as much. Does that make me holier than those who choose to do it? Not really.

If you feel that drivers are driving too fast on a particular street near your house yet they are not exceeding the speed limit, what do you do?

Do you, yell at them to tell them to slow down?

No, you go to the source of the problem, those who designate the speed limit!

If people feel that the Fraser River sockeye fishery should be closed as it degrades the recreational sector (don't bother present statistical argument of how this fishery can destroy the salmon stocks, because it does not), then you should be voicing your thoughts to those who make the regulations - DFO!

It's not going to be me, I'll say that on the record, because I value my life, car, belongings when I go fishing in Chilliwack. It has been suggested by some of my colleagues that I should push for a closure, that's not going to happen.

What's the difference between two dead sockeyes from the ocean and two dead sockeyes from the Fraser River beside the fact that two are known to bite the hook for sure? Nothing, they're both dead. They both will not make it to the spawning ground to produce offsprings.

What's being debated is personal values, morals, ethics, which differ from one person to the next. There isn't a right or wrong, just like many other issues in life.

How is it ethical when a so-called sportsman dangle a natural or artificial food in the water to lure the fish closer. When the fish bites that piece of food, it feels a sharp object being pierced into its jaw. The pain causes the fish to struggle as it begins to breath heavily and swims around in fear. At the same time, it feels some force is pulling it closer to the surface and the pain in its jaw is getting worse. As it reaches the surface, a large hand grabs the fish in the air. The fish is now lacking oxygen, and feeling the burn from the sun. As this takes place, the sharp pain is relieved. The fish then drops into the water again and swims away slowly. It sits on the bottom, trying to recover while the fisherman has a sense of accomplishment because he or she just made hell in some living creature's life.

Now I bet this person sleeps better than those who have been standing at Peg Leg killing sockeyes for food, because... you know, he or she was ethical. ::)

Bait fishing, really ethical too, to kill a life to catch another one.

Playing a large marlin, one of the most magnificent fish in the world, on a fly rod to the point that the fish reaches exhaustion so the angler can obtain a world record, the fish bites the hook, but is it ethical?

Spearfishing, obviously not ethical, the fish didn't bite the spear.

In Japan, the unique fishing style for ayu salmon is done by hooking a live ayu on your line with a couple of trailing hooks, place the luring fish in another ayu's territory. Due to its defensive behaviour, the inhabiting fish will attack the luring fish, therefore hooked by the trailing hook. The tradition has been practiced for hundreds of years, normally only done by upper class anglers. Is it ethical?

Paddlefish in the US are filter feeders that cannot be enticed by natural bait on a hook or lures. The only existing recreational fishery for paddle fish is SNAGGING. The fish are literally snagged and pulled to shore for harvesting. The eggs are made into carviar due to their similarity to sturgeon eggs. Each year a harvest quota is given and the fishery is sustainable and brings tremendous amount of cash to the local businesses. Is it ethical?

The chairs, tables that you are using right now, or the house that you are sitting in, are made of wood. Wood, coming from the trees being cut down by the logging industry, is a vital resource for salmon bearing streams. We are endangering our salmon by reducing shading, increasing run-off in our watersheds. Ethical?

The problem I do recognize is that there has been a sharp spike of misinformed newcomers in the recreational fishing sector. People from the city, who are not as connected to the river, do not necessarily understand the mutual relationship between the river and its users. Issues such as garbage, fish species identification need to be emphasized.

Identify the issues, set your objectives, it'll make this small (sportfishing) community better. Coming here and arguing against each other is not helping, it only drives people away from the views that you believe in. The intentions are great, the approaches are not.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2005, 11:48:59 PM »

I always state its not always about how many fish you catch its about getting out and having fun.

That's my line when I get skunked ! ;D

ya i always have fun when i get skunked. in fact, i enjoy it so much i'll brag about it to my buddies. then they'll beg me to take them out, so we can all get skunked together.  ::)

ya what fun, we can have our little pow wow... talk... sing 'kumbaya'... maybe even roast some marsh mellows over the fire, then make shmores.....Damn fish. who needs them? ::)  ;D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2005, 12:38:55 AM »

Ayu fishing is actually a very high skill fishing technique. Mostly seasoned fishermen would have success.  It's a fishery that beginners usually can't grasp in the first few tries.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2005, 01:46:38 AM »

Well said Rodney. To debate whether a type of fishing is more ethical than another is really academic. It's like debating whether killing an inmate by lethal injection versus chopping off his head is more ethical. The result is still the same. Rather than educating the people in a constructive manner these "ethical" fishermen oftentimes resort to name calling, making threats or banning them simply because their views differ from them.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2005, 07:00:29 AM »

7 days of opening, 12 tasty sox in the freezer and one's already made itself into my belly..... mmmmmmmm nothin tastes better than a freshly flossed sock on the barbeque, dressed with white wine sauce..... and I'll say mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm again.
also, not one bad experience this year everyone we fished beside were complete gentlemen.