- 17 (39.5%)
5-9
- 10 (23.3%)
10-13, I'm a meathead!!
- 2 (4.7%)
I lived at peg leg, took all 14
- 1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: sockeye season in review  (Read 14664 times)

Bass Master

sockeye season in review
« on: September 07, 2005, 09:26:06 AM »

With it being last day of sockeye season lets see how the numbers tally up. ;D

fishin_chick

• Shut up and fish!
Re: sockeye season in review
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 10:07:53 AM »

I took up golf...but I think I'm still more proficient at fishing! lol.  I finally got out there.  For one day, although I don't really care for the shoulder to shoulder stuff, I am pleased to report, that the gentlemen, fishing on either side of me were just that...gentlemen.  There was no yelling and screaming.  no punching and kicking.  when I got hooked up with another guy way up the bank, he actually totally appologized and admitted that perhaps he had let his line drift too far.  I told him no prob.  I assume, it's not always going to be this nice, (not just because I am a chick...hehe) but it was nice to get out there anyways, and have a nice time.  admittedly though, I must say, once or twice at pegleg is enough for me.  Rodney, I'll let you know when I'm gonna bbq up that fillet!
Hi ho Hi ho...It's off to Fish I go!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 10:14:38 AM »

Ya I fished there for a few hours the people around my sister and I were really nice. Even after fishing I stayed to see others fish (see if I can pick up some pointers) and didn't see anyone that's rude. (at least not in the stretch I was at)
Not a bad experience for us.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 10:56:51 AM »

0 in the Fraser and 2 out on the WCVI. I dont BB and never will. Hopefully one day it gets banned.Talking to tackle shop owners they say they would welcome the ban since more people would have to barfish and barfishing is more expensive than BB'ing.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 10:59:55 AM »

Bar fishing more expensive? Not always true. How often does one lose bar rigs? Not many. For me for the past 18 years, never lost a bar rig.
But first time BBing? Lost 2 weight. :-\

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 11:10:01 AM »

I only kept two on opening day in the pm. After that I realized why I hate fishing for sox. The crowds where crazy, half the people there don't care about others, and the mess left behind after just one day was sickening. It should be renamed to meat fishery not sockeye opening. I am glad that most of the fishermen that fish for sockeye only fish sox's. Simply because they only know how to fish that way.I could only handle that one day of fishing after that day I said forget it only reason I went that day was a co-worker wanted me to go with him and my daughter also wanted to fish other wise I never would of gone.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Ho whacker

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 11:22:02 AM »

that sucked!
I go on a hunting trip leaving last wensday and get back yesterday only to work the last days of the opening >:(
at least i got some deer to put in the freezer..
Theres no fish in the harrison I swear ;)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 11:33:49 AM »

Bar fishing more expensive? Not always true. How often does one lose bar rigs? Not many. For me for the past 18 years, never lost a bar rig.
But first time BBing? Lost 2 weight. :-\

Are you a tackle shop owner? If not than I guess you really dont know. I spoke to 3 owners who all said the same thing. So you only own 1 bar rig? 1 spin n glo? 1 12-20oz weight? If you fish the Fraser the barfishing setup is not always the same depending on where you fish. In faster current you use spin n glos. In slower current you are using roe or other forms of bait. Not too mention buying scents. I dont lose much gear either but I am always trying new things and buying new things.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 11:45:57 AM »

I am not, but my neighbour is. Good for you that you are trying things out. Initial aquisition, bar rigs cost more, there is no doubt.  But the recurrence expense is higher for BBers, people bar fishing just does not loose their rigs easy.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 11:49:33 AM »

eddie, isn't it possible that the owners are telling you that so they can get rid of their overstocked bouncing betties and fireline for the season? ;)

I have to agree with Bwi Bwi, barfishing would be a lot cheaper than flossing (not bottom bouncing, that's a totally different technique ::) ) in the long run. The weights used when barfishing are rarely lost, ask people how many bouncing betties they lose during each sockeye trip. :) The chance of breaking a rod, snapping the line, birdnesting, etc etc etc is also larger when you're flossing.

My setup for bottom/bar fishing in tidal Fraser River is pretty simple, I just use either my spin or drift gear depending on the size of the fish that I am targeting.

fishin chick, hmmm bbq sockeye... :) I heard that you went fishing and forgot about your friends last week? ;) Get ready for the Vedder. :D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 12:21:35 PM »

If the owners are trying to get rid of their overstock they are asking the wrong person... While barfishing the upper river I use braided line which costs a small fortune. While fishing the lower river I use a slightly smaller setup.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 12:55:51 PM »

what makes me laugh is people who whine about the sockeye fishery not being a sport...but in turn will brag about how great bar fishing is....

right... having your line set out with a bell or clicker, while you sleep or drink beer.

yah vern... that's sports fishing at its best.... hee haw yippy ky yey. :P

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 01:22:29 PM »

what makes me laugh is people who whine about the sockeye fishery not being a sport...but in turn will brag about how great bar fishing is....

right... having your line set out with a bell or clicker, while you sleep or drink beer.

[moderator's hat]

Can we please try to keep the "my way is better than yours" from flaring up again?

[/moderator's hat]

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 01:28:47 PM »

While barfishing the upper river I use braided line which costs a small fortune

Last time I checked so did all the flossers. Only they go through 2 or 3 spools a year cause they birdsnest more frequently.
Actions speak louder than words.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 01:58:45 PM »

Atleast we are not snagging fish...... :P

Belong to the "4 F Club"