fns only
- 1 (2.9%)
commercial&sporties
- 8 (22.9%)
undecided
- 2 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: August 31, 2005, 06:58:01 PM

Author Topic: should we close sockeye and wait one year  (Read 6464 times)

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
should we close sockeye and wait one year
« on: August 29, 2005, 06:58:01 PM »

im all for a total closure to all fisherman for 1 yr :D

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
Re: should we close sockeye and wait one year
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 07:14:29 PM »

commercial fishers pioneered the fishing methods for sockeye.
All the gear you see used below Hope was developed by the commercial fleet .
Us sport fishers were given a portion of the commercial catch a decade or two ago.
Any opening given to sport fishers well no sommercial openinbs are granted
will result in as much controversy as the FN fishery causes now .

IMHO
 ;D
let us all fish responsibly
but let us all fish

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 07:46:07 PM »

i'm pissed off too.   no doubt i wanted a sockeye this year, but now i think there is too much at risk for an opening. i'd rather see a controlled protest by the commies, at the cost of a few sockeyes. at least it will minimize the damage to any protected stocks.

i also support any civil actions against dfo.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 10:51:43 PM »

Don't buy the government redirect, the socks are late just like the springs were that's all. The warm water thing that the government todies are pitching is just the flavor of the month to place blame anywhere else but in the goverments lap. Last year they tried to tell us the socks went missing between Hope & Lyton as a result of poaching. Next time you travel the canyon have a look over the side at the river and tell me how the poachers did it. Oh I know they repelled down the cliffs and took the socks out at night with blacked out choppers. GIVE ME A BREAK. The warm water thing as been floating around since the early 90's when they closed the springs to sport fishing for a season. The flavor of the month then was preditation by mackeral that came north due to what? Unaturally warm water. Trust me there is alot more to this thing than meets the eye. I look forward to the day the whole mess blows up and the real truth comes out.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 11:35:50 PM »

I have to agree that the socks are just late.  Like every species was this year!!!  Wouldn't some one with a brain at DFO have expected that they would be late since the Cap coho were late, the summer steelhead were late, the red springs were late in the Vedder and Chehalis....etc.
Fish on!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 11:56:24 PM »

actually, now that i think about it...it makes alot of sense.  if the early summer run was late, along with the late summer run, running late...i guess its a fair assessment to think the adams run/cultus lake run etc..etc..would also be running late.

i recant my earlier post.

halorail

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 05:55:00 PM »

How about once every five years to bring the stocks back.
Pack Out Your Trash

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 06:28:08 PM »

#1 - keeping FN and commercial out of the water this year will do next to nothing!  What ever we dont get thru an allocation, FN will take in a "food fishery" or by poaching.

#2 - if both sports and comercial stay off the water this summer, it paves the way for another RACE based fishery next year.

#3 - letting every 5th year go (or whatever) will only benefit the one year class, not the whole 4 year cycle so its not that beneficail

We need to fish...by DFO given opening or by protest.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 07:04:14 PM »

I don't need to fish, especially for sockeye.  Its not sport fishing at all.  BUT, I hate the scare tactics we hear every year that there is a disaster with the sockeye. DFO are like farmers- its never a good year.

Last year granted it was a small return, but that was expected because it was the smallest run of the 4 year cycle.  Now everyone on the river will tell you that there are a lot of sockeye returning.  Dfo needs a better way of determining the size of the returns.- Such as including info from the sporties.
Fish on!

nosey

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 07:06:36 PM »

Last year the fishing was poor in Chilliwack below the fn nets everyone are concerned about the fisheries did not have a accurate count on them. I live in Hope and every native on the river can be fishing and we can still catch fish here, but turn the commercials loose for half a day and they catch every fish in the river from Mission to the ocean creating a three day hole in the fishery when there are absolutely no fish. The commercial fishery is too efficient to be allowed to fish in the river and the sports fishers are making a greivous error by aligning themselves with them. If we don't stand on are own and campain as a group, independant of the other users we will never make any gains or earn any respect from the political forces that run this country. After all closing the sport fishery has nothing to do with conservation and everything to do with politics. If we have to take a closure this year it will at least serve to unite sports fisherman into a group with some adjenda there will be an election in the next year.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 08:12:34 PM »

your right nosey. years before in the upper fraser you would plan your fishing 1-2 days after a scheduled commercial opening because like nosey said.....they swallow everthing. these fleets should be in the ocean where they belong.

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 08:14:13 PM »

election or not
these decissions were made long ago by the beauracracy
the fisheries minister knows nothing and does less

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 09:22:08 PM »

;D thanx for all your input guys some real great posts in here ;D

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 09:50:31 PM »

no problem, but wouldn't you really rather have a coke?  lmao.  I'll have a rum and pepsiiiiii....heh heh
Fish on!

blueback

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 10:32:05 PM »

I say give the sporties a shot and keep the commercials closed. As mentioned above, no other group (at least not yet) has the catching power of the commercials.