fns only
- 1 (2.9%)
commercial&sporties
- 8 (22.9%)
undecided
- 2 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: August 31, 2005, 06:58:01 PM

Author Topic: should we close sockeye and wait one year  (Read 6465 times)

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
Re: should we close sockeye and wait one year
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2005, 10:38:04 PM »

;D good one bug pumper ;D ;D have a pepsi day :D 8)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 07:12:16 AM »

the comercial fleet and the FN fleet are not much different.  FN use trawlers, seiners, gill nets, etc.

In fact monofillament gill nets are banned in the comercial fleet (because the are too invisible to the fish) but FN uses them (I am not sure if FN mono nets are used despite DFO rules or not).

Really, I dont see much difference between the CF and FN fleets.  Think of it this way as well, in the open water the fish have a huge area to spead out in.  In the river they are confined and one FN net in that situation probably has a greater opportunity of catching a ton of fish.

I think DFO is trying to give the commercial industry over to the indians...this year was phase one.

I wonder how many comercial boats will be looking to be bought out after this year?  Amrk my words, that this is the beginning of a very steep and treacherous slope for our comercial fishers.

Since 1994 DFO have had a program: ATP (Allocation transfer Program).  In a nut shell, each year the gov has 4 mil to buy out commercial liscences and GIVE THAT QUOTA TO FN.

Here is what the DFO web site says:

Allocation Transfer Program (ATP)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) supports First Nations’ desire for increased economic development opportunities by providing community access to commercial fisheries.  In many areas, Aboriginal people are under-represented in commercial fisheries.  The commercial fishery is often the greatest economic opportunity for remote Aboriginal coastal communities. 

The “Allocation Transfer Program” was created in 1994 with a relatively stable operating mandate of approximately $4 million annually in Pacific Region. 

In keeping with DFO’s overall objective of resource conservation, the ATP facilitates the voluntary retirement of commercial licences and the re-issuance of the equivalent commercial fishing capacity as communal commercial licences to eligible Aboriginal groups. Therefore this program does not add to the existing effort on the resource. 

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 07:12:10 PM »

I guess that says it all doesn't Gooey. I have been suspect for 15 years that both levels of government want to unload and privatize fisheries. Almost happened in notidal as for tidal there are a few things to consider, one what Gooey has brought up the other is DFO's mandate to promote fish farming.

Since the emvironmental comunity has done such a good job of discrediting farm fish, (farm salmon for the most part are socialy unexceptable because of environmental concerns) the fish farm industry has seen a sustantial decline in sales. How do you sell more farm fish? One way is to make wild fish contraband. Now you have retailers facing a tuff decision; offer customers contraband fish and run the risk of legal remification and possible health issues due to miss handled product; or market substandard social unexceptable farm fish. The public want salmon for the barby. Money talks and if not satified the customer walks! What does the seller do?

Games, games, dirty games. We see it, but how do we stop it?     
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005, 08:05:33 PM »

It's open.  ;D