Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who likes sushi?  (Read 38758 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Who likes sushi?
« on: September 24, 2003, 11:37:23 PM »

salty

Re:Who likes sushi?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 01:08:52 PM »

I don't like sushi. I LOVE it.
Have made my own from salmon and prawns.  Fresh caught is so tasty, we do it right on the boat ( salt water only),  Some people say salmon  should be frozen first but i have been OK sofar.  I bring my own "sushi box" on board. I would like more info on safety of salmon if anybody knows more. ' :P'
Yup, I caught it with a marsh-mellow on a bent nail ,  first cast.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 02:13:22 PM »

What I have learned from the various sushi making courses that I have taken is as follows - shallow water fish is more dangerous than deep water fish. The particular nasty "sushi worm", who's scientific name I cannot recall at the moment lie in little curled balls between the muscle fiber of fish meat. There are alot of them in rockfish. (I bought a rockfish fillet at Steveston, and it had a total of 8 or these worms in it - thank god I cooked it). I wouldn't eat salmon raw unless it was flash frozen.

I have eaten scallops (actualy eaten them underwater while scuba diving......now that is fresh!)

Tuna right off the fish on a boat, and shark.

Other than that...and octopus, I would think twice.

Vince
You don't make friends with salad.

funky rodder

• Save me some guys....
    • i-Clean(TM) Global
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 11:37:46 PM »

i love this nemo dish   :P
i guess we've finally found nemo   :D
Bite me [bait]

Buckeye

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2003, 11:58:31 PM »

I'm glad someone brought up the roundworm issue. Roundworms are extremely common in pacific salmon. It is rare that i catch one that doesn't have at least one visible in the flesh after i fillet it.
I am no expert, but i believe Anisakis simplex is the most common in our salmon.
Before anyone freaks out i'd like to point out that these parasites are not poisonous. People eat them all the time. The dificulty arises when people consume an infected fish raw. To do so safely the fish should be frozen at - 20°C for 60 hours. That will kill all worms. The other option is to cook the fish. It takes only 1 minute at 60°C to kill the worms. Remember that the entire mass should be at that temperature, so for example a fillet 3 cm thick would need to be cooked for at least 10 minutes at 60°C for the entire piece to reach a temperature high enough to be safe. Salting and marinating does not kill them, neither does cold-smoking.
For more info see http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap25.html

*ps* I still love sushi!  :)

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2003, 10:25:59 PM »

The problem really arises when our little friend the round worm is taken from his cool, protien rich environment, and suddenly placed in a warm acidic bath (your stomach - if eaten raw). Then, said round worm panics, and tries to make a B-line to the outside world - through your stomach wall. Painful, and never a real party treat. Nothing like the guy on the end of the table exploding like that dude in alien to kill the mood.

Cook or flash freeze it, or your are in the risk zone.
You don't make friends with salad.

d_w

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2003, 06:41:48 AM »

Me and my family go out for sushi every friday night!! :D  
Fishing Is life the rest Is just details

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 11:13:59 AM »

I wouldn't eat any raw fish period. It's not just the worms and parasites, the bacteria alone is more scary. Did you know that Japanese people have the highest rate of stomach cancer in the world?

otto

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 09:02:32 PM »

THHBBBBTTT!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D if ya'll fried yer food with bacon there would'nt be this issue of parasites.........yum bacon fed bacon................. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 09:20:25 PM »

Did you know that Japanese people have the highest rate of stomach cancer in the world?

Where's the correlation between eating sushi and stomach cancer ?

FishKid

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 09:48:37 PM »

I've tried sushi a couple of times..........and since then haven't gone near it. :-X :-X

_Ivan_

• Fish for life. <*)))))>(
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2004, 07:48:22 PM »

LOL great pic Rodney.
I love sushi and so should everybody that likes fish. ;D
"Damn coho they're hard to catch." <*)))))>(

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 10:35:04 AM »

YUM ;D

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2004, 09:56:13 AM »

I pigged out on sushi a couple of times when I was in Vancouver recently.  It took a little doing to gag down that first taste of absolutely raw tuna and salmon, but I did it, and it was OK.  And I wasn't hungry for a long time after that.  I'd do it again, but if you ask me, raw salmon and tuna don't have nearly as much flavor as it does after a short trip through my BBQ.  I'm not talking about adding spices, sauces, or any seasoning at all--just throwing it on the grill and waiting until it is barely cooked all the way through.

On the other hand, next time I go fishing with my brother-in-law, the first trout I pull out of the water I just may start gnawing away on it right on the spot just to gross him out.

BirdNester

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2004, 12:35:17 PM »

My mom makes me make it all the time. They aren't that daring so I just make California roll. Everyone in my family loves it, my dad, not so much.
RobertO