Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who likes sushi?  (Read 38773 times)

TtotheE

Re:Who likes sushi?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2004, 01:25:15 PM »

Traditionally soy sauce was used to weaken the "raw" flavor of the fish.  Also, wasabi has bacteria eliminating properties.  Try a google search on "how to eat sushi".  Most sites will say not to dip the rice, but the fish side(we're talking sushi with the ball of rice and slice of fish on top -"nigiri")  This may change how sushi tastes for those of you who do not eat it this way already  ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2004, 01:54:57 PM »

Love sushi, lots of wasabi and soy

BirdNester

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2004, 03:38:22 PM »

Traditionally soy sauce was used to weaken the "raw" flavor of the fish.  Also, wasabi has bacteria eliminating properties.

I am under the impression that most spices, such as kurrie, were used to hide the bad smell and taste of rotten food because back in the day there was no refridgeration.
Hey, Rodney, start a fun fact thread.
RobertO
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 03:38:45 PM by BirdNester »

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2004, 05:12:54 PM »

I once went to a sushi place because I was trying to impress a super foxy blond chick and I mean she was on fire! so anyway I ate all this raw food including salmon but I drew the line at roe :P personaly I think raw food is just that, raw food.Deep fry the damn thing and we can talk.Oh ya it wasnt worth the effort if ya know what I mean :(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2004, 05:17:41 PM »

Maybe you should start training with ThickRick. ;D

So can people post what kind of sushi they enjoy?

Personally...

Mackerel tuna, cheap, yet delicious.

Saba! Mackerel... hmmm... Very fishy taste, but hmm.... :)

Sweet shrimp....ooooh.....

hmm....

Aurora

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2004, 07:10:18 PM »

Uni (Sea Urchin)
Yum  

;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2004, 09:24:04 PM »

Hope Nina isn't reading this Rodney, all this Hmmmmm and ooooh  ;D

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2004, 10:51:17 AM »

I wouldn't eat any raw fish period. It's not just the worms and parasites, the bacteria alone is more scary. Did you know that Japanese people have the highest rate of stomach cancer in the world?

Japan also has one of the longest life expectancies in the world.
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

Bantam_50

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2004, 09:43:40 PM »

Hmmmm...Rod your pic isn't showing for me.

Anyhow not sure if you'd call this sushi...but on a Winter steelhead trip over on the Stamp many years ago....my buddy and I had fished the morning away and after slogging through a foot of snow on the way back to camp we came across a fellow angler we knew also camped. When walking up to pay a visit and see how he'd made out fishing, we both are stopped dead in our tracks by this absolute mouth watering smell coming from his camper van. Both thinking of a heaping pile of bacon and eggs, we pop our heads into the camper van announcing our presence and if he had some extra breaky for us. After a quick "morning fellas", he said sure there's lots and removed the cast iron frying pan from his stove top to show us 2 big fresh sizzling strips of steelhead roe. "Got this one this morning, I don't mind sharing", he said with a wily grin. Well my bait box (of steely roe) was on my hip and you can't image how fast our appetites quickly waned. We both abruptly stated (trying to hide that we truly were starving) that we were joking and wouldn't want to intrude. He just chuckled and slipped the frying pan back onto the stove. I can still hear him laughing after we headed off to camp for breakfast.

When we got to camp and told my buddies dad, he laughed so hard and said, "bet you guys were shocked". So for those who relish a breakfast of fresh pan fried steelhead roe, dig in...I'll stick to bacon and eggs.  ;)

Oh and I do like sushi, with lots of wasabi and ginger.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 09:47:22 PM by Bantam_50 »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2004, 01:37:35 PM »

;D ;D ;D

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2004, 03:43:18 PM »

Leadbelly,
Dip your Sushi in tempura batter before you deep fry it :o  Maybe it was the fork & knife that didn't work for her ;D

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2004, 08:52:54 PM »

not on your life would i eat it. i would rather drink a ckoe first/lmao/hehe ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Michael

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2004, 01:21:56 PM »

Favorites are:

Sockeye Salmon, home made – Atlantic is all fat with no taste
Uni – Sea urchin, especially fresh right out of the shell
Hamachi – yellow tail
Mirugai – geoduck
Amaebi – Sweet shrimp
Ikura – salmon roe
Unagi – eel
Aji – Horse mackerel

Steak – blue rare

Nothing like pure fish without globs of spices to cover the true taste (YES, challenging). Just dip the sashimi in good soy sauce and add a little washibi on top.

p.s. For those making washibi from powder use only clean cold water, DON'T mix the powder with soy sauce unless you like bitter green glob. Make only as needed. Anyone know why overnight Washibi losses it's taste.

Michael.

fisherkingnigel

• Fishing is a passion...without it what would i do?
    • Tsurishop Japan-Authentic Japanese Fishing Tackle
Re: Who likes sushi?
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2004, 09:04:37 PM »

Well in Japan I've eaten just about every wierd type of food known to man.

How about sashimi whale? I know some might balk and cry but I had to order some to see how it would taste. Not bad but not again.

An other was sashimi chicken!! I ate it once but was a little reluctent cuz I was worried about salmonelia.

I'd say my best fish for sashimi is taro (tuna belly with lots of fat), adji, hamachi, suzuki (seabass) and Anago (salt eel).

Nigelman

MERC

• Old Timer
Re: Who likes sushi?
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2004, 11:03:51 PM »

Being Japanese, I grew up eating the stuff.  Favorite?  Probably Uni.  Although raw ebi also is delectable.  Tuna and salmon seem so blase nowadays.  I remember in elementary school, it was considered strange and now some schools actually serve the stuff!

I don't think Wasabi loses its taste so much as it loses its kick.  I find the powdered stuff tends to lose potency pretty quickly after mixing.  Also, the powdered stuff seems to go stale even before you mix it if you've had it awhile.  The stuff that comes in tubes (pre-mixed) seems to hold its kick a lot  longer but it's more expensive in the long run.
President Club S. C. & P.