Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lots of jumping in Richmond  (Read 5254 times)

lowlight

Lots of jumping in Richmond
« on: August 26, 2005, 03:47:45 PM »

When riding down Dyke Rd today in Richmond (between #3 pier and london landing) there were tons of fish jumping. I've been down that way every day for the past week or 2, and haven't seen anything until today.

Time to shower and get down there!

I can't tell if they were pinks or sockeye or whatever though.

EDIT: The tides are barely moving today 12.6 > 10.6 > 13.5 meters today. Is that a good thing? Usually the low tide is around 2 meters.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 03:53:20 PM by lowlight »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Lots of jumping in Richmond
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 05:01:20 PM »

Most are sockeyes, some are pinks. A friend of mine, one of the earliest members of this forum, was down there around noon today. His dad managed to hook one, but it popped off soon after. Starting now, in the next three weeks or so, the fishing should be very good. Two hours before peak tide is best. :)

Barbless hook on the lure only, no treble hook. Daily quota for pink salmon is 4 fish per day per person. Make sure you have a salmon stamp on your licence is you decide to keep fish. Please release any sockeye salmon with care. If you are unsure what a pink salmon looks like, please visit this page. Pink salmon have large oval spots on their back and tail. The male has a large hump on its back.

If you see any violations, such as keeping more than four fish per day, double dipping, using treble hooks and intentionally snagging fish, please contact DFO Steveston at 604-664-9250.

Keep in mind that there maybe a commercial protest fishery tomorrow, I am still trying to get information on that. There is also a FN fishery going on this weekend as well.

Have fun this weekend.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 09:05:26 PM »

Need spoons? ;)

Still a bit too early I feel, most fish are sockeyes. Plenty more to come. :)

I might drop by tomorrow afternoon to take a look.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 09:41:34 PM »

was out there observing the drift netters and shore fishermen. saw plenty of jumpers.  decided not to fish, but was fortunate to meet a member of FWR. through friendly conversation and small talk this guy and i realized we shared a common bond. 

its was nice to meet you 'dan the man'...nice to meet your brother and sister too :)

FishinDawg

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 10:20:31 PM »

The ones jumpin are all socks. Most of em anyway. I know cause i snagged one the other day. And not alot of pinks being caught. Its still kinda early since all the fish are late this year. Wait another week, then its gonna be loaded.

lowlight

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 11:26:10 PM »

Went out today, and even though they were jumping EVERYWHERE, they were all sockeyes. People in boats were hauling in loads of them. Not all were native either.

While I was there, a couple of natives drove by in their car, yelling out the windows "CATCH AND RELEASE GUYS! HAHAHAHA!". Not sure how long I'll sympathise with them when they do cupcakes like that.

I met an old angler who insisted that sockeye season was open for all. I guess his line of thinking was "if the natives can keep them, so can we". I told him I was more concerned with conservation than worrying what racial groups were doing, especially when plenty of the poachers out there are as white as I. After a couple beers, he was more interested in chatting than fishing ;)

He also poked fun at an asian man for keeping bullheads... I personally think that's kind of gross, but there are some other things asians eat that are worse than bullheads ;)

The day ended without a bite. Not even one of the sockeye that practically jumped onto the pier itself. Don't they bite at all? I guess that's a good thing considering the tackle I use currently ;)

No pinks yet :(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 11:52:43 PM »

Who's going down there tomorrow? If people want, I have a stack of DFO salmon id cards and rockfish id sheets (colourful, not black and white) etc that can be handed out to you if interested. I want those cards to go out to as many people as possible so people are not bonking the wrong salmon species.

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 11:39:52 AM »

Ill be down there today... Nice to meet you blaydRnr, maybe your picked up your salt water licence and we can do some fishing.! :D

DaN
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 11:42:25 AM by DaN ThE MaN »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 11:40:41 AM »

fishersak just phoned, he wants to go down there. I told him I'll probably go down there around 2pm to catch the last part of the incoming tide.

lowlight

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 07:17:04 PM »

Rode by again today, and wow there sure were a lot of anglers along Dyke road, between London Landing and No 3 Pier. I really hope they were going for pinks and not insisting to snag sockeyes all day "cause the natives are doing it" :-X

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 07:58:21 PM »

Rode by again today, and wow there sure were a lot of anglers along Dyke road, between London Landing and No 3 Pier. I really hope they were going for pinks and not insisting to snag sockeyes all day "cause the natives are doing it" :-X

You can rest assured that they were fishing for pinks. Not a bouncing betty to be seen anywhere.

lowlight

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 08:12:09 PM »

You can rest assured that they were fishing for pinks. Not a bouncing betty to be seen anywhere.
Good stuff. I found on that the guy I was talking to last week WAS using that type of weight. He even gave me 'tips' on how to fish this way... Using a barbed hook too.

Thanks but no thanks. I might be new to this, but I am not that interested in snagging fish who are trying to reproduce.