Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: For the absolute newbie  (Read 8954 times)

lowlight

For the absolute newbie
« on: August 18, 2005, 06:24:19 PM »

I'd like to hit the Fraser for the first time, fishing for pink salmon. I have never fished for anything other than trout in lakes and rivers, and occasional jigging for cod when I was a kid.

Now I just started getting back into it, so my gear is limited. I have:

-A light rod with spinning reel. I think it will take up to 10 lbs test.

-Some trout lures and spoons. Lots of split shots and swivels.

-Fish whacker, to clobber the ones I keep.

-Small cooler to put the fish in to take home.

-90% empty tackle box.

So what are the MUST-HAVEs for fishing the fraser? Should I get a net to aid in retrieval? I was planning on following LV's advice on the croc spoons for lures, but what else should be tried? Should I not bother with 10 lb test and get a thicker rod and heavier line?

What am I missing here? Please help a newbie!

Thanks!

Straight Runner

Re: For the absolute newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 10:26:01 PM »

I'd get some heavier line, and while you're at the tackle shop ask them...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 10:31:20 PM »

If you are just planning to fish for pinks a spinning rod with 10 lb. test is sufficient. In terms of lures, get yourself some small zzingers, buzz bombs or Rodney's spoons. At $2.50 each it's a steal.

TtotheE

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 10:31:34 PM »

For the tidal portion of the Fraser,  that's all you'd really need.  10 lb test is plenty.  Landing a fish can be tricky at times with all those big rocks, so a landing net could help you from getting wet.  Rod peddles some spoons and spinners that seem to work well for the pinks.  :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 12:57:21 AM »

The spinning reel should be large enough, a 2500 Shimano model should do the job. Front drag works better than rear drag.

Both 8 and 10lb test Maxima Ultragreen work very well. Don't go down to 6lb test. It's doable, but you'll find yourself changing your mainline once a week if you fish with it everyday.

Pink, orange and green are the colours to look for. 1/4oz is a good lure casting weight. Smaller than that, you'll need some split shots above the lure to reach the distance.

Do a search on the forum, under general discussion, you'll find about a dozen Fraser River pink salmon topics from the last two months. :)

lowlight

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 01:40:09 AM »

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I am mostly covered.

But I was thinking more of some other things I would need to take, besides tackle. Obviously a fishing license is needed (and I have that), and the net is a great suggestion. What else? I have pliers, knife, etc.

What is the best way to store fish you plan on retaining? just throw them in bag in a chilled cooler?

It's things like these that only come with experience, and I have none. That's why I'm pleading for help :)

I have a Shimano 2500, and 10 lbs test. By the sounds of it, this is sufficient for pinks. And apparently sockeyes rarely strike anyway, so I'm not that worried about a monster ripping my rod apart or something ;)

I stocked up on plenty of brass/orange spoons, and others with bright colours. I am going to de-barb the hooks tomorrow.

What is the best casting method? Just cast and retreive over and over? Should I avoid the bottom?

Again, no experience. Thanks for your patience :)

P.S. where do you buy Rod's tackle?

P.S.2. I just realized, I must need a saltwater license, since it's the tidal part of the river. Right?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 01:46:13 AM by lowlight »

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 02:22:50 AM »

You need salt water licence for sure to fish tidal Fraser.

After I get fish I intend to keep, I immediately "club it", and in next 1/2 hour I will take gills out, let fish to bleed (head pointing downwards), and take fish stomach out. Generally I secure my fish in the water (with a stick passing through mouth and gill area, stuck into ground, or by making a small pond surrounded by rocks, a rope could work too), if I do not have a cooler, to keep it out of heat. You do not want to keep fish in heat for too long time, otherwise you will get a roten boot.

For other things, search this web site. In general cast and retrieve will work, and stay out of bottom to avoid snags.

Good Luck

lowlight

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 02:33:44 AM »

So you gut it right there on the spot? Or is that only for when you don't have a cooler?

Thanks for all the help. This is really helpful. I have been looking all throughout the backlogs of the forum, and am learning more every minute :D

But most people just don't bring up the 'basics' simply because they've been fishing for so long, and it's all second nature to them.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 02:48:04 AM »

lowlight:

If you are fishing below CPR Bridge in Mission on the Fraser River, you will need a tidal Licence. You will also need a salmon conservation stamp if you intend to keep the salmon you catch (you do not need the stamp if you are just catching and releasing them).

If you are fishing above CPR Bridge in Mission on the Fraser River, you will need a freshwater licence. You will also need a salmon stamp if you are fishing for salmon (note the difference to tidal licence).

It is common to gut the fish at your fishing spot, but just remember:

• Throw the fish guts into the river because guts on the river bank will be very smelly the day after.
  • You are not allowed to cut the head off, or fillet the fish, for identification purpose if a conservation officer is checking your fish.

Like what hiker said, club/bonk the fish immediately when you land it if you intend to keep it. I usually like to bleed the fish right away and if time permits I'll gut it right there too.

Get yourself a net, it'll make things easier. A catch & release net with a diameter around 20 in is sufficient enough for pink salmon. They are around $40 each I think. Go for the catch and release net so you can land and release any fish you do not intend to keep easily.

If you are fishing in a stream like the Vedder River, keeping the fish in the water can keep it fresh. If you are fishing in the Fraser River, having the fish placed in a cooler packed with ice is the ideal method for preservation.

Note: Currently tidal Fraser River is opened for pink salmon fish with a daily quota of 4 fish. Non-tidal Fraser River and Vedder River are not opened for pink salmon fishing yet, opportunities to be announced.

Some more info:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2001/0801_01.html

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2001/0801_03.html

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 02:48:58 AM »

I gut it on the spot for two reasons:

1) less chances to spoil meat
2) easier done than in my kitchen (with big size fish)

lowlight

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 03:03:50 AM »

Thanks again! I have read all your articles, and the info on gutting is very helpful and important :)

I also want to try carp fishing one day.. quickly - is that doable from the shore? I guess according to the guide, Burnaby Lake and Deer lake are good for Carp. But I don't have a boat, so I wonder how that would go... I know you are supposed to fish the bottom for carp, and in lakes that means a lot of snags, especially by the shore.

Oh and one more important thing - where do I find a tide chart for the lower Fraser? I'll be fishing in Richmond mostly.

Last Cast

• Live to Fish ~ Fish to Live
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 06:56:27 AM »

lowlight, here's one of the better tide charts ... from the drop-down menu, click on Steveston (Richmond).

http://www.lau.chs-shc.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/cgi-bin/tide-shc.cgi?queryType=showZone&language=english&region=1&zone=10

;)

lowlight

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 12:30:45 PM »

lowlight, here's one of the better tide charts ... from the drop-down menu, click on Steveston (Richmond).

http://www.lau.chs-shc.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/cgi-bin/tide-shc.cgi?queryType=showZone&language=english&region=1&zone=10

;)
Thanks. As luck would have it, that site is down :(

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2005, 01:22:37 PM »

I bleed the fish immediately after I kill it. I then clean it and put it on ice. In the absence of ice you can place a wet piece of newspaper over the fish to keep it cool.

lowlight

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2005, 06:11:42 PM »

Well my first trip came up empty. I didn't see any fish breaching the surface, and by the looks of it, all the netters were coming up short still.

Next time I'll bring some shrimp or something, so I can pull in some tommys to salvage the day, if the pinks aren't here yet ;)